Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Help!!! Carb problems I think? (Read 367 times)
cafejim
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Help!!! Carb problems I think?
10/26/12 at 19:43:21

A few weeks ago I started to go on a ride without checking the fuel level. I got a little down the road and the bike killed on me. Started up again and died at a stop sign, sounded like it was starving for fuel so I shook the bike, didnt hear and sloshing around popped the cap off and its bone dry. Well, put some more gas in it from a gas can I had, It started up but then dies after about a 45 sec idle. I then took the carb apart and cleaned it, it was filthy, also put an inline fuel filter on it. Started right up again let it idle and it was fine. took it around the block and it rode kind of sluggish pulled into the driveway let it idle then it died. Now im back to my original problem... It almost sounds like to me that its getting to much fuel and flooding.... Any input on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

By the way, when I had the carb apart cleaning it the float looked good as well as the diaphram, every part seems to move freely not getting stuck...

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Re: Help!!! Carb problems I think?
Reply #1 - 10/26/12 at 19:57:55

This forum really needs a "READ THIS FIRST" link at the top.

Sounds like a petcock problem. Search "raptor" and you'll get the answers you are looking for.

IP Logged
07s40scotty

If it doesn't kill
you- it makes you
stronger

TN
Reply #2 - 10/26/12 at 22:46:25

Maybe your petcock- check out the tech section theres a test there you can try.... lots of folks here have problems with the stock petcock & switch to one made for the Raptor. My bike is an 07 with 16,000 miles on it as of yesterday & I've never had any problems with my petcock though.

IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #3 - 10/27/12 at 00:24:03

I also think that the problem is in the petcock.It is not the best. check out his work.
I put on his motorcycle repair kit ...but not much has changed for the better. a better option might really be RAPTOR

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #4 - 10/27/12 at 05:04:29

Quote:
I then took the carb apart and cleaned it, it was filthy,
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Describe "filthy"
Just curious

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #5 - 10/27/12 at 06:40:14

If the carburetor was "filthy" where did the filth come from? The tank?The added in-line fuel filter may have already clogged.

I tried an in-line filter on a Honda CH80 Elite. I bought the paper-pleated filter from a local motorcycle shop, added it in the fuel line, and all appeared well. Until the fuel got down to half-tank, at which time the scooter died. When I filled the tank all was well. I got home, removed the filter and have had no more problems. As soon as I removed the (visually clean) filter I tried blowing through it and noticed restriction. When it dried out the restriction was considerably lessened. Could be your new filter is the problem.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 10/27/12 at 07:39:02

Isn't it amazing that Mr. Orange and Wernwilk and now CafeJim all have about the same starting symptoms and they always respond that they have already done everything you suggest (or immediately respond that they have done that, but later on you find that they really did something else that was "just as good" but not what they were supposed to do).

Then after six pages of laboriously dragging them through the steps of trouble shooting, they disappear and a few days later a new name pops up with about the same exact symptoms ....

Which do you think best applies?   (you can vote for multiple items)

There sure are a lot of Really Really screwed up Savages out there
Some folks like to talk about their problems more than turning the wrenches to fix them
Some sympathy is nice
Some attention is nice
Vac petcocks sure do suck, so do carbs and charcoal cannisters
People sure are nice around here, let's come back for seconds and thirds
Mebbe we can explain it better this time, or else mebbe they can
Hey, lets start up 2-3 threads on the same bike/issue and make it REALLY REALLY confusing for everybody.
Hey, let's pour all the nasty rusty watery gas out of your gas tank and change out your fuel filter with a brand new unclogged one after flushing everything out good with fresh gasoline, except this time do it the very first thing instead of the very last thing after 6 pages of chattering on about it.
Hey, you could invent some new symptoms for a brand new problem .....

Be aware our list is haunted by the ghost of a carb problem troll who cannot ever rest until his rusted hulk of a Savage can go 90 mph (which mine can't even do on a good day)

Realize it is Halloween, and "trick or treat" can happen even to the best of us .....

Wink

« Last Edit: 10/27/12 at 21:59:01 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 10/27/12 at 07:54:13

cafejim wrote on 10/26/12 at 19:43:21:
A few weeks ago I started to go on a ride without checking the fuel level. I got a little down the road and the bike killed on me. Started up again and died at a stop sign, sounded like it was starving for fuel so I shook the bike, didnt hear and sloshing around popped the cap off and its bone dry. Well, put some more gas in it from a gas can I had, It started up but then dies after about a 45 sec idle. I then took the carb apart and cleaned it, it was filthy, also put an inline fuel filter on it. Started right up again let it idle and it was fine. took it around the block and it rode kind of sluggish pulled into the driveway let it idle then it died. Now im back to my original problem... It almost sounds like to me that its getting to much fuel and flooding.... Any input on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

By the way, when I had the carb apart cleaning it the float looked good as well as the diaphram, every part seems to move freely not getting stuck...

Cheesy      Colonel MickMustard in the living room with the gas can half full of watery rusty half-evaporated old nasty gasoline .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Doug B

I am, therefore I
think

Kennewick, WA
Reply #8 - 10/27/12 at 11:44:36

Oldfeller - I don't know how many members/visitors of this site share in your brand of humor - but I do !    keep em coming    maybe the names were changed to protect the innocent(or at least the chuckleheads)    don't like charcoal filters ? (what about Miller Genuine Draft ?)   Colonel Mustard ?   I thought it was Mr. Green(or was it Mr. Orange ?)    Grin

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 10/27/12 at 12:37:59

Old previous generation moderator inside joke, it is Colonel MickMustard which is the current code name for my favorite wee little Christmas Halloween troll ....

He's my favorite pet troll for any season, actually ....  you can get his action figure inside a Halloween Happy Meal at MickDonalds.

Now, let's see how many ways I can be wrong this time --- lots of ways I suspect, so we shall see which room the corpse moves to and which weapon winds up having done the dirty deed on his poor little corpus.

Smiley

This time let's ask for EXACT specifics like the model number of the carb that is cast on the main throttle body, the cast in place part number on the petcock and best of all, the die impressed vendor part number for the plastic float that doesn't exist anywhere.   And the little part number that is embossed next to the arrow on the pointer lever on the factory vac petcock .....

Might as well let lil' Mick have some fun too, while we are having ours ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #10 - 10/27/12 at 13:27:59

Out of idle curiosity, and perhaps too much idleness, I just did a little measuring and calculating. From the carburetor inlet to the bottom of the tank is about four inches. From the carburetor inlet to the top of the tank is about twelve inches. This means the pressure (gravity induced) driving the gasoline into the carburetor varies from four to twelve inches of gasoline, or after some conversions from about 0.1 psi to about 0.3 psi. This low pressure is all there is to force the gasoline through the fuel line and any additional restriction caused by an added in-line fuel filter.

Just thought you'd like to know.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 10/27/12 at 13:39:54

Yup, that's why I am not a fan of itty bitty in-line filters.   Should a small lawnmower type paper filter get WATER soaked it might not pass gasoline much at all, while the BIG CLEAR AUTOMOTIVE PLEATED PAPER FILTERS I like will separate water from gasoline, pass the gasoline and hold the water back so you can see it through the clear plastic sides.

Why?  Osmotic pressure -- what controls the filter paper is what wets it first (make sure it is gasoline and not water).

Gas first, water can't get through.   Water first however might mean the gas has a hard time getting through (until the alcohol content in the gasohol absorbed all the water inside the paper fibers, anyway)

Badly water mixed gasoline might give you a come and go flow problem with a little bitty filter to some extent, but much less so if it was a BIG CLEAR AUTOMOTIVE PLEATED PAPER FILTER.    This is on top of the ignition and run problems you would be having with that badly mixed stuff.   With the Big Filter, you can fill it up 1/4 with water and it will still pass enough gas through the unaffected top half of the filter to keep your Savage running correctly.

« Last Edit: 10/29/12 at 00:02:31 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #12 - 10/27/12 at 14:33:38

I wonder whether you might have gotten just a little lucky with that filter. All automotive filters are designed for use with fuel pumped systems, not gravity systems. Even the feeblest of fuel pumps will exceed the very low pressures of a gravity system, whether on the suction side or the pressure side.

The fuel filter I tried on my CH80 is clear, pleated paper, just over an inch long and about 1.5 inches diameter not counting the fittings. At a guess that makes it shorter but slightly larger in diameter than yours. The CH80 has a greater pressure head, since its carburetor is mounted quite low. I deliberately bought the filter from a motorcycle shop, hoping it would work OK. It did, too, until the tank got low. I admit to using E-10, but I also have looked in the fuel tank and at least visually it is spotlessly clean. The CH80 does not have a reserve, so it always draws fuel from the bottom of the tank, which leads me to doubt water as a problem. I was able to get to a gas station, filled the tank, and fuel flowed again. Since the fuel filter was the last thing I had added, I removed it, and the scooter then ran out its next tank as usual.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #13 - 10/27/12 at 15:28:30

Yup, dumb lucky -- that's me.   Grab the first filter that will fit in the hole (barely) and then grab some cheap-assed thick rubber hose sitting right next to it.

Whole shooting match costs less than $5 and took one stop at an AutoZone.

Spend the next 4 years explaining why it works so well, but never fessed up it wasn't all pre-planned.

Reason #2 sheer huge size -- filter never plugs up with crap although mine has been on there a long long time and has seen some funky gasoline on occasion.

Check out the plastic on mine, all semi-opaque with sunshine and age and all scratched up vs the nice clean clear plastic on a new one.

Old (mine)

New

Now the real Orange/WernWilk magic would have been he could have seen the rust bits in his gas and watched the globules of pure water collecting in the bottom half of the clear filter and he could have SEEN the no-gas condition from the vac petcock starving his butt for gas.

Makes trouble shooting by the roadside a lot easier and simpler when you can instantly SEE what is going on.

And when you finally find the real PRIME position on the stock vacsucker you can watch the gas run into and through the filter and when it fills up the float bowl and backs up in into the filter you can see that it is safe to try re-cranking the bike again.  

Magical dumb lucky, right?     And just think of the 3-4 times poor ol' Orange had to tear his carb plumb apart because of rust bits that I can never ever have in my carburetor because of that HUGE fine pleated paper filter element that stops all that rusty crap without the filter paper plugging up, ever  .....

And Orange sitting there with his finger up his plastic filled float bowl because he wouldn't listen.

We should have some fun with these repeat customers, you know -- after 2-3 tries like this they deserve some fun'in.

« Last Edit: 10/29/12 at 00:11:35 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
07s40scotty

If it doesn't kill
you- it makes you
stronger

TN
Reply #14 - 10/27/12 at 20:39:59

darn lol. I'm tryin to help someone who's looking for help for a problem that doesn't exist? I thought the plastic float sounded a bit like a fake- but I didn't have the balz to say it on that post  Shocked

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 06:30:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help!!! Carb problems I think?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.