Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
fraying clutch cable (Read 86 times)
JBK

MS
fraying clutch cable
10/26/12 at 21:12:39

yea I got one. the bike has broomstick bars so there is a good bit of slack. is there anyway to cut back the cable and reattach the pin that holds it in the clutch handle? or am I better off getting a stock replacement?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: fraying clutch cable
Reply #1 - 10/26/12 at 21:24:01

I got a couple screw in barrel ends for emergencies.
But you're better off with a professional made cable.

like this but with a set screw

WWW   IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #2 - 10/26/12 at 21:46:57

If you know how to solder - and I mean know how to solder - you can make one of those emergency replacements permanent. The ends of factory cables are just lead, nothing more nothing less. Use at least a 60watt soldering iron or use a solder gun. Anything smaller and you can't get enough heat into the cable.

*edit* When I say know how to solder I mean you must know how solder flows. Absolute must. If you understand that solder isn't glue and there are certain things that you need to pay attention to - you're golden. Making custom cables is real easy if you know that.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 10/27/12 at 00:10:47

One of my favorite soldering tools is a $10.00 butane torch from Lowes. Its a soldering iron, with a tip, but I dont like the way that works, I take it off & just use the flame tip. A good paste flux, some 60/40 solder with a rosin core, time spent cleaning the cable end up, Id use some Berrymans spray on it & youll need a couple of small needlenose to set the cable spirals back right, some good diagonals to clip it off cleanly. If you have no experience soldering, no biggee,, you can read about it & practice first. I wouldnt do this until I had some experience & you can have that experience in just a few hours. Buy some light cable at the hardware store, some brass tubing with an ID to fit the cable OD, ( match them up before ya buy anything,) Close is good enough..
A vise that clamps on the edge of the workbnch that rotates is real handy. Ive had this one for about 4 years,,its holding up well.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
newriverjunkie

Courage is endurance
for one moment more…

Goose Creek, SC
Reply #4 - 10/29/12 at 18:22:36

Had this happen to me on my '02 in the middle of a poker run.  Ended up getting it to a dealer and they pulled a cable off a '12 s40 and it fit for the most part, was a tad shorter.  Then put some 8" mini-apes on it two weeks later and had to replace the cable and lever anyways...so I have a new one sitting around.  Let me know if you need one.

I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you f*%# with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders
  IP Logged
JBK

MS
Reply #5 - 10/30/12 at 22:28:39

pm sent newriverjunkie

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 10/30/12 at 22:32:09

Now you have the perfect ottorpunity to play with soldering. YOu win, you win, you lose, you still ride.,.,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:19:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › fraying clutch cable

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.