Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
warning for new Savage owners! (Read 526 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: warning for new Savage owners!
Reply #15 - 10/31/12 at 08:15:53

Doug B wrote on 10/30/12 at 15:30:25:
Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 10/29/12 at 09:37:14:

And now, as a reluctant convert, you get to give your initial impressions of your bike's performance
after you Raptor it, that is.

Any felt differences?

Oldfeller - apart from the safety/reliability issues   what are your thoughts/experiences in switching to the Raptor   I'm curious as to what performance gains could result in going to a gravity fed petcock ?   doesn't the vacuum operated type only give us an automatic shutoff ?  

I have to echo Serowbot, the performance increases you see are a result of getting a consistent full flow of gasoline.  Nothing more.

When a vacsucker begins to fail you have lots of times you don't get the optimum amount of gas delivered to your carburetor -- not enough lack to cause you to sputter and die stone dead, but to just run poorly,

Your carb is regulated with the gas level just about at the top of the bowl -- that is its designed gas pool level.   When you start running that level constantly up and down the depth of the bowl, your bike runs like crap some of the time.

When it is below mid point, you are running LEANER and LEANER as it goes to zero.

Problem is, this likes to happen when you are on interstates and major roads and you are trying to go fast.

I used to tease Verslagen with this scenario -- going 80-85 on the 6 lane and the vacsucker begins to malfunction, bowl level drops and you start to lean out and you lose power going up a hill.  What does your hand do?  NEED MORE GO POWER, so you roll the throttle on and increase the demand for gas on an already partially empty bowl.  Now you are running really really lean at full throttle, overheating your piston and your ring grooves do a little bit of close up due to mild piston wall scrubbing.   Vola !!  Your bike begins to consume oil ....

(this was back in the days of the petcock wars, which we no longer have to do since we have seen this same thing happen on tear downs just this past month)

Vacsuckers can affect your bikes performance by starvation and by alternate gas paths.   Failing diaphragms can pass a trickle of gas down the vac tube to the carburetor body, where it becomes vaporized making your rich at low speeds.  This error shows mostly at low speeds as the amount of gas leakage is small and has most effect at lower speeds.  Now you are yo-yo'ing between rich and lean.

So, there are five major known vac petcock failure modes that folks have stumbled over.  Each of them can make your bike run poorly to some degree.   A Raptor makes all five of them stop, instantly.  

Most Raptor folks say the Raptor makes their bike peppier and run better.  

I wonder why ....        Wink

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #16 - 10/31/12 at 10:20:24

Serowbot wrote on 10/31/12 at 02:31:03:
Cavi,... a vacuum petcock, with a tear ot leak in the diaphragm can and will leak fuel down the vacuum line... causing flooding... the float does not stop fuel going down the vac line...  
This is what makes them particularly dangerous....

I stand corrected.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #17 - 10/31/12 at 10:35:15

Cavi,.. now,... you get to explain it... to the next noob...  Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 10/31/12 at 17:10:39

EJID wrote on 10/30/12 at 15:13:53:
MiCTLaN wrote on 10/30/12 at 14:59:58:
After having to turn the lever to prime (yet again) about two miles after filling up the bike, I finally ordered a Raptor today.  Now I'll just have to get re-accustomed to turning the lever off when I get off the bike.

It's not an absolute necessity...I put the Raptor on mine at the beginning of the season and I think I have only turned it off maybe 2 times all summer. (Apparently I haven't had any issues with a stuck float, I better go knock on wood now)

Yep, I have forgotten to turn my Raptor off a time or two without a problem.  I have now developed a routine of reaching down and turning it off as soon as I turn into my driveway......and I no longer forget....at least not when I am going home!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MeLikeBike

Newbie, but Goodie

Monroeville, PA
Reply #19 - 11/11/12 at 18:02:03

I guess the peacock wars continue on another thread, but since someone asked, here's how it went for me when I tried the new raptor...

Rode around feeling fine, seemed a little more aggressive (though I think I'm just getting more confident).  Then I'm taking it up a hill..then the familiar stumble...then nothing.  Zap, dead engine.  what again?  This was supposed to fix this nonsense!!!

Then I realize that I never refilled the tank after draining it, except for the pittance of fuel that was supposed to get me to to the gas station.   Embarrassed   Switched it to Reserve, started her up, and headed to get gas.  Seems to run great.

Duh.

2003 Savage LS650, Dyna, 2/3 Spacer
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #20 - 11/11/12 at 19:09:27

One of the first things a new rider/mechanic has to learn is first aid for gunshot wounds to the foot.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MeLikeBike

Newbie, but Goodie

Monroeville, PA
Reply #21 - 11/12/12 at 04:52:00

So *that's* what the kevlar in riding gear is for!

Wink

2003 Savage LS650, Dyna, 2/3 Spacer
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 12:24:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › warning for new Savage owners!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.