Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
+/- of drilling or replacing muffler (Read 611 times)
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
+/- of drilling or replacing muffler
10/30/12 at 07:25:05

Had my bike in to replace a defective turn signal and cylinder head leak, and the mechanic wants to sell me on installing a SuperTrapp muffler. He claims the bike will run cooler with a less restrictive exhaust and reduce the chances of a future oil leak or head plug problem as well as improve performance dramatically. I'm wonder what others have experienced with aftermarket exhausts on their bikes, and also whether simply drilling a few holes in the baffles of the existing muffler will achieve essentially the same improvements. I am not looking for ways to make the bike sound cooler -- just ways to have it run cooler, and perhaps a little better. Thanks!

- David
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: +/- of drilling or replacing muffler
Reply #1 - 10/30/12 at 07:40:13

Changing the muffler will not reduce the temperatures or reduce oil leaks.  Changing the muffler and changing carb jets and the slide needle position can make the bike run smoother and make if more fun.  You can drill some holes in the stock muffler and some are happy with the results.

The Dyna muffler conversion is good and is a bit louder - but not too loud in my opinion.  The Supertrapp is too loud for my old ears - I have a nice one for sale in the MarketPlace Section as I like the DYNA muffler better.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 10/30/12 at 07:43:41

I think your mechanic just wants some extra bucks...

If you want better breahing,nicer tone, an 10lbs less weight,... get a Harley shorty for $20 or $30 bucks...

I've had bad luck with Supertrapps... poorly made, cheap chrome discolors and scratches easy... bolts break, and packing blows out fast... way too pricey for the quality of build..

Cooler?... if the stock muffler made the engine run hotter,... I think we'd see more blued pipes on bikes with stock mufflers... which hasn't been the case...
I call Bullpucky... Huh....

(I just swapped Gerry's Supertrapp for a Harley shorty, yesterday)...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 10/30/12 at 08:14:40

+1 on the greedy mechanic.    He knows he is signing you up for several service calls while he slowly puts in the jetting and air filtration systems to balance out that noisy muffler.

Dyna muffler (take off Harley muffler) is cheap to free, and it is the best balance of sound and performance we have found to date.

Here is your tech thread on the dyna muffler.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1298689417/14#14

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
heroicseven

oops, I broke it.

San Diego
Reply #4 - 10/30/12 at 08:46:22

The super trapp is one of the best upgrades I've made. There's one in the marketplace if you are so inclined, but my bike runs a lot better. Smoother and quicker. You will have to jet for it but once its dialed in the sound and performance is nice. I couldn't justify the $400 retail, but a nice second hand for under 200 has left me very pleased. I don't have a lot extra to spare but it was a huge step up from the Dyna muffler. IMO

I still think the mechanic is Tryin to take you  Angry

00' raptor - supertrapp - 52.5 - 155 - half spacer - versaved
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 10/30/12 at 08:54:51

+1 horse pucky

was he sellin' klotz too?

I like the supertrapps for the sound and ease of tuning.
but for $20 or so bucks, an HD take off can't be beat.

WWW   IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #6 - 10/30/12 at 09:43:09

Thanks. I'm getting the idea that the Harley muffler is preferred by most, but wondering what advantages of the SuperTrapp are for the one respondent who likes it here. Also wondering what advantage the Harley muffler has over just drilling some holes in the stock muffler baffles. What kind of rejetting is typically needed if I go the Harley muffler route? Right now, the bike backfires badly and I'm hoping going up a size in the pilot jet will fix that, along with readjusting the idle mix screw. Will I need to modify those changes if I go with a less restrictive muffler?

- David
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 10/30/12 at 09:44:53

Ive Got a Supertrapp. Its a Good muffler, but its a TON of $$$ & for next to Nothing, a DYna, which is better looking IMO, can be had, youll get a decent performance boost, nice sound & for almost no money.,,or, you can have the the same performance boost ( within fractions of a HP) for $400.00.. Dude, do it yourself, do the Dyna, YOUll never wish youd spent that other $380.00 for that fraction of a HP..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #8 - 10/30/12 at 09:52:00

I'm getting convinced. Given that it's been 33 years since I've done much messing with a bike, it would be helpful to have more step-by-step instructions than on the thread linked to earlier in this one. Is there more info elsewhere that people have found helpful? In addition to installing the muffler, I'm wondering about other modifications I'll need to make to take advantage of the reduced back pressure so the bike runs cooler and doesn't backfire.

What, besides the sound, have people liked about replacing the stock muffler with the dyna one? How does it perform better?

- David
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 10/30/12 at 10:05:21

Running cooler is not a function of the muffler....that mechanic steered you wrong on that issue.  Less back pressure in the exhaust will help you to get better performance.....not better mileage or run any cooler.

The bike from the factory is jetted to run very nearly lean at Sea Level, and when you go up in elevation and/or make changes to the intake or exhaust system you need to do a little work to the carb to make the bike run smooth.  You will never get rid of the backfires completely - but you can make them less severe and less often.

I believe the DYNA muffler weighs much less than the stock one and is less restrictive - which will help with the performance and with jetting will make the bike accelerate and run smoothly.  The DNYA muffler is smaller and sleeker than the stock muffler.

IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #10 - 10/30/12 at 10:17:07

So, with less restrictive exhaust, would the bike tend to run even leaner without adjusting the carb? And would I need to richen the mix at all levels (idle, pilot jet, main jet, adjust the needle) to keep it from running too lean?

- David
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 10/30/12 at 11:39:48

Depends on elevation, mostly...
Serowbot's carb tuning tips for beginners...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 10/30/12 at 11:41:23

DavidOfMA wrote on 10/30/12 at 10:17:07:
So, with less restrictive exhaust, would the bike tend to run even leaner without adjusting the carb? And would I need to richen the mix at all levels (idle, pilot jet, main jet, adjust the needle) to keep it from running too lean?

Everything I read says that when you make the exhaust and the intake flow better.....you will probably have to increase a jet somewhere.  I believe the effects at lower rpm's are probably less noticeable - as the flow restrictions were probably not bad at low power settings.

I have only ridden one completely stock bike when I was looking for a bike to buy.  It had a noticeable uneven feel to it just off idle, and when you were cruising at low throttle settings the bike felt like you were riding behind a semi and the wind was buffeting you.....the bike should not feel like that at any throttle settings.  A properly jetted bike runs really smooth.

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #13 - 10/30/12 at 11:48:34

verslagen1 wrote on 10/30/12 at 08:54:51:
was he sellin' klotz too?

OH NO YOU DIDN'T!!!   Grin

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
MiCTLaN

O_o

Winter Haven, FL
Reply #14 - 10/30/12 at 14:54:51

I put a Dyna on mine a couple of weeks ago and only bumped up the main jet one size and did the spacer mod with the washers included in Lancer's jet kit.  Aside from some issues I had with getting everything to clamp tightly, it's the best $45 or so I've put into a bike yet (price includes the muffler, assorted clamp accouterments, jet kit, and a 12 pack of Krystal burgers).

It now has better sound, better acceleration, and somehow better gas mileage... I believe the latter has more to do with cleaning the carb and getting everything adjusted well (more or less) than adding the exhaust though.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 12:30:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › +/- of drilling or replacing muffler

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.