Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Rquarantello's  rear tire and head leak (Read 366 times)
rquarantello4232

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rquarantello's  rear tire and head leak
10/29/12 at 13:13:48

[color=#00ff00][/color]Hey everyone, I just purchased an 01 suzuki savage ls650 for $300. Has a small oil leak and a flat tire, couldnt have gotten a better deal. The oil leak is the i belive most widely know oil leak to happen to this bike. It is near the top of the cylinder head right behind where the muffler bolts in. Something about a nut cap or something that always leaks. The part is $5 but a dealership charges $300. I have the complete manual and am very handy with tools and have the time to set aside 4-6 hours going slowly and taking everything off to re-seal the gasket cap or wtv. My first of many questions is should I?? Lets say i keep the engine in the frame which others say I am able to do to fix this small leak, what all can go wrong. I know i have to keep all the bolts in order because they are different lengths and what is there anything I need to be aware of first before trying, Like something I shouldtn do that is irreversable if I should happen to do so??

thanks for any info

« Last Edit: 10/31/12 at 11:41:30 by Oldfeller--FSO »  
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: excited Newb for 01 suzuki savage ls650 with Q
Reply #1 - 10/29/12 at 13:43:58

Instructions here...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1099227295

Many how-to's here...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1181745927

Ps.. just don't overuse the RTV sealant and plug up an oil passage... that's about all you can do wrong... Wink...

PS.. Welcome Savager... Smiley...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
rquarantello4232

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/29/12 at 13:58:58

yep thats the site Ive looked at before and thats teh problem.  Now reading through that, I have questions on verbage and what certain things are.

1st-  it states when you take of the head covers, you have to clean all the sealent off real well but not scrap or gouge it.  So how do you do that?? My first guess is a couple of damp rags and some windex.  Would that work?

2nd-Something about remembering to replace the stainless screen in the oil breather?   All of that is clueless to me.  Im guesssing I will knwo what it is when i take off the top but do you or anyone have any pictures of what i can expect to see??

3rd-Someone commented that before you take off anything, "set the engine to TDCC or TDC so that you release the pressure in the valves"   Where is the button i push to set the engine to TDCC???

4th-Someone said to make you when putting it all back together, to remember to put the oil screen all the way inside the head cover?   Again like the screen and oil breather thing, is it an actual screen taht i just put in there or what should i be looking for.  The manual really doesnt give good pictures on this step by step process.

this leak really isnt a big deal and i could prolly ride on without fixing it as long as i watch my oil levels but i think it would be cool to fix it. I have to wait a week anyways to get my rear tire tube in anyways. I might just have to "sink or swim" and slowly take it apart and if i f**k up, take a bunch of pictures and post on here again   haha

Thanks again to everyone!!!

IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #3 - 10/29/12 at 14:11:57

rq,
Welcome and listen to the old pro's here. They are a wealth of knowledge and sound advice. And I am certain one or two of them will relish the opportunity to tell you where the button is to set TDC. Undecided

How many miles on the bike? I purchased a 2007 earlier in the year and developed the oil leak you describe. You may very well have a leaking head plug but I found the oil leak I had came from a loose head bolt on the front of the cylinder just below and to the right of the exhaust header. Get down low and take a look at this bolt before you tear into it.

Good Hunting

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 10/29/12 at 14:46:41

rquarantello4232 wrote on 10/29/12 at 13:58:58:
1st-  it states when you take of the head covers, you have to clean all the sealent off real well but not scrap or gouge it.  So how do you do that?? My first guess is a couple of damp rags and some windex.  Would that work?

No, not windex, though I've never tried that.  a little gas and a plastic scraper, final clean with acetone, but it depends on what they sealed it with.  some are easier than others.

Quote:
3rd-Someone commented that before you take off anything, "set the engine to TDCC or TDC so that you release the pressure in the valves"   Where is the button i push to set the engine to TDCC???

Button? roflmao
See the link in my sig? Click it and find adjust valves.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
rquarantello4232

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 10/29/12 at 15:23:01

Blinky-im 99% sure this cap is where my leak is coming from.  I will clean up all the leaked oil over time and let the bike run for 10-15 just to get that 1% confirmation but from the buildup from that bolt, that is the area where all the oil is leaking from.  

Ver-told you i was a noob.   I dont see the link in your sig to click,  still new to the site so not even 100% onwhat you mean by sig  lol.  maybe signature??

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 10/29/12 at 15:32:39

rquarantello4232 wrote on 10/29/12 at 15:23:01:
Ver-told you i was a noob.   I dont see the link in your sig to click,  still new to the site so not even 100% onwhat you mean by sig  lol.  maybe signature??

signatures are at the bottom of the posts, mine has an orange pointing to a line of text, which is a link.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 10/29/12 at 16:45:26

rquarantello4232 wrote on 10/29/12 at 13:13:48:
Hey everyone, I just purchased an 01 suzuki savage ls650 for $300. Has a small oil leak and a flat tire, couldnt have gotten a better deal. The oil leak is the i belive most widely know oil leak to happen to this bike. It is near the top of the cylinder head right behind where the muffler bolts in. Something about a nut cap or something that always leaks. The part is $5 but a dealership charges $300. I have the complete manual and am very handy with tools and have the time to set aside 4-6 hours going slowly and taking everything off to re-seal the gasket cap or wtv. My first of many questions is should I?? Lets say i keep the engine in the frame which others say I am able to do to fix this small leak, what all can go wrong. I know i have to keep all the bolts in order because they are different lengths and what is there anything I need to be aware of first before trying, Like something I shouldtn do that is irreversable if I should happen to do so??

thanks for any info

You have the complete manual?   Which manual do you have?  Very important for us to know which manual version you have as you will be reading from it in between talking to us.

For example, some manuals say the carburetor has a plastic float assembly and some manuals say it is made of Styrofoam filled fiberglass, but only the very most modern manuals can be trusted to give the correct answer.

Which does your manual say for the '01 Savage?     Some manuals have errors in them, you know.

======================

Serowbot is moderator in training on this section so he will be the one helping you mostly.

Us older moderators will be watching from the sidelines and only kicking in as necessary.

Smiley

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
tarkm812
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Island
Reply #8 - 10/29/12 at 17:25:50

I replaced this "rubber plug" based on this site's abundent info and experienced members without difficulties.  Couple of things I can pass on are DON'T use 12 point sockets.  Rounded out a bolt head.  Remember to put the very top center bolt in before you reposition the head cover or you will be re doing your RTV line. The bolt will not clear the frame. I remembered this from reading this advice.  I cleaned the surface with contact cleaner from radio shack.  works great.  I went for really clean surface (don't cheat) and thin consistent rtv line and slow reposition and no leaks.  Dive right in it's easy.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 10/29/12 at 18:04:03

rquarantello4232 wrote on 10/29/12 at 13:58:58:
yep thats the site Ive looked at before and thats teh problem.  Now reading through that, I have questions on verbage and what certain things are.

A plastic scraper, or a spatula from the kitchen and some carb cleaner will do...

2nd-Something about remembering to replace the stainless screen in the oil breather?   All of that is clueless to me.  Im guesssing I will knwo what it is when i take off the top but do you or anyone have any pictures of what i can expect to see??
You'll see it,.. looks like a metal scrubby sponge, or a wad of steel wool...
How to find TDC...http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1278347767
4th-Someone said to make you when putting it all back together, to remember to put the oil screen all the way inside the head cover?   Again like the screen and oil breather thing, is it an actual screen taht i just put in there or what should i be looking for.  The manual really doesnt give good pictures on this step by step process.
That's the scrubby sponge
this leak really isnt a big deal and i could prolly ride on without fixing it as long as i watch my oil levels but i think it would be cool to fix it. I have to wait a week anyways to get my rear tire tube in anyways. I might just have to "sink or swim" and slowly take it apart and if i f**k up, take a bunch of pictures and post on here again   haha

Thanks again to everyone!!!

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 10/30/12 at 10:07:20

Where'd he go?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 10/30/12 at 10:18:17

He's trying to be a little more honest with us now ....  using a real name now (might even be his).

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
rquarantello4232

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 10/30/12 at 11:44:04

haha im still here, ordered some parts online, ie. fuel line filter, new rear tire tube, oil filter, air filter, and a mega horn just for fun,  i want a honk honk sound if someones coming into my lane, not a beep beep.  So ill have to wait for these parts as well as a full day off before i can change the rear tire and nervously take apart the top of my engine.  Thank you all for the advice. I still have other questions but wont ask until i have my manual infront on me, (which i also need to see what year the manual is for oldfeller) and i buy the rtv sealant.  Thanks again!!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #13 - 10/30/12 at 12:22:46

And so, he has his manual sitting right in front of him but cannot say which brand of manual it is or what year(s) it covers.

you are still here, all right.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
rquarantello4232

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 10/30/12 at 12:39:58

no no no,  im at work and my manual is al la casa,  so ill have an answer around 7.  i downloaded the manual offline at this website    http://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.php/8648947-suzuki-ls650-savage-service-ma...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 12:21:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rquarantello's  rear tire and head leak

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.