Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
Cortex A15 is here, Apple and 5 others shipping (Read 742 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Cortex A15 is here, Apple and 5 others shippin
Reply #60 - 11/06/12 at 10:00:08

The FIRST AMD C70 low powered device is out

E350 and E450 chipsets have been cancelled at AMD in favour of their New and Improved low power chipset, the C70.   This pupper is supposed to go into "full power" laptops, tablets and such and supposedly "will not require a fan".

HOWEVER, there is a conflict between the use of full power levels and "no fan" that still apparently exists in all the low power AMD and Intel processors.

Here is an inside the cases look at the first C70 unit that is being shipped now as a "low power energy efficient fanless device".

===========

Contrast this with the heat sinks required on the the current ARM processors.

Now, let's be straight about the power vs capability of things -- the AMD C70 MUST use x86 technology and it must run Windows 7 and 8 as that is all that Microsoft will sell now days.

IF folks could admit that other OS systems exist that can handle their daily needs just dandy -- then they wouldn't have to run a hand warmer for a chipset.

X86 computing is what requires the hand heater style power levels ...... the complex instruction set require massive pipelines and other things that require a lot of space inside the processor.

To bring this into correct focus, a Chrome book (running Chrome or Linux) is functionally just as fast (normal items) as a x86 machine using what Intel and AMD are trying to sell as their low power non energy wasting chipsets.

However, obviously there is still a lot of energy getting wasted on the x86 machines.

Windows RT is a step in the right direction, hopefully by Win9 or Win10 it will all be RT style internal programming with the x86 stuff being more of the "legacy mode" emulation arrangement that Apple uses.

Wink

Reduced instruction set computing doesn't require all that much pipeline nor does it require at all the on board subsystems that x86 computing requires.

ARM chips actually have the whole shooting match right on the chip itself, and they rarely ever get more than 110o in heavy use.

« Last Edit: 11/06/12 at 12:31:37 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #61 - 11/06/12 at 10:38:54

Found another little Allwinner A10 based board that has alot more of the features of the chip available via pin outs it doesn't have wifi but I'm sure you can solve that via a usb dongle since there are lots of them out there that are supported via linux.

http://cubieboard.org/  

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #62 - 11/06/12 at 12:10:15

The Hackberry has wifi and has pin outs, the Cubie does not have Wifi but you can dongle it thru USB if you want to.

Legacy Cat5 service is another way these boards tend to differ.  As is video, some have HDMI as their main squeeze and others go after supporting existing hardware.   Some support VGA monitors, existing speakers, etc.  And I think I see a hard drive ribbon connector on this bad boy .....

Me, I'm watching that Olimex site as they seem to be intent on building complete cheap little linux single board computers using my existing monitor, keyboard and speakers AND they are saying the Allwinner A31/A40 (28 nanometer quad core A7) chip will be here soon with boards built and fully Linux supported by Olimex.   So now you got Miniand and Olimex as saying "We support Linux on Allwinner chipsets and we will have great new stuff soon."

http://liliputing.com/2012/11/olinuxino-a13-a-tiny-open-source-computer-for-u...

« Last Edit: 12/08/12 at 05:18:29 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #63 - 11/06/12 at 12:51:18

Speaking of that 28 nanometer quad core cortex A7 Allwinner A40 chipset, one of their phone customers has done let the cat out of the bag and we are also looking at Mali 658 or better graphics to go along with that new chipset.   Quad core A7 will be significantly faster than a single or dual core A8 or A9 as each of the four A7 cores can do the same amount of work as a A8 core can do, PLUS they get to offload associated video processing tasks to the 8 graphics cores in the Mali 658 processor.

This is Apple's favorite trick, offloading CPU tasks to the GPU to speed up the overall workflow of getting it up on the screen quickly.

Because the A40 will ship out at 28 nanometer it will be functionally as fast as a quad core A9 is right now (which is built at 40 nanometer).

This is not going to be a shabby slow low cost SOC at all, it will be the equal to any of the pre A-15's SOCs out there, including the last year's Apple, the one that drives the retina display in the 10" tablet.  But later on next year it will actually be the bottom of the new food chain and it will wind up being quite inexpensive.

Yield will drive this little chip out of the gate first out of the A-15 family -- the 12 cores on the same silicon A40 (4 cpu and 8 gpu) will be the same physical size as a single current A8 chip is now.  Still, the new 28 nanometer process means a lot more computer power can go on the same POP package size -- which means you can get a LOT MORE of them off of a standard substrate wafer compared to their bigger A-15 brothers.  And since they are simple and easy lithography (compared to an A-15 big-LITTLE package)  you will get a lot more of them at the end of each production day.

Demand for this A40 chip will be HUGE, as until big-LITTLE really takes off good at the end of next year this quad core Allwinner SOC will be a really commanding "bottom end" to the phone and tablet markets.  It will require LESS POWER than existing single core chips, so it will need same size or smaller batteries.  Phones will be faster and slimmer.

And that is Allwinner's key market segment, the bottom end of the food chain.  They aim and plan to take it for at least a year, then they let somebody else vie to have it for six months while they prepare their next assault to be good for another year.  

Allwinner sells a LOT of chips with this philosophy, they get ARM do a good hard micro and they very early on selectively buy up the bottom of the heap (defined as best processing power for the best battery life) and then immediately go into full production on a fully supported (ARM guaranteed) design putting it out at a commandingly low price.  

People kept saying that the A10 came out of nowhere and simply took over .... and they were right.

Think of them as the Apple of the Low End.

And because of this speed to market you will see little oriental companies advertising their new A7 quad core Allwinner A40 phones before the big boys even have their very expensive A-15 stuff out on the deluxe deep end of the pool.

« Last Edit: 11/10/12 at 22:49:08 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #64 - 11/07/12 at 12:00:02

Steam and CroTeam have figured out that the Linux gaming platform is viable financially.

They have each taken a very fool proof method to get 100% assured works every time game play -- they provide you with a customized stripped down speeded up command line Linux OS as part of the game.

They can do this for free, the code <1 gigabyte compressed and wonder of wonder, you start up the game and suddenly you got full featured game, on Linux.  You log off, you go back to your normal Linux distro.

Do you remember when most state of the art games used to reboot you back to a customized DOS for speed reasons back when Windows was a puppy?   This in-game OS should be familiar to you then .... and also note this same release method should run on any version of Windows as well since you are suspending the background OS and starting up your own.  Microsoft is fighting against this sort of stuff with their "digital verification" schemes as they want all games to be Direct X driven (fighting to keep alive, in other words).

============

Linux is getting ready to support Direct X 11 naturally using Wine and Reactos code, so even this work around may not be required for very long.  It still is FASTER though, and these new games require some Serious speed.

============

Why are they doing this?  Many ex Russian states have never been big on Microsoft, they have always been Linux driven.  They are writing and consuming a lot more games now-a-days, too.

CroTeam = Croatia based company in case you have forgotten

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #65 - 11/07/12 at 12:14:01

Dang I've already got the Hackberry boards in hand.  Not bad coming from Hong Kong 3 days from the day I ordered.  I wasn't expecting them so fast so now I'm waiting on the keyboards with built in trackpads that I ordered before I can begin messing with them.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #66 - 11/07/12 at 12:19:18

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 11/07/12 at 12:00:02:

Steam and CroTeam have figured out that the Linux gaming platform is viable financially.

They have each taken a very fool proof method to get 100% assured works every time game play -- they provide you with a customized stripped down speeded up command line Linux OS as part of the game.

They can do this for free, the code <1 gigabyte compressed and wonder of wonder, you start up the game and suddenly you got full featured game, on Linux.  You log off, you go back to your normal Linux distro.

Do you remember when most state of the art games used to reboot you back to a customized DOS for speed reasons back when Windows was a puppy?   This in-game OS should be familiar to you then .... and also note this same release method should run on any version of Windows as well since you are suspending the background OS and starting up your own.  Microsoft is fighting against this sort of stuff with their "digital verification" schemes as they want all games to be Direct X driven.

============

Linux is getting ready to support Direct X 11 naturally, so even this work around may not be required for very long.

============

Why are they doing this?  Many ex Russian states have never been big on Microsoft, they have always been Linux driven.  They are writing and consuming a lot more games now-a-days, too.

CroTeam = Croatia based company in case you have forgotten

Now that's pretty cool.  I've been waiting for Steam to port to Linux for along time now. I wasn't aware that they were also working on DirectX being directly compatible for Linux as well.  That is gonna be great.  I'll finally be able to rid myself for the most part of MicroSuck OS

R.F.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #67 - 11/07/12 at 12:25:47

Hackberry is still good for everything it was good for a week ago before all this "early next year" news stuff broke.

Watching ARM is as entertaining as early DOS to Windows used to be, with IBM and Comaq and MS making pacts (OS2) and betraying each other and breaking them.  It was like watching a hand grenade explode in slow time ....

You will NEVER be happy with where you buy in a week after you do it  ....

Did you notice any extra, slightly smaller empty connector blocks over next to the current processor on the boards you just got, kinda rectangular and about 80% the size of the what you got now?

Yup, future processor compatible board designs ....  boards take too much lead time to make (half a year) for this fast changing environment so they put in the socket connectors for the next gen processor if the specs are available.  That way when the processors start to roll, they are already ready.

Now that you know what you are looking for, you can see it on this one,

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #68 - 11/07/12 at 13:32:23

Nope the Hackberry board doesn't have the spot per-designed in for the next gen processor.  Only un-populated spots on the board are 2 areas for 2 more USB connectors one on top and one on the bottom of the board.  The one on the bottom of the board looks more like it is designed for a micro usb connector though instead of the standard type A connector, so I'm guessing that could be for a usb-otg but not sure.  From the reading I've been doing over at miniand most have just wired it with a pigtail to use it as a regular usb port.

If you want I can take a few pics to show you the current shipping design of the board.

R.F.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #69 - 11/07/12 at 16:17:38

Naw, just give us some functional feed back once you get it and a mating Linux up and running.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #70 - 11/07/12 at 16:22:42

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 11/07/12 at 16:17:38:
Naw, just give us some functional feed back once you get it and a mating Linux up and running.

will do.  Should have my SD cards and Keyboards in a few days so then I'll be able to start messing around with them.  So far all I've been able to do, is plug them in and use a mouse with them to verify they work with the stock Android OS that is loaded on them.  I can say for sure so far, it's a quick responding little sucker.  I seems to run alot smoother then my phone does that's a single core at 1.4ghz running JellyBean.

R.F.

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #71 - 11/07/12 at 19:22:15

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 11/07/12 at 12:00:02:

Do you remember when most state of the art games used to reboot you back to a customized DOS for speed reasons back when Windows was a puppy?  

That's because Windows was just a program - not an operating system. Now that it's actually the OS, there's no need for it.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #72 - 11/07/12 at 22:21:50

Yep, this was true -- Windows 3.1 was still a shell over the top of DOS.  XP was the first "unified" Windows (still 32 bit though).  The game people couldn't know what version of DOS you were using so they supplied their own stripped down version so everything would work right (amazing how things change and yet still stay the same).

I am typing this note at 1:08 AM, I just got home from work.  My wife is asleep and the house is quiet.

I am typing this on her laptop as I update and virus check and defrag her working laptop as it is acting "strange" again.  The 3 speed fan is singing me a three tone song in 6 part harmony as it speeds up and down and up and down and down and up and up again as Malwarebytes grinds through the hard drive yet one more time again.

I'm thinkin' lustful thoughts about that purty $249 Google Chrome book running one of the new ARM specific Linux distros that are coming out now days ....

Hell, I'm even thinkin' Chrome OS might even be what she needs ....

I'm thinkin' anyways.  

VERY THIN AND LIGHT with NO FAN at all.   NO antivirus.  NO defrag.  Google automatically senses and replaces any section of the OS that gets altered and you do NOTHING.

But MicroChoke has grabbed her by her POWERPOINT and stuck her to her WORD.  She ain't going anywhere ....  

Chrome OS would be a bridge too far for my babydoll.

Oh well ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #73 - 11/10/12 at 02:23:47

http://www.phonearena.com/news/ARM-Cortex-A15-a-deeper-look_id36225

In this article the 2013 roll-out of the quad core A15 is spelled out, plus the Intel Rabbit That Must Be Pulled Out of the Hat finally gets named and its arrival date is due in mid-2013.  

Note: when pushed by widespread quad core A15 chip releases Intel shows they don't want to get run under the plow blade and get turned under with the sod ....  they are actually going to DO something !!!

3 cheers for Intel -- now let's see you NOT entangle MS in it and get it all screwed up by them like last 2 times.    

History has shown twice now that your very best small light x86 CISC chips can't compete against ARM efficiency (which springs from 32 bit RISC code, which is light and fast to execute).   Dump MicroChoke x86 CISC and live.  

Build a fast light RISC chip that can compete in phone space.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #74 - 11/20/12 at 17:44:27

http://liliputing.com/2012/11/samsung-working-on-quad-core-arm-cortex-a15-chi...

Samsung working on quad-core ARM Cortex-A15 chip with 4 extra low power cores

The 8 core chip will be based on a 28nm design. The 4 Cortex-A15 cores will run at speeds as high as 1.8 GHz and feature 2 MB of L2 cache. The 4 Cortex-A7 cores will go up to 1.2 GHz.

While Samsung is introducing the new processor in February, we probably won’t see it in actual products until later in the year.

Samsung is pulling this "most powerful" A-15 chipset forward to the front of the heap at customer request (Google and others) as the move to 20nm and the A57 series will take place in the following year (being driven forward early by Apple, intentionally).

So if anyone is going to get any benefit out of the most powerful chip out of the A-15 series of chips it needs to be EXPEDITED asap to the front of the line, not "worked up to" over 2 years as in the past.

Progress LEAPS forward on this one ......  

This will be your Christmas 2013 hot chip in all the sweet new devices.  Nexus 8 should be an ass kicker with this processor, as should a new Chromebook or two.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 00:22:23

General CategoryThe Cafe › Cortex A15 is here, Apple and 5 others shipping

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.