Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Considering a new bike, with this transmission (Read 190 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Considering a new bike, with this transmission
Reply #15 - 10/26/12 at 06:08:55

Uh huhh,, I know, & thats correct, it CAN be damaged by it,,some things require a certain amount of skill, I have the required skill.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
07s40scotty

If it doesn't kill
you- it makes you
stronger

TN
Reply #16 - 10/26/12 at 17:16:44

Yeah I too shift w/o the clutch ( mostly when I'm trying to smoke my 3 brothers on there Vulcan 900's) I dont think it harms anything, especially if you know what ur doing & are shifting at the right rpm

IP Logged
SuperSavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 10/26/12 at 23:39:37

If you're tired of shifting, get yourself one of those new BMW 650 scooters. They are pretty sweet. As long as you're on two wheels , you're flying. Maybe a  used  Burgman...

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #18 - 10/27/12 at 06:57:20

I have had a Honda 125 Aero and a Honda 250 Helix. I now have a Yamaha 400 Majesty and a Honda Elite 80. All have automatic transmissions. Twist-and-go sure is nice. I have not had the chance to try out one of the 650 Burgman Executives with the six-speed emulating CVT, but my wife's Outback has a CVT with a manual six-speed emulator arrangement. After playing with it for a few minutes, I put it back in automatic and let it do its job. The only time I can see it being of any real value might be on a long down-hill grade.

I will point out that there is a considerable difference in the operation of a centrifugally controlled CVT and an electronically controlled CVT.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #19 - 10/27/12 at 07:21:18

I had a Burgman 650 for a while and loved how it would take off from a stop. Definitely a big difference between a centrifugal CVT and an electronic controlled CVT such as the Burgman 650 has. Only reason I got rid of my Burgman was to get something bigger that I can trike. The Burgman 650 will run circles around any 650 cruiser and will beat a lot of bigger cruisers off the line too.  Grin

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #20 - 10/27/12 at 08:50:21

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 10/25/12 at 20:02:15:
Technology as "enabling" lazy old men to ride even longer .....

Cheesy

At least one NASCAR driver has credited power steering for lengthening his driving career by many years.

I don't really keep current on the rules for racing classes, but I seem to remember reading that Formula 1 forbids automatic transmissions, as does drag racing in the top classes. The reason is that the transmissions don't miss shifts, and always shift at the right time, which takes "driver skill" out of the operation.

I think Formula 1 allows steering-wheel-mounted paddle shifters, which do all the work except for making the decisions about when to shift. Wouldn't take much to let the computer operate the switches.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 10:39:13

General CategoryThe Cafe › Considering a new bike, with this transmission

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.