170 Rear Wheel (Read 92 times)
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
170 Rear Wheel
10/26/12 at 00:17:54

I had 'Wheel & Spoke Services' fit a custom 16/4.25 36 spoke Morad rim to my stock hub to replace the stock 15 2.75 rim, and a set of 8/9 Butted stainless steel spokes. By removing the rear foot peg mounts i was able to fit a 170 tyre using the stock spacers. I did however moved the front sprocket spacer from the outside to the inside and used longer bolts on the rear sprocket and spaced out the rear sprocket. I have been advised by professional racers who has done this is you can off set a rim by 4mm before noticing any difference in performance. And this is on racing bikes.
I then did some research and asked a number of bike shops and all agreed  that there would be no change in performance. So the rim is off set 4mm toward the chain and that's it folks a 170 fits clean and true but off set 4mm on the hub with no change in performance and safety. I wanted it offset more but the company who did the job would only go to 4mm for safety reasons. I didn't think a 170 would fit, I first ordered a 160 but could see plenty of room for a 170.So the hub is in the same place but the rim 4mm to the left. The only thing that did not fit is the chain guard. And the chain guard mounts needed modifying. The 4mm off set cannot be seen with the naked eye, I understand that the stock tyre sits to one side so maybe the 170 insinuates that more, But I promise you the tyre and rim is only 4mm to the left.  It did cost just over $1000.00 including tyre but worth every penny. I DID NOT DO THIS WORK MYSELF,All work was done by professionals in there field and done to a safe standard. I suggest that anyone wanting to do this mod do the same.
« Last Edit: 10/26/12 at 15:26:02 by paulmarshall »  

110.jpg
  IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Re: 170 Rear Wheel
Reply #1 - 10/26/12 at 00:40:43

Hub sitting centre and true

111.jpg
  IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #2 - 10/26/12 at 16:33:10

I will post more photos next week when my bike comes back from the shop, where the rear guard is getting mounted. Like I said earlier all work is being done by professionals to maintain a safe and road legal machine. I too never dreamed a tyre wider than a 150 could ever be fitted to a Savage, But someone helped me to think out of the box and suggested safe viable options that not only work in theory but in practice. I did not jump into this venture blindly, As I said earlier I asked questions to experts who had already done this to full on racing bikes that rely on safety and performance. My personal opinion is the the stock rear tyre on these bikes has always been the weak link, cosmetically and in performance. I too personally believe that the 170 gives the Savage the muscle look it well deserves.

IP Logged
SuperSavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 10/26/12 at 23:31:05

Nice job, keep us informed with how well it works. Looks great.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 10/27/12 at 03:37:07

Very nice dude !

IP Logged
Pages: 1