Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Rquarantello's  rear tire and head leak (Read 366 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: excited Newb for 01 suzuki savage ls650 with Q
Reply #15 - 10/30/12 at 15:31:50

You need to learn how to ask here first before you run out and do things like paying $19.99 for an electronic manual.

Electronic manuals are available here on the list for free -- see Index in Tech Documents/Reference Section.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1181745927

==================

If you have bought a Clymers or a Suzuki Shop Manual for your $19.99 here is a listing of all the known errors.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1119775997

Generally what we ask paper book newbies to do is to go through their manual and correct each instance of error in red ink.  This saves you from frickups as you go through a repair job.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 10/30/12 at 17:24:42

If I may be so bold, please, allow an old dude to toss out an idea or two.

Go slow. YOuve stated youre excited, & I get that, but thats a great way to dive in too deep for your level of knowledge & expertise. As stated above, before you go buying manuals, ask the board what manual to get. They arent all created equal, but, the knowledge on the board can meke them equal. Before ya start in one a project that may be more than youre really ready for, ask here, check th e tech section. Tons of hours have gone into creating a library of proven methods of problem solving & put there for your use. Make the most of it, its free & its priceless. None of it is there because of me,,

Find a problem that gonna stop you from riding it? Study up, run a post, describe what youre planning on doing,wait for thumbs up or advice guiding you on your way. Go into it, come to a question in the process, go to that thread, ask for help. We can see what youre doing, how youre going at it & you can tell where you are & whats got you in a bind. People will offer solutions, youll pick one & take a run at it.,,

If youre like me, you need more than 1 project going at any one time. I need several. Some days, I cant do technical, some days, I cant do labor, heck, some days I cant even get dressed, so, If you want to tackle a wheel/tire problem at the same time youre working on the plug leak, cool,but cover that engine up if its open, even if youre not doing anything else, I never walk away from an open engine w/o covering it with clean rags,

If you need a tube, youre gonna wish you had someone else install it. Thats gonna run around $30.00. Unless that tire is almost brand new & a good quality tire, you may want to just replace it. If it got much of a wound that made you need a tube thats even more reason to ditch the tire,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
07s40scotty

If it doesn't kill
you- it makes you
stronger

TN
Reply #17 - 10/30/12 at 20:35:55

I don't want to seem outta line Oldfeller- but alot of your replys directed at us newbs just seem alittle condesending. Like we're all part of some conspiracy or something. ie: real name & the plastic float stuff. Alot of us just need some helpful advice & it seems 1 azz is makin us all seem like villans in your eyes.
You might delete this but I just thought you'd like to know it's quite intimidating and really not necessary. I've been afraid to post some of my ?'s for fear of being put in some Mr. Orange file or something  Huh

IP Logged
rquarantello4232

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 10/30/12 at 20:48:23

being bold is perfectly fine, ill take and accept any criticism.   The reason i bought the manual is because it took almost a full week to get authorized to post on this site. So by the 6th day, i figured there was some application error and I was just going to have to tackle everything by reading a manual. So i bought it and bright and early the next morning, my user name and pass are authorized to use the site. Thats the only reason. But yes, my first project is the back tire becuase the leak isnt terrible it just colors my chrome. The rear tire looks like it has 85% life left so im going to go ahead and try to change it out.  I have the money to have someone do it for me if it becomes to much of a hassle but my career took a 180 so id like to have something else to take pride in so by trying it first, its just to me the best way to learn. I can pay whatever to have someone else do it if i cant finish it.

IP Logged
rquarantello4232

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 10/30/12 at 20:55:52

Scotty I see your point, but I personally didnt take offense to it. It will take more of a verbal azz kicking then that to make me think otherwise. When I was a newb as a cop, i took it for 4 months,  even when i was right i was wrong,  but I thank them to this day for everything they told me because Im still alive.  I think of it in the same way, whatever someone tells me i dont take as offensive because down the line, I guarantee it will have saved time and money.

IP Logged
07s40scotty

If it doesn't kill
you- it makes you
stronger

TN
Reply #20 - 10/30/12 at 21:23:08

I wasn't talkin only about you. Oldfeller gives some awesome advise but latley he's been on a manhunt of sorts that I dont really get is all.

We're all supposed to be here to try to help ( although my "help" for people is somewhat limited.)

If you flub your carb I can prolly help tho because I've had mine apart so many times I see it in my sleep  Cheesy

IP Logged
rquarantello4232

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 10/30/12 at 21:27:28

Haha, I'll pm you if that happens. Lol.   Thanks!!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #22 - 10/30/12 at 21:32:53

Scotty,

Referencing Orange/Wernwilk/etc.  ---- as long as we have a troll signing on as "endless newbies" and wasting the helper's time asking pointless questions and not following what he is referred to do, each real newbie that shows up will feel like they are being looked at askance, mainly because they are.

Part of this issue comes from the list owner not providing the moderators the IP address tools so we can more readily find our little friend when he pops back up.

This is supposed to be in process of being rectified, but until it does folks who exhibit posting characteristics that are shared by our little buddy are gonna feel like they are getting a bit of the stink eye (because they are).

And when the IP tools become available, some of the newbies will likely disappear suddenly.

Now, is this troll helping the list be open nice and friendly, no not really -- he is seeking his own jollies in his own fashion.   And we will be calling him out as we are able to detect him.

That's my job as head cop, I get to take all the heat for being the bad cop.

And you will notice all our new moderators were selected by me from the very nicest sorts of people, so they can be nice cops.

So yes, if you want my attention you can have it and I don't really mind telling you the truth about the situation either.

Two things can happen, Orange/Wernwilk/whatever can grow up and start using his own name and start asking real questions as he gets to the point of doing stuff and he can start listening when he gets a test or a path to follow or he will continue to do what he has been doing, which is pretty much self-destructive and stupid.

We have invested over 20 pages of our group time and effort in helping this individual, to the point folks are getting tired of it.

And if the real newbies act normally, they really don't have any issues as very few people actually act like Orange/Wernwilk and they won't catch the stink eye.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
07s40scotty

If it doesn't kill
you- it makes you
stronger

TN
Reply #23 - 10/30/12 at 21:33:41

I did my rear tire myself & it took 3 tries to get it right. Just take it slow. The tech section is a great took for stuff like that...

I used to pay out the azz for someone to do repair & maint. stuff for me too-  but I lost everything- wife, house truck even the freakin cat lol. Now I'm in a new state, with a new kidney from my bro & very little cash flo. The cool thing is I've got a bike now which I've always wanted to have but never had the time; now I've got nothin but time & I love workin on it and riding it.

IP Logged
07s40scotty

If it doesn't kill
you- it makes you
stronger

TN
Reply #24 - 10/30/12 at 21:38:47

Thats cool. I didnt mean to offend anyone- you in particular. I just have a keen sense of observation is all. I don't think that the acts of 1 idiot should have a bearing on the rest of us is all.  Smiley

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #25 - 10/30/12 at 22:06:48

Oh,.. why can't we all just get along?... Grin...

On a lighter side... my favourite joke...

A jumper cable walks in to a bar...
... and the bartender says....
"Okay,.. I'll serve you,... but don't start anything"...

Grin Grin Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #26 - 10/30/12 at 22:18:13

And that's why you are de rowboat and we all loves ya ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #27 - 10/30/12 at 22:31:38

rquarantello4232 wrote on 10/30/12 at 20:48:23:
being bold is perfectly fine, ill take and accept any criticism.   The reason i bought the manual is because it took almost a full week to get authorized to post on this site. So by the 6th day, i figured there was some application error and I was just going to have to tackle everything by reading a manual. So i bought it and bright and early the next morning, my user name and pass are authorized to use the site. Thats the only reason. But yes, my first project is the back tire becuase the leak isnt terrible it just colors my chrome. The rear tire looks like it has 85% life left so im going to go ahead and try to change it out.  I have the money to have someone do it for me if it becomes to much of a hassle but my career took a 180 so id like to have something else to take pride in so by trying it first, its just to me the best way to learn. I can pay whatever to have someone else do it if i cant finish it.

Stick with the tire then.  

Do you own a set of tire irons?   If not price a set of three 14"-16" tire irons on EBAY or Harbor Freight and compare that to the cost of having a motorcycle shop swap out your tube for you (you can save a lot of money on this service by taking them the bare wheel).  

Sometimes you can find tire changing deals at shops that advertise motorcycle tires in the yellow pages (they have the equipment to do the job quickly).  Call around, don't just go to a place wheel in hand -- they will screw you to the wall.

Tire changing (rear) Savage specific, list type      
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1350180294

Tire changing (general) video based
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1245884202/0#0

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #28 - 10/30/12 at 22:33:19

Ohh, yea, ride a bike in & ask them to change it, its gonna cost ya,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rquarantello4232

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 10/31/12 at 08:22:33

Just called a place down the street from where my house is, and they said if I bring in the same tire and new tube, they would change it out, put it back on the rim, and balance for $30 plus tax. Idk if that is what some of you meant by charging out the azz but i think thats extremely reasonable. Over $60 I dont think I would do it, but I believe I can take off the back tire with rim, and bring it to them with the same amount of money for 3 tire irons and the other few things I would need.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 14:32:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rquarantello's  rear tire and head leak

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.