Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
Cortex A15 is here, Apple and 5 others shipping (Read 742 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Cortex A15 is here, Apple and 5 others shippin
Reply #75 - 11/30/12 at 17:33:23

$89 buys a quad core A-9 with Ubuntu support ....  complete with heat sink style extruded case

http://www.hardkernel.com/renewal_2011/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G1353413...

Cheesy

Man oh man, they are getting closer and closer to my "double up"  goal numbers ..... and these guys talk "overclocking" too.

« Last Edit: 11/30/12 at 18:59:13 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #76 - 11/30/12 at 19:48:45

Dangit, now where was that when I ordered the Hackberries  Undecided

On the Hackberry it's kinda slow in linux still with a GUI due to the beta issues of having to reverse engineer a gpu driver for the mali graphics, but I bet that quad core would do just fine until they get all the bugs ironed out in the drivers for the mali graphics in linux.  So I'm having to stick to Android on it for the intended use I planned for the 2 hackberries so I can have the hardware acceleration of the graphics.

I'm almost thinking about ordering one of those after the holidays, but I think I may wait to see what comes next.  They seem to be progressing rather fast on these little ARM powered boards lately so who knows what will come in the 1st qtr of the new year.

R.F.

OF --- hold on to them, Linaro has released real drivers to the Linux Kernel which will be incorporated and dispersed with Kernal  release 3.7.7 and up.   Things should "just work" with Mali 400 after that point.

« Last Edit: 12/02/12 at 16:29:18 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #77 - 11/30/12 at 21:13:45

From what I remember, multi-core counts 1 for the first cpu plus 1/2 for the second and the rest don't count at all unless you have a game or an app that uses all 4 cores effectively to the max (and nothing ever does).

So this thing is effectively a 2.5 gigahertz machine   (1.7 plus .85) with 2 gig of systems memory with a Mali 400 4 core gpu.   Video is not so hot for now-a-days, got some better stuff out there already.

So, this is the first "double up" machine to my white box at home.    and it does look good too, sitting in that significant heat sink that it doesn't really need unless you are overclocking it and mashing it hard.

Now the Allwinner A40 will swing 4 A-7 cores at 1.2 gigahertz (1.8 total) with 2 gig of systems memory and a Mali 658 8 core graphics system.  It will cost like $50 after it is out a while.

I am sure Hardcore is going to do all the Samsung chips in series as they roll out so there is a dual and quad core A15 out there in the future (which will kick some serious ass inside the next year at 2.2 + 1.1 = 3.3 gigahertz with an 8 core Mali 658 system on the quad core A-15.

Oddly enough, this quad core A-9 rig up will run hotter than any of the future ones as it is an older larger 32nm lithography set up.

The newer chips which come after this will come in at 28nm and 20nm and be physically much smaller and run a lot cooler to boot.

« Last Edit: 12/02/12 at 16:33:19 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #78 - 12/03/12 at 13:35:41

OF,  just saw your edit reply in my post.   I'm not getting rid of these hackberries at all.  Even with the Android OS they are gonna work perfect for my intended use for the kids X-Mas presents maybe even better since Netflix streaming still isn't available in Linux yet, but it in Android.  All I really have left todo on these things is make the cases for them now and also do a new kernel with the CIFS module added so that I can mount the Media share from my server as a network drive on them and they will be ready to wrap up.  Under Android when I downloaded one of the file managers that lets you explore network drives I was able to pick and play some of the movies from there to test them out, and even with some of the movies I did awhile back when testing out the best settings for Blu-Ray transcoding for quality vs size, I tried some of the ones that I did at the higher quality and these little boards didn't miss a beat at 1080P resolution and full 5.1 DTS-HD sound.

Now since you said the linux kernel 3.7.7 will support the mali gpu natively in linux that will be perfect for when I get my cubie board in to play with for myself, as it has the same A10 chip on it, just has the added capabilities of most of the other pins brought out to an expansion header where as the hackberry doesn't.  From the latest email I got from them over at the cubie group I will be among the first to get my delivery because of the package I got.  They just ended the Funds drive and are now in the production stage for the boards so it should be shortly after the first of the year for me to get it.

Now for that new board you linked with the quad core.  One thing I really like about it, other then the extra power, is the ability to use and swap out on-board emmc, with is much faster then SDcards.  I was looking at the options and they have them available with android or Linux pre-installed on them ranging from 8GB to 64GB sizes.  Those would make some nice little white box general use desktops for people that don't really need a demanding computer, although I'm sure the mali 400 could handle some decent gaming and it definitely handles 1080P movies without any issues at all.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #79 - 12/03/12 at 13:58:26

Having met the "double up" requirements and seeing "triple up" becoming available inside the upcoming year, I am content to wait and continue watching the explosion of new goodies.

You are not the only one reporting lacks on the software side -- most litle box forums are rife with teething issues on the software side, which they are patching as fast as they can with custom patches (but they are patching things that should be done in the kernel, which slows the device down accordingly).

Linus is complaining about ARM being too disjointed with "nobody in charge" and Linaro is trying to step into that gap by offering tool chain kits BEFORE the various SOC chips designed and released.   Linus is tell the chip dudes to use the tool chain tools and stock drivers, or provide a fully tested driver set up front if you want into the kernel.

The marketplace is also showing a strong preference for "conforming" chipsets like the Allwinner chipsets, which stick strictly to the Linaro tool chain models (and also make it to market quicker and cheaper for having done so).

Kernel 3.7.7 will open up some of the flood gates to these type of devices.  And I am expecting somebody other than Ubuntu to start putting out some dedicated distros designed exactly and specifically for the little ARM chipsets boxes.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #80 - 12/03/12 at 22:24:28

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #81 - 12/05/12 at 12:38:54

http://liliputing.com/2012/12/chip-updates-new-processors-for-tablets-phones-...

Chip announcement time !!!

The rumors begin to get real part numbers and proposed ship dates.

Allwinner quad core A-7 is going to be called the Allwinner A31.   And this is going to be a low end chip for next year's cell phone & tablet horse races ....

Samsung Exynos 5440 quad-core ARM Cortex-A15 chip is going to be the best highest level candidate for "3x up on my home PC in a little bitty format".

We are still waiting for details on the graphics cores to be released, but first info is that everyone wants to be able to provide "retinal displays" so look for the Mali 400 go go away and the new Mali numbers to start with 6xx designations.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #82 - 12/06/12 at 16:33:39

Onda V972 Quad Core 9.7 Inch Retina Screen RAM 2GB Dual Camera Android Tablet PC 16GB

http://liliputing.com/2012/12/onda-v972-tablet-features-an-allwinner-quad-cor...

OK, Allwinner does the same exact trick again as they did last time -- they don't say squat until the real products hit the shelves and WHAMMO, they are at least one processor generation ahead of their low end competitors with a good supply of chips to ship.  

Here is a quad core A-7 with a retina display for $250 $240  -- translate for me please if you would -- "a Chinese retina display Ipad 3 competitor for half the price (and very soon to go lower yet again and again)"

I didn't expect to see this this year from Allwinner, I was thinking late first quarter of next year at the earliest.   But thar she blows, the Allwinner white whale jumps high and totally skips over the A-9 directly to the A-7 28 nanometer generation.

Next skip jump they take will be a 64 bit A-53 at 20 nanometer, and that will be what, late next year?    Shocked

« Last Edit: 12/06/12 at 21:35:09 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #83 - 12/06/12 at 16:46:18

retina display?

do you poke yerself in the eye to select stuff?   Shocked

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #84 - 12/06/12 at 17:51:33

Nope, it is APPLE marketing speak for so many pixels that your eye can't keep up with it any more.

Not to be confused with Retina2 displays which will come out this summer with twice as many pixels.  

Seriously, you just have to look at stuff & squint to move your cursor.    Grin    thank you, Stephen Hawking, your eye cursor is now mainstream

Yeah, sounds fantastic doesn't it?   But this year's talk to it and it talks back tablets was kinda nifty too, wasn't it?  

Struck 'ol Bill's boys plumb mute it did.

Wink

In this case it is 2048 by 1536 resolution or QXGA (the lower right hand rectangle corner)

.... and this is in a cheap Chinese tablet landing before Santa does this year???  

What in the world will Santa bring the rich kids next Christmas?

« Last Edit: 12/08/12 at 05:05:15 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #85 - 12/07/12 at 11:21:55

"You can't always believe what you read" category

"The overall performance is 2 times faster as that of the Quad Core Tegra 3,  1.5 times faster than iPad 2,and rival that of the New iPad."

No less than 5 additional Chinese tablet makers have outed their Allwinner A31 "APPLE like" 9.7 inch tablets.   Why the exact same screen size as APPLE?   The manufacturers who supplied APPLE are the only ones making a "retina" quality display screen.  

These Chinese folks are claiming "better performance" than the IPad3 on display and battery life.  
Roll Eyes
NOT REAL, these claims -- 85-90% as good, OK we could accept that but Better ???  Naw, APPLE ain't that easy.   But we can see Google and Amazon and Barnes & Noble sucking dust as of today.

However, now you can see the monkey gun in motion.  APPLE has to rush their A57 quad core equivalent into production ASAP or the faster to market Chinese using hard macro A53 designs straight from ARM are going to deny them their 1 year advantage just about completely.

Look for APPLE to come out with a new killer diller processor in the spring, but also look for the gap to narrow between APPLE and the cheap Chinese competition.  Also look for some of the slower competitors to do a Texas Instrument move and "leave the market" as they simply can't keep up with this crazy insane pace.  

Plus, the cheap stuff from China just lapped them again ....  that's gotta hurt.  In this market, that means low to no sales on all your stock on hand as Android press and people KNOW what is hot and what is not.  And you drop all efforts on anything that will not be competitive, right now you drop it.

And on top of this, Allwinner and the rest are already working on their multi core A53 chipsets (the chip are similar which will make it easy to do IF 20 nanometer production lines are built quickly in China as well).

===========

Crazy stuff continues on the A31 saga -- 5 Chinese phones are out using the same quad core chip.  What in the world is a phone going to do with all that horsepower?  

Answer is simple, the chip can autoscale all the way back to just one (1) A7 core running at its lowest idle speed just to keep the background emails and messages and tweets running.  It can instantly and seamlessly scale up through that core's speed range and each of the remaining cores speed range as needed to handle the workload.   The phones will be seamlessly FAST and will last a longer time between charges.

The A7 chip was built from the ground up to be the most energy efficient chip ARM has ever built.  Phones were supposed to use a single big little with one A7 and one A15 for phones, but the Chinese caught on to a trick, four A7s can do anything a single core each big little can do at similar to better energy cost, so why go there at all?  

Plus, the quad core A7 is cheaper to make and takes up less real estate on the lithography wafer than a single A15 does and it has much higher production yields as well.  The A15 core is much more complex and it by itself carries a scrap penalty that is much higher than a whole quad core A7 SOC would carry.

Fair warning, this Chinese production/energy trick didn't go past ARM unnoticed.  The new A53 64 bit chipsets at 20 nanometer have hard macro designs starting at 4 and going up to 8 cores.

If Allwinner comes flying out of the gate with an 8 core A53 with next gen above retina graphics MID NEXT YEAR, the slower guys like Qualcom and Broadcom might well toss in their towels.  

The cheapest of the cheap are nipping at the heels of APPLE and leaving no room for the rest of the pack.

Software in Android and in Linux needs to get much better at using multiple cores past the first two.

Quad core is going to be dirt common in the future and a lot of games and stuff now are barely recognizing and using a dual core set-up anywhere near effectively.   Better, more modern software will be required in the future.

« Last Edit: 12/07/12 at 16:44:27 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #86 - 12/07/12 at 17:52:54

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 12/07/12 at 11:21:55:
Software in Android and in Linux needs to get much better at using multiple cores past the first two.

Quad core is going to be dirt common in the future and a lot of games and stuff now are barely recognizing and using a dual core set-up anywhere near effectively.   Better, more modern software will be required in the future.

It's not just Android and Linux that need to step up here,  All software does.  Very few things really use multi-threading beyond 2 to 3 cores currently unless it's target is the GPU then those apps multi-thread very well. So far I've only see 2 types of applications that multi-thread on cpu's to the full extent well at least to the 8 cores that I have on my main desktop anyways, and that is MySql database and Most Video transcoders based on x264 such as Handbrake and RipBot 264. I have tried MicroSucks SQL Database and can't get it to use more then 4 cores under a heavy load when it starts to slow down and get laggy.  

So Software writers really need to get off there collective butts and start making the software compatible with all these extra cores that are more and more common even on the low end stuff.

R.F.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #87 - 12/08/12 at 11:54:14

Android and Linux deal with two different code masses, really.  

Mainstream Linux has been 64 bit  and multi-core for quite a while, so the 64 bit stuff will be fine when we get there next year.   Problem is we are currently having to run the "old 32 bit versions" of Linux on the existing 32 bit ARM stuff that is available now and one of the precepts of "old 32 bit versions" of Linux is that it was intentionally written for older single core processors.

So, Linux will ramp up next year just fine to multi-tread, multi-core and 64 bit as it will be rejoining the main stream of things (even have a supporting 64 bit kernel with drivers and all).   It won't be flaw free, a changeover never is.  Lots of things will hit bug lists and get fixed inside of 6 months or so.  

Older Linux programs will still have been aimed at single thread execution as after all, they are older programs.   Lots of old stuff in Linux though, old code that works well doesn't get scrapped, it gets reused.  Linux is full of older code -- it works, so they don't mess with it just for the jollies of it.

Android however will be have to be re-released in a 64 bit supporting dessert flavor that will have practically NO software out there in the Play Store that is written for 64 bit or multi-core.  And all the older Android games were all built in a 32 bit single processor single threaded world.

So, if I were faced with a high clock speed dual core A57 that sucked some juice vs a more efficient quad or octa core A53, either of which tested out within 10% of each other, I'd be better off to go with the fewer faster cores (at a higher price, cost and energy use) because the existing software mass can handle dual cores a lot better than it can a quad core.  

Octa core?  Really now, they will never get off idle if they are load-spreading across 8 cores and that is if they can get all 8 of the cores to light up using the single stream of 32 bit RISC instructions coming from the software.

Now, Linaro and ARM are aware of and are working on this issue, trying to get the core management system to show the software a multi core processor as if it were a large fast single core system.  Good luck with that, you are just load-spreading instead of multi-treading and we all remember how well that worked in the x86 world when that issue was current.  

You would be a lot smarter to set up the 64 bit system to dual execute 32 bit instructions on each core flawlessly as that is what all Android software is, a string of fast 32 bit RISC instructions.  However, you just 2x'd your functional core count which made the core issue worse, not better.  It is a puzzlement, no?

===============

Now the good news.  32 bit RISC instructions execute quickly and they can be split up between cores efficiently if the system is really set up that way.  So Android and Linux code will still remain much faster than X86 code even if the 64 bit changeover is fraught with old software, etc. etc.   The code is much smaller and lighter (and generally speaking better written).

And the new generation processors are so much faster that folks will see NOTICEABLE speed increases and new snappy smooth performance out of these new devices.

Grin

And if you can Stephen Hawing eyeball your screen to move the cursor and talk to your machine as well as touch the screen and type on the keyboard and click your mouse, boy, just think how much more exercise you are going to get.  

The kids a year or so from now will sit in class with their phones in their laps just a twitching and blinking and mumbling to themselves -- a regular epileptic twitchy generation.

« Last Edit: 12/08/12 at 22:00:55 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #88 - 12/10/12 at 06:25:04

http://liliputing.com/2012/12/allwinner-introduces-dual-and-quad-core-tablets...

And now comes the Allwinner A20 SOC, a dual core A7 that wields the same Mali400 graphics as the original A10 had --- and cleverly uses the exact same die size and ball pin connections.  

So, any Chinese tablet or device that used the A10 can drop in an A20 and get dual core power with no additional investments in board or tooling or really much of anything.   Can we say "clever recycling"?

Clock speed is not formally out yet, but 1.0 to 1.2 ghz per core is likely since overheating won't be the issue that it was with the A10.  

So, let's swing low on our estimations, 1.0 for the first core and a half (0.5) for the second core which would add up to be a 1.5 gigahertz type performing dual core chipset.

Energy use would be very good, and it would be very convenient to drop this ball connector "pin matching" chip into a whole bunch of existing tablet and board and stick PC designs.

Linux support has not been announced, but Mali400 is currently supported as is the A7 cores will be, so the only issue is the supported peripherals which should be able to be covered by Linux kernel 2.6.7  when it actually hits the distros.   Allwinner can expedite this with the Linaro group as they did with the A10 which will open up the A-20 floodgates to the various hobby groups.  

But once again, instead of being baked into the kernel the support will be driver based (somewhat slower).

This chip will power the less than $100 tablets and phones, it will not be in the upper half of things power-wise at all.

But Allwinner will sell a mort of them, bunches and bunches as tooling and boards already exist with no additional effort needed.

Look for rapid upgrades in your hobby stuff that is already out there.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #89 - 12/18/12 at 16:16:28

77 cores, coming in 2013,  Tegra 4 Wayne A15 chip

Got to rush "the big gun"  to market, as it only has 6-8 months before it gets washed away by the 64 bit stuff .....

The Wayne processor is said to feature 4-plus-1 processor cores, much like the NVIDIA Tegra 3 processor. That means it’s basically a quad-core chip with an extra low-power companion core which kicks in for basic, low-level functions.

What’s new is the graphics area of the chip, which will reportedly have 72 cores and offer 6 times the performance of Tegra 3, and 20 times the performance of a Tegra 2 chip.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 00:26:23

General CategoryThe Cafe › Cortex A15 is here, Apple and 5 others shipping

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.