Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Clutch cam release (rocker arm) keeps breaking (Read 510 times)
trini tuner
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Miami, FL
Re: Clutch cam release (rocker arm) keeps breaking
Reply #15 - 10/22/12 at 17:11:22

You have the timeline correct, it does not vary as i am riding.
When it was easy to pull it was only run like that for less than a mile so im not sure if it would have went back hard on its own or if its an error on my part.

IP Logged
trini tuner
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Miami, FL
Reply #16 - 11/02/12 at 18:46:14

So i have the parts on order already, im getting the two larger push rods and hopefully that will solve the problem, im also getting a clutch cover gasket this time for when i remove it again and 3 clutch rocker arms. Wish me luck guys hopefully ill be riding again for a while next week or so.  Cool

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #17 - 11/02/12 at 19:43:04

trini tuner wrote on 11/02/12 at 18:46:14:
So i have the parts on order already, im getting the two larger push rods and hopefully that will solve the problem, im also getting a clutch cover gasket this time for when i remove it again and 3 clutch rocker arms. Wish me luck guys hopefully ill be riding again for a while next week or so.  Cool

Good luck....keep us posted!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #18 - 11/02/12 at 21:08:38

I have no hands-on experience with this specific part since I've never had my own cover off but looking at the diagram - it appears you can install the rocker arm four different ways and two of those ways is right and two of them are wrong. It looks like rotating it 180 degrees won't make a difference but if you flip it - it won't work properly.

Is/was that your problem?

IP Logged
trini tuner
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Miami, FL
Reply #19 - 11/03/12 at 23:44:06

The parts came in today! The bike's up and running alright, my brother was able to get out the pushrod that was stuck in the wrong place with a flathead and speaker magnet?, so no chop sticks for me  Grin
Turns out i was using the correct size pushrod like i thought, its the middle sized one by the way.
I installed everything together and adjusted the clutch lever again this time i installed the spring with the rocker arm differently so that when you have the clutch cover in your hand and you move the arm there's some resistance.
So i basically didnt do anything different except for how i installed the spring therefore im not totally convinced the problem is solved
The clutch does not slip anymore i switched to Rotella from what i read here and i guess it was the same stuff the previous guy was using however even after i fiddled with the clutch lever adjustment, some times it is hard to go into first gear it goes in but not as smoothly as it should it makes a noise and sometimes you even feel "it" i think ideally it should shift like "butter" into all gears like it does just sometimes, i would place my foot down from neutral and it just goes in so nicely with no effort really but it only goes in like butter sometimes and i know its not supposed to be making a noise when you shift into gears. Im sure this has to do with the problem, the clutch arm is in the correct range by the way.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #20 - 11/04/12 at 01:03:10

Naaah,, when it doesnt make a clunk, you got lucky. Its not meant to be quiet, or noisy. Its meant to go into gear, & those gears are spinning, & they clack & bang around & theyre Right Down Thayer, inside that metal box, between your legs. Yea, Its gonna make racket.. no biggee at all.
When it doesnt wanna go into 1st, its not usually a motorcycle failure, usually, its the guy holdin the clutch. If youve been sitting, in neutral, holding the clutch lever pulled in, its not gonna go into gear easily.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
trini tuner
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Miami, FL
Reply #21 - 11/05/12 at 20:55:10

That makes me feel alot better.  Smiley
After some more time on the bike and what you said ive realized that its probably shifting fine but i did have to get it into gear real fast to avoid an angry mother coming after me with a broomstick and i almost got clobbered because it wouldnt go in, until i stepped on it like my well being depended on it lol and also the clutch still slips but not nearly as much as when i was using the valvoline motorcycle oil but i didnt expect the oil to cure it completely anyway.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #22 - 11/05/12 at 21:06:30

If you sit in Neutral with the clutch lever pulled in, youre begging for

"It wont go into first gear" problems,. If you need to get in gear, quick, let the clutch out to the spot where it would start to pull a little If it was in gear, pull the clutch in & step down,.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #23 - 11/06/12 at 04:52:03

trini tuner wrote on 11/05/12 at 20:55:10:
i did have to get it into gear real fast to avoid an angry mother coming after me with a broomstick and i almost got clobbered because it wouldnt go in, until i stepped on it like my well being depended on it lol.

I think that story may be more interesting than the clutch issue!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #24 - 11/06/12 at 15:07:54

Well, what do you know: It finally hit me today as well on the way to work. Bang, and the clutch was gone. First I thought it was the cable, but nope!
I had to push the bike back home about a mile uphill. About 200 yards from the house I was in tears from exhaustion and pain in the hamstrings.
I hope I can find the broke off piece though......I'm gonna tear it apart tonight and look.
Parts are on order...DANG! :'(

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #25 - 11/06/12 at 15:27:07

No way I could push it home... I was on the superslab.
think I push started it in gear from a dead stop.   Cool
jammed into 2nd from there it was a piece of cake.
10 miles to home.

the busted piece was still hanging on the shaft.

WWW   IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #26 - 11/06/12 at 16:43:16

Tore it apart and found that the oil pump gear has about 1/16" to 1/8" axial slop. It isn't near enough to disengage from what I can tell, but is that normal?
I also found the source of the problem with oil seepage from the top in the area around the bolt closest to the oil filler. The case has a hairline crack above the thread. I have troubles with that since 15k miles, so the crack must be really old. Figure I'm gonna put that bolt back in there dipped into RTV and go from there. Not much you can do about that tiny crack.

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #27 - 11/07/12 at 08:31:20

Upon looking closer at the broken pieces of the clutch cam/rocker it is pretty obvious why the part breaks often. it isn't a piece of powder metal or the likes, it is in fact matrix pulled bar stock steel that gets chopped of piece by piece in the factory and then the oval shaped hole in the middle gets reamed/stamped out showing I tool identations on both sides. The pieces then get hardened, which should be case hardenend in that matter. The reason is because the stressed areas of the part are exposed to shear and torsional forces which require the steel core of the part to remaoin somewhat "flexible".
And here is where the problem comes in. The piece is REALLY hard, evident through the barely visible rub marks in the identation where the clutch rod touches. The HRC on this part is really good, considered that the bike has 18k mile on it. the way the part fractured indicates that after the hardening the part did not get annealed properly and that is why so many break.
I'm considering annealing the new poece before putting it in. Not sure yet, because the part lasted for that long, which is kind of a surprise. The only reason it didn't break sooner is the fact that the stressed corners have sufficient radius to spread the loads.

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 11/07/12 at 13:12:22

Ralfyguy, I understand your complaint and have noticed that case hardening has almost become obsolete.  Now days they often use one of the new specialty alloys of steel.  Case hardening is one more process with several steps and it is probably cheaper to buy the alloy.  

Sometimes in order to save an old machine I make or repair parts with mild steel and case hardening has all the advantages you mentioned. At home I use a small heat treating furnance and case harden parts that I have made or repaired and the results are usually good. I use Kasenite to provide the case hardening material and have good results with it.  It might be worth a try with your clutch part but it's got to be a lot easier to buy new ones.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #29 - 11/07/12 at 13:32:45

case hardening is still used where labor is cheap and special alloys aren't available.

case in point, the cam chain adjusters plunger.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 12:31:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clutch cam release (rocker arm) keeps breaking

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.