Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print
Cortex A15 is here, Apple and 5 others shipping (Read 742 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Cortex A15 is here, Apple and 3 others shippin
Reply #45 - 10/31/12 at 16:47:53

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-10-25/amd-faces-looming-cash-crunch-amid-q...

Bloomberg is kinda doubtful that new revenue streams are going to arrive before the mid winter wolves come a calling .....

(notice: expect a bargain basement sale this mid-winter to avoid foreclosure)

Expect AMD x86 motherboards to get REALLY REALLY cheap pretty soon.

AMD has stocks on hand of "good" chips that are not selling, so to move them they will have to discount them considerably, soon.

Shocked   Sad    Shocked

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Cortex A15 is here, Apple and 5 others shippin
Reply #46 - 11/01/12 at 16:25:06

Here is your first $250 laptop running a dual core A-15 Samsung chipset
(the list price is $250, not a discounted price on Ebay)

Don't get too hyped that it is a Chromebook, Fedora and Ubuntu have already been running on the thing as it has a "bootable" SD card slot.

It isn't a 10" netbook, it is an 11.6 inch super thin laptop that is lighter than the old netbooks used to be as the A-15 ARM chips need NO FAN and the battery can be smaller while actually lasting longer.  The same machine running Wintel costs over $100 more money.

And, as you can see it moves pretty durn quick even while running emulators and multiple multiple overlaid windows.  The reviewer says that the performance is scarcely noticably different from the more expensive Wintel version of the same machine.

Remember, this is just the dual core A-15 Samsung Exnos chip, what Apple is going to be using is the half again more powerful quad core A-15 (Apple A8?) that they have been customizing for their lighter laptops and IPads -- starting out shipping early-mid next year.  

Then late next year for Christmas Apple will be shipping out their first 64 bit dual and quad core A-57 chipsets (Apple modified version of course) which will be one hell of a Intel killer of a chipset.

Obviously, the A-15 can run Linux, OS-x Apple, Microsoft RT and by using Wine and the various emulators it can run Office and other various "mission critical legacy" softwares using your favorite Linux as the base layer.

The orientals will do this same sort of thing with the chip except they will likely chose to run their favorite native language OS (Android).

As long as they make the SD cards bootable, you will be able to pick up a laptop for $200 or slightly less and run whatever you want (that isn't MS that is).

Reactos/Wine is the wild card that could totally crumple up MS with all this new hardware coming out --- look for MS to start suing everybody in fluent rented Russian as soon as Reactos goes beta, seeking US import bans, etc.   This will likely not work out for them very well as the Russian government "supports" the project as a home written, FOSS (Wine) based program.  Plus, if Microsoft were successful in Russian courts, then the project would simply "move" to mirrors in another country that MS can't sue in (can you say China? Iran? North Korea? North Vietnam?).

Roll Eyes    http://www.reactos.org/en/index.html

« Last Edit: 11/02/12 at 10:32:03 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #47 - 11/02/12 at 09:50:34

Wow.. I have read this entire thread... it took nearly and hour.

I have been and AMD fan since my first K6, in fact othr than my Atom in my netbook ( running XP) I have only run AMD.  Currently, I have a great curio that cant now be bought... the Phenom II x4 980 BE @ 3.7GHz.  And yes I use it for gaming.  I knew AMD was messing up, and I knew it must be looking bad for them... I just didnt know how bad.  I do think that at some point the cycle will turn yet again and desktops will have a place... but I am not sure that AMD.. or even Intel will last long enough to see it.  PC gaming has taken some huge hits.. putting gaming over to consoles. Desktops are really dying, which is sad to me, who is gonna run the SETI apps????  

I dont think I would miss MS Windows at home though. But dont count me as an Apple/Mac fan at all.

Lunchtime... laters

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #48 - 11/02/12 at 10:17:40

For you, the $99 Ouya Android gamer system, open source, ARM based.  
http://www.t3.com/features/ouya-specs

It will ship with the current Tegra 3 chips but will be upgraded this year to the A-15 level chips as soon as the Kickstarter group gets what they contracted for and already paid for (they provided the $8 million in front money after all).

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #49 - 11/02/12 at 16:19:49

Wasn;t he talking about his girl friend twisting his ARM?

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #50 - 11/04/12 at 01:15:46

Hey OldFeller,

Miniand just released a limited edition version of the Hackberry board with 8gb of NAND flash on-board on the 1gb ram models.  They sent me an email last night to let me know about it and I've got 2 of them on the way.  Now I just gotta get them working properly as the media center boxes like I'm wanting to and working from a shared folder on the network, plus some sort of remote for each preferably by x-mas as these are intended as gifts for my kids so they can get the movies off the home network on the TV's in their rooms now, instead of just being able to networked movies in the living room.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #51 - 11/04/12 at 04:19:30

It ain't his ARM .....

"Yes baby, I'll get you the little $99 game machine !!!!  Please quit twisting !!!   ouya ....ouya.... ouya !!!!   No squeezing them either  !!!

(yeah, I know -- girls have their ways of getting what they want without having to be twisting or squeezing on anything valuable to them)

==============

Hackberry was created by the Miniand folks fairly quickly when the A10 chipset came out.   When the next Linux supporting type of
the latest greatest comes out the Hackberry design will likely be modded to support that chip.

Issue right now is that ALL the inexpensive Linux supported chipsets come from Allwinner as Allwinner is connected closely to the FOSS people at Linaro.   ARM depends on Linaro to dial in the Linux underpinnings of their various chipsets.  So Allwinner winds up with a fully Linux supported chipset and Miniand winds up with all the Linux supporting distros all listed on Miniand's fairly extensive forum listings.

Allwinner also likes to buy the least expensive plain vanilla ARM hard micro designs (which is a good thing because everything is pre-done correctly and the designs are prototype run on the TSCM processes by ARM before they are released).

The next design that Allwinner has bought and is waiting to have built in quantity by TSCM (or some Chinese foundry if they are indeed able to do it) is the quad core A-7 hard micro variant which they will sell to every phone company in the world as a very low cost basic phone chip (that has more grunt than what the top end phones are using right now).  This quad core chip will use LESS POWER than the single A10 uses now.

This is in contrast to Rockchip that once they get Android 4,0 to run on their chipset they drop off the limited drivers on their customers and they say "All else, up to you."

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #52 - 11/05/12 at 10:07:01

The Empire Strikes Back .....        http://liliputing.com/2012/11/deals-of-the-day-11-05-2012.html

Stung mightily by Google's release of the $249 Chromebook (that can run any Linux ARM distro out there off of the built in bootable SD card slot) Microsoft has struck back with an identical looking 11.6" laptop running their low cost Wintel product line.

"We will annihilate them !!!!  Fire the Deathstar !!"  Sez Darth Surface.

Slowly the humongus battle station swings its moon like bulk into alignment and the five beams merge out at the apex of the huge focusing mirror .....

ZAP !!   ..... but nothing much happens.  The $499 price point is ludicrous as it is exactly twice as much money as the Google Chrome book costs and they function about as fast as each other for all the common user consumption type uses.  

Heck, the Death Star can't even wound the normal $399 laptop crowd at Best Buy with that kind of evil death beam pricing.   And their stuff doesn't even talk to you yet, ether so you can't even get the death screams right when Darth cries out in frustration  "Die !!?? Why won't you die ??"

So, true to form, Darth Surface reaches out and chokes him yet another Death Star Commander to death, venting his endless frustration by yet another internal lay off at team Wintel ....

Wink

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #53 - 11/05/12 at 11:00:46

Here it is, a 4G camera with a 1.4 gigahertz ARM quad core processor in it.

Why?   Because at the chip prices now days you might as well have a camera that shoots and then stores your pictures on your cloud storage automatically.

Can you make phone calls on it?  

Cheesy

..... now you are being silly, that is next year's upgrade model

You can surf the web on it and type in emails and text and such like stuff though.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #54 - 11/05/12 at 11:15:54

rfw2003 wrote on 11/04/12 at 01:15:46:
Hey OldFeller,

Miniand just released a limited edition version of the Hackberry board with 8gb of NAND flash on-board on the 1gb ram models.  They sent me an email last night to let me know about it and I've got 2 of them on the way.  Now I just gotta get them working properly as the media center boxes like I'm wanting to and working from a shared folder on the network, plus some sort of remote for each preferably by x-mas as these are intended as gifts for my kids so they can get the movies off the home network on the TV's in their rooms now, instead of just being able to networked movies in the living room.

R.F.

Hey, that's neat.   Your kids are very lucky and don't even realize it very much (fish in water and all that).  Their own room, their own TV, their own net access node complete with built in storage.

Hey, you wanna adopt me?

Grin

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #55 - 11/05/12 at 11:22:36

ARM Aliance:  Hello Alderaan? How would you like to produce chips for us?

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #56 - 11/05/12 at 11:38:54

I feel like a little bit of Apple math .... how 'bout you?

Apple peaked at 3 million new IPad this and that which were sold on the very first roll out weekend.   (lining up hours early on opening day is part of the Apple mystique, don't you know?)

That math's out to 4320 rpm (retail sales per minute).

Gotta have us a motorcycle reference in here somewhere, now don't we?

So, it took Apple all of 12 minutes to outsell an entire 72 hour opening weekend's worth of Wintel's new Surface stuff (at 50,000 total units sold).  

And that was with all the roll out TV advertising and pre-sold stuff that Microsoft did on their Surface line that first weekend.

===========

I was going to count for you the very few seconds it took for the Google/Samsung $249 Chromebook to whup up on the 50,000 units sold from Wintel's Surface Weekend, but instead I'll have to report that inside 1 hour the $249 Google/Samsung laptop that can run anything but Windows was totally sold out through Christmas.  

Since the $249 Chromebook orders were all pre-punched before the sales even opened it took 3.2 picoseconds for the system to rack them all up and go "Tilt" -- product is on backorder".   We guesstimate that the 50,000 unit point was crossed inside the very first of the 3.2 picoseconds.

I wonder if that crazy Samsung net camera is gonna outsell the MS Surface stuff too?

(did you know that the Raspberry Pi out sold the Surface stuff on Surface Weekend too?   That is really really sad, isn't it?)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #57 - 11/05/12 at 11:45:11

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 11/05/12 at 11:15:54:
Hey OldFeller,

R.F.

Hey, that's neat.   Your kids are very lucky and don't even realize it very much (fish in water and all that).  Their own room, their own TV, their own net access node complete with built in storage.

Hey, you wanna adopt me?

Grin

hehe... my kids KNOW I am geek/nerd... what they dont realize is that they are pretty lucky to have such.  
My has his xbox 360 in his room with his own flatscreen ( small though) .. when CoD didnt give him the speeds he wanted via wifi... we ran ethernet to his room.  he acknowledges.. its almost not fair .... those he competes against.  Of course they have about 100GB of music on the NAS... son either pulls music down off that or off Spotify while he games.  My daugher has 100Gb of movies on the NAS, but she lives away, so she comes home and pulls some down local and then watches them while away. That or her own Netflix account. The only thing she ever wants for Christmas is DVD's of series ( Bones, NCIS, House). The wife STOLE my Blue player and put it in the living room .. leaving me with NOTHING in the bedroom. We dont have but a few blue-rays, but the player gets Netflix (Remington Steele, Quincy, Cannon, Quantum Leap)

Me... I burn many hours at TedTalks and Wimp.com. TV.. meh

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #58 - 11/05/12 at 11:59:27

Black Friday is 11 days from now .....

What are you willing to line up for this time?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #59 - 11/05/12 at 13:38:05

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 11/05/12 at 11:15:54:
Hey OldFeller,

R.F.

Hey, you wanna adopt me?

Grin

LOL  they love my little tech gifts I give them.   They know more then most kids around here though,  they are fairly familiar with linux already as I've already got them on a linux box for doing most of their computing needs.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 02:37:33

General CategoryThe Cafe › Cortex A15 is here, Apple and 5 others shipping

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.