Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Clutch cam release (rocker arm) keeps breaking (Read 510 times)
trini tuner
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Miami, FL
Clutch cam release (rocker arm) keeps breaking
10/19/12 at 11:48:57

Hey there everyone i am a proud owner of a 2001 suzuki savage, im having some trouble with it. You see, i just replaced the clutch cam release after it broke on me shortly after buying the bike, i didnt even ride the bike for more than 200 miles before it broke again.  Angry

I have checked the arm by the case and it sits between the marks correctly i havent adjusted the cable and it seems to be fine and have the right amount of freeplay (something like 3mm or so by the handle?)

Am i doing something wrong? The first time i replaced the side cover the feel i got from the clutch lever was very nice i could pull it in with just two fingers but i used the wrong gasket maker and leaked oil all over so was forced to pull it again and do it right, the last time i installed the side cover the clutch lever was hard again but i didnt bother to remove it again as i was worried the seal i was making with the gasket maker on the sidecover wouldnt be too great if i did, is there a certain way for the spring to sit in there or something?
The way i see it is something or somethings in the system are not up to mark and its placing a great stress on that part so it continues to break as it is made from some weaker type of metal (so that it breaks first).

Help guys this is a real bummer i just wanna ride!

IP Logged
trini tuner
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Miami, FL
Re: Clutch cam release (rocker arm) keeps breaking
Reply #1 - 10/19/12 at 11:49:30

Its part number 23 in this link in figure 14 http://www.suzukisavage.lt/upl/file/manual/PDF07-ls650-parts-list.pdf

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 10/19/12 at 13:18:20

Why are you using "gasket maker" on the clutch cover?  The factory didn't use it, and I don't use it and mine clutch cover doesn't leak.

Get a new gasket if the old one is hard or torn.  You can re-use the gasket several times......I have had my clutch cover off 2-3 times with the same gasket.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 10/19/12 at 13:24:23

These are sintered powder metal parts.
Not as strong as billet.

I've broken one.  It's fun riding w/o a clutch.   Shocked

possibly you're overstressing the part by bottoming out the clutch rod.
or snapping it back to the released position.
or it fits loose on the shaft

If I remember correctly, the rod sticks out of the clutch pack by 12.5 mm give or take a mile.  Longer and it'll bottom out on the cover, shorter and you don't have enough throw.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 10/19/12 at 20:58:06

the last time i installed the side cover the clutch lever was hard again

Pull the side cover. Pull the rod out & Look At it carefully. Look for any sign of a mark on one side.
Something in the clutch pack is wrong or something is dragging on the rod. How hard it is to pull the clutch in 200 miles shouldnt change,Its not between the clutch lever & that throwout cam, or the cable would be a mess. If it got harder to pull the clutch AND the same part broke,, something is up in the clutch pack or something is in that hole the rod sits in,

the last time i installed the side cover the clutch lever was hard again

Or, am I r4eading this wrong? Are you saying it was hard after you put it back together, but not before?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
trini tuner
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Miami, FL
Reply #5 - 10/20/12 at 08:47:03

Well i went to measure the push rod and ended up putting it back in the wrong place for not paying attention to what i was doing, any one have any idea how to remove it from the small hole in front of the primary gear (well the gear thats next to the clutch pack) the one where you have to use a nickel to break loose the 30mm nut and then it looks like the shaft for the valve timing chain? Well its stuck in that shaft, I tried using a magnet and what not but just ended up pushing it back til it went no more out of frustration im seriously considering just lodging it in there with a bamboo chop stick or something but i know thats not right. Jeez.. it measured something like 10mm
I know im not the first one but i really need help on how to get it out i tried searching but cant seem to come up with the correct wording.  Undecided

IP Logged
trini tuner
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Miami, FL
Reply #6 - 10/20/12 at 08:53:31

The lever was hard to pull when i first bought the bike, after i installed the new rocker arm for the first time it worked really easily, but i was forced to pull the side cover yet another time to fix the seal and then thats when it became hard again.
I was looking at the rod and it looked fine, your right it shouldnt change in 200 miles i think maybe it gets harder to pull once the rocker arm creates a crack? because it also get harder to get it into gear sometimes right before it breaks.
It might be from snapping the lever back like verslagen said but i only do that when im riding hard and trying to shift fast and i dont think the way i do it is abusing it in a way that it will break?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 10/20/12 at 13:49:45

YOuve seen it hard & youve seen it easy,, when its hard, the cam breaks. YOu gotta find whats binding.
When it was hard to pull in, did it pop back out quickly or did it feel like when you let off a little with the grip it was a little slow pressing the lever back into your hand? IOW, do you think theres something in the clutch pack dragging? Has the clutch pack been taken apart?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
trini tuner
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Miami, FL
Reply #8 - 10/21/12 at 08:18:17

When it was hard to pull in, i dont think it would pop back quickly but it did feel like at times it was just a bit slow pulling in the lever again but that could have been my hand getting tired?
It might help if i mention that the clutch does slip under hard acceleration. and the bike has almost 20k miles on it.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 10/21/12 at 17:28:00

I cant let go of the fact that youve seen the clutch be easier & harder to pull in,, If that was a cable problem, the throwout cam wouldntr have "felt" it, If it was a rod length problem, why would it have changed w/o changing the rod? So, IM left thinking its something outta whack in the clutch pack,

Anyone have any other ideas to offer this guy?

IP Logged
trini tuner
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Miami, FL
Reply #10 - 10/21/12 at 20:38:47

Maybe I am overstressing the part by bottoming out the clutch rod. I can also imagine how it fitting loose over the shaft could cause it to break too, is it supposed to wiggle a bit if anyone can recall or is it not supposed to have any play?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 10/21/12 at 21:59:42

Slack in the parts wont make them break,

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #12 - 10/22/12 at 12:09:14

Sounds like it's bottoming out to me.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 10/22/12 at 14:09:19

OP reports times when the clutch lever pulls easily, other times not. Bottoming out would only be felt at the end of the lever pull. It wouldnt create a hard pull thru the length of the pull.

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #14 - 10/22/12 at 15:00:07

This is the timeline I read:

Hard to pull
-
took apart/reassembled
-
Easy to pull
-
took apart/reassembled
-
Hard to pull

Is that correct or does it vary while you're riding it?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 12:29:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clutch cam release (rocker arm) keeps breaking

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.