rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Re: Fellow Gun Guy & Girls
Reply #15 - 10/25/12 at 17:20:28

ummm  I shot a few people and I'm trying to get rid of the evidence  Roll Eyes

All kidding aside I just got screwed over on a legal matter and had to take a plea bargain that put me on probation for 5 years, and while it doesn't affect my gun rights, my probation conditions say I can't have firearms in the house while I'm on probation  Angry

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 10/25/12 at 19:44:00

Probably would've been a less strict sentence had you shot someone.

Sorry to hear. It's a shame you're not closer or I'd offer.

--Steve

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 10/25/12 at 21:38:21

Can ya rent a storage unit? Ive seen some as cheap as $25.00.. & then Youd KNOW where they are & youd know no one else was gonna lose them in some oddball legal event..&, you could store other stuff there,, coff, coff,, mite hafta go add things once in a while,, coff,, coff.,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #18 - 10/26/12 at 02:03:05

Disassemble them and give em a REAL GOOD cleaning. Especially internally and the bore. Make sure and get any rust you have and ALL the fingerprints and body oil of the outside.
Then liberally oil it down with a good quality gun oil or better yet a good silicone lube for guns. The silicone will actually eat small amounts of rust you miss.
After the bore is SPOTLESS oil it down good. A nice lil plug of gauze or cotton saturated in oil stuffed in the muzzle is a good idea as well. Keeps dust out of the bore which WILL draw moisture and cause rust.
Or store em muzzle down.
A light coat of oil on all the wood as well. Any leather should be rubbed down with a good saddle soap.
Toss a couple of BIG bags of desiccant in the bottom of the safe as well.
These will need to be changed every year or so.

Take closeup pics of all the guns(both sides) and write down all the serial numbers. On paper and on the photos. Buy trigger locks for all of em as well.
Controls pilfering/playing with them.
List all serial numbers on any contract as well.

I don't care HOW GOOD a friend he his. Pics and serial numbers WITH a detailed contract. Make him responsible for the physical well being AS WELL as their financial worth in the contract!

Dont wrap em unless you oil the wrap. Womens nylon panty hose works or unwaxed cheesecloth.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #19 - 10/26/12 at 03:08:58

New bag of floor dry,,
I busted a bag of desiccant, It was floor dry.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
clearush

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deer Park,TX
Reply #20 - 10/26/12 at 06:04:20

I use that yellow anticorrision plastic wrap that they make for fire arms. and those silicon impregnated rifle sleeves. and then hang large damp rid bags in the safe. its worked 10+ years for me.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #21 - 10/26/12 at 12:37:38

If any are nickel plated just clean and oil as usual, I have a S&W 3rd Model .44HE (a holy grail among  collectors) that sat unfired in a wall base gun cupboard from 1958 to a couple months ago. Gave it a good wipe down and it is good as new. Lisa's nickel jam-o-matic is the same way.

Shotguns, clean and oil as usual, plug the muzzle with a fired shell, wrap in silicone gun sock. Rifles you don't need to plug the muzzle, everything else is the same.

I highly recommend you talk to the Texans, Arizonans, and New Mexicans at www.smithandwessonforums.com and see what they say. Tell them Scruffy49 sent you. Join, it's free, ask in the armory sub-forum. I expect to see you there this evening.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #22 - 10/26/12 at 14:08:17

My dad had a WWII American .45. He would fire it every couple of years or so. He kept it in a can full of ATF. He would fish it out, disassemble and clean it, fire it in our basement range, clean it and drop it back in the can.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #23 - 10/28/12 at 02:34:29

Jog while that is a good idea, in the long run it would end up costing me more then what the guns are worth. Not to mention it's hard to justify the additional expense of an off site storage facility as I've already got 2 storage buildings on my property and a 20x20 workshop that I'm hoping to have complete or at least dried in this next spring/summer.

I went and talked to one of the local gunsmiths yesterday and he's gonna do a detail cleaning on them then vacuum pack them in some poly VCI anti corrosion bags for me to store them in.  He said it's the same type of bags the military uses for long term storage and they are good for a min. of 10 to 15 years if not longer.

Price wise it's not to bad only gonna cost me $35 per gun.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #24 - 10/28/12 at 04:31:24

Yea, 5 years, atsa lotta storage unit $$$,, LOusy deal, Sounds like your gunsmith guy is treating you right.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #25 - 10/28/12 at 08:40:25

I work on commercial aircraft and we use corrosion inhibiting compound on things that need to be serviced, or protected from the environmental aspects of where it flies. I guess you can imagine a plane in freezing weather, and hours later, in hot tropical climes.....so I guess it must be pretty good. The stuff I use sorta smells, but it cleans up pretty easily. You might google aircraft supplies, etc, and see what a tube cost?????

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #26 - 10/28/12 at 09:23:17

Be a lot easier if you offered up a name for the product,,

Is it for aluminum or steel or both?

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #27 - 10/28/12 at 14:36:56

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/28/12 at 09:23:17:
Be a lot easier if you offered up a name for the product,,

Is it for aluminum or steel or both?

Is this directed to me?  I'll assume it is  Cheesy

Well, I'm not certain if it has another name, but we call it 3-38, or CIC. I think Dow makes it, not really sure. I use it on pert near everything, from composite, aluminum, titanium, etc. I haven't used it on wood, it might stain, I don't know. But a good clean is paramount before applying, even hand jive can lessen its abilities to adhere in a manner that gives it 100% effectiveness...  

Do I get my pudding now?  Kiss

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #28 - 10/28/12 at 14:46:22

Heck Yea,, you can have YOUR puddin,, but dont edge too close to mine!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #29 - 10/28/12 at 14:51:59

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3