Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Oil level extremely low. (Read 96 times)
stewie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oil level extremely low.
10/22/12 at 10:50:14

I recently bought a used '97 Savage LS650.  After riding around for a few hours, the bike started backfiring after I turned the engine off.  I did some investigation and found that the choke was left half way out by the previous owner.  The bike is starting and running fine now, however, I noticed the the oil level is not visible in the oil inspection window.  It looks as if the bike is running dry.

I called the previous owner to ask him when he last replaced the oil in the bike and he claims he did it 3 months ago when he bought it and that he couldn't see the oil level in the inspection window when he did.  I plan to replace the oil/filter tomorrow but I'm wondering if I should be concerned that the bike seems to be burning oil quickly.  Is the inspection window always accurate?

IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Re: Oil level extremely low.
Reply #1 - 10/22/12 at 10:56:12

The bike needs to be level to read the oil level. Block up the kickstand and take a look. These bikes will consume oil, particularly at highway speeds. Unless you are blowing blue smoke or staining the pavement, just keep it topped up and enjoy.
For what it is worth                                                                  

Good info with pictures for the oil change in the the technical section.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1099572561

« Last Edit: 10/22/12 at 14:24:54 by Blinky-FSO »  

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 10/22/12 at 10:58:58

Bike needs to be upright, vertical, to check the oil level.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #3 - 10/22/12 at 11:15:34

Be safe, check the oil on the side stand, make sure you can see the oil level 1/4 way up the glass. Using the side stand method will not only carry more oil reserve, you also won't accidently get the bike on top of you like I did !

From what you say, you just think its using excessive oil, you don't actually know that.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 10/22/12 at 11:16:12

You can generally ride these bikes at speeds under 70mph, forever,.. and never use a drop of oil..
75+mph,.. will use oil...(check at each fill-up)...

At least,.. that's been my experience... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
J C Stokes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 10/22/12 at 13:03:24

Owners manual advises to start the engine and let run foe a few minutes. Stop engine and wait for three minutes. Then hold the bike vertical and check the window. Capacity without filter change 1.6 US quart. With filter change 1.8 us QUART.

IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #6 - 10/22/12 at 14:22:43

I do the side stand method mentioned earlier. I find that it shifts into 5th easier that way as well.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 02:11:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil level extremely low.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.