Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
warning for new Savage owners! (Read 526 times)
MeLikeBike

Newbie, but Goodie

Monroeville, PA
warning for new Savage owners!
10/27/12 at 19:51:18

Just a warning to new Savage owners.

I'm a n00b, so take it from a n00b.  Read this to understand why:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429/1]

Then just go buy yourself a Raptor petcock....My engine started sputtering going up a steep stretch of US 30 at about 50mph...then the engine cut out.  LUCKILY I was in the right lane and had plenty of time and room to coast into a lot and check the fuel...HALF TANK.  I started her up again (after choking, switching to Reserve, etc) the drove to the gas station, filled the tank and drove home.  

The sputtering has happened to me before a few times...sometimes I was actually out of gas, and other times, plenty of fuel.  I've done the petcock test and passed, but I'm not going to ignore the experts anymore.

2003 Savage LS650, Dyna, 2/3 Spacer
  IP Logged
Badass94Cad

This space for rent

Mass-->Jerz-->PA!
Re: warning for new Savage owners!
Reply #1 - 10/29/12 at 08:55:13

Monroeville in Monroe County? I'm in Bucks.  Cool

1995 Suzuki Savage - It's a rat, but it's MY rat!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 10/29/12 at 09:37:14

And now, as a reluctant convert, you get to give your initial impressions of your bike's performance
after you Raptor it, that is.

Any felt differences?

(might well be as there are six known vac petcock failure symptoms and it is not unusual for you to have been putting up with 2-3 of them when one of them finally gets bad enough to gain your attention)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
TobyJug
YaBB Newbies

Kamloops, BC, Canada
Reply #3 - 10/29/12 at 17:08:26

I just changed mine a couple of weeks ago and I'm sure she runs better.  A bit more responsive, maybe.

Jug

IP Logged
MiCTLaN

O_o

Winter Haven, FL
Reply #4 - 10/30/12 at 14:59:58

After having to turn the lever to prime (yet again) about two miles after filling up the bike, I finally ordered a Raptor today.  Now I'll just have to get re-accustomed to turning the lever off when I get off the bike.

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #5 - 10/30/12 at 15:13:53

MiCTLaN wrote on 10/30/12 at 14:59:58:
After having to turn the lever to prime (yet again) about two miles after filling up the bike, I finally ordered a Raptor today.  Now I'll just have to get re-accustomed to turning the lever off when I get off the bike.

It's not an absolute necessity...I put the Raptor on mine at the beginning of the season and I think I have only turned it off maybe 2 times all summer. (Apparently I haven't had any issues with a stuck float, I better go knock on wood now)

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Doug B

I am, therefore I
think

Kennewick, WA
Reply #6 - 10/30/12 at 15:30:25

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 10/29/12 at 09:37:14:

And now, as a reluctant convert, you get to give your initial impressions of your bike's performance
after you Raptor it, that is.

Any felt differences?

Oldfeller - apart from the safety/reliability issues   what are your thoughts/experiences in switching to the Raptor   I'm curious as to what performance gains could result in going to a gravity fed petcock ?   doesn't the vacuum operated type only give us an automatic shutoff ?  

IP Logged
MeLikeBike

Newbie, but Goodie

Monroeville, PA
Reply #7 - 10/30/12 at 17:52:24

Sorry BadCad, Monroeville as in Allegheny County...15mi east of Pittsburgh.

Oldfeller, I'll definitely put in a report...still waiting for the package to arrive, and Sandy to leave.  Luckily Pittsburgh was only hit with a steady rain.

Just a note about the "reluctant" conversion...the first time it happened, I was on my, like, first or second motorcycle ride not on my street.  I checked the tank, and it seemed low, and the switch to Reserve seemed to fix it....so I was out of gas, or so I thought.  I did the vacuum test in the post, and I passed, so I thought I was okay.

But OT's (I think it was OT) note about repeating the test rings true...this sort of problem sounds intermittent and sinister, and you never know.  If you can't repeat it, you can't debug it.

Good to know that leaving the manual petcock ON won't blow up your bike, because they scare you a little bit in MSF class.  And I left it on at least 3 times during the class.  Of course, I turned the key the wrong way and burned the battery out in "park".  Does Yamaha make a replacement ignition? Smiley

« Last Edit: 10/31/12 at 04:40:44 by MeLikeBike »  

2003 Savage LS650, Dyna, 2/3 Spacer
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 10/30/12 at 18:04:20

There is no power gain or loss from any petcock,... unless the original petcock was malfunctioning....
Naturally,.. a malfunctioning petcock will either starve or flood,... in the vacuum petcock's case... this can be furious or subtle...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 10/30/12 at 18:09:38

I dont know how it is, but my savage petcock has never gave me an issue ...

And ironically my MZ660 has a yamaha petcock very similar to the raptor ...

While it isn't the source ... it does seem to be some weird sort of carrier.

6 savages not 1 was maintained too well ... 1 had an exhaust valve broken, one had been rammed into something breaking the forks ... one had a caked up tarred up carb set and air box and drain hose ... and a broken starter idler, another had the idler busted and gummed up carbs ... 1 just had a bad battery ... my first one, back in 96 ... when they just made it again, I found a cheapo 87 and ran it for a few years. Not 1 had a petcock issue.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #10 - 10/31/12 at 00:35:54

Petcocks are one of those out-sourced off-the-shelf items. That's why you'll find one from a completely different manufacturer's bike that is a direct bolt-on. A petcock is more like a piece of hardware than an actual part. A lot of the electrical components seem to be like that as well. I guess there's not much need to re-engineer certain items, it's more cost effective to make your product fit the part.

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #11 - 10/31/12 at 00:41:03

Serowbot wrote on 10/30/12 at 18:04:20:
Naturally,.. a malfunctioning petcock will either starve or flood,...

A petcock can't "flood" because its only option is to flood. The float needle valve is what controls the amount of fuel entering the bowl. The only way a carb can flood is if the float needle valve sticks - and this is no fault of the petcock.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 10/31/12 at 02:31:03

Cavi Mike wrote on 10/31/12 at 00:41:03:

A petcock can't "flood" because its only option is to flood. The float needle valve is what controls the amount of fuel entering the bowl. The only way a carb can flood is if the float needle valve sticks - and this is no fault of the petcock.

Cavi,... a vacuum petcock, with a tear ot leak in the diaphragm can and will leak fuel down the vacuum line... causing flooding... the float does not stop fuel going down the vac line...  
This is what makes them particularly dangerous....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 10/31/12 at 05:37:54

Cavi, not so fast....several vacuum petcocks have filled the engine with gas due to the fuel going through the vacuum tube.....im one of them my vulcan had 3 gallons of fuel in the engine..never dreamed it could hold that much. Lots of strange things can happen. Shocked

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 10/31/12 at 07:25:36

Cavi Mike wrote on 10/31/12 at 00:41:03:

Unless of course the malfunction is a failed diaphragm seeping gas directly into the intake and bypassing the carb altogether.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 12:31:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › warning for new Savage owners!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.