Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Cortex A15 is here, Apple and 5 others shipping (Read 742 times)
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Re: Cortex A15 is here, Apple and 3 others shippin
Reply #30 - 10/23/12 at 16:09:38

For now I'll stick with my good reliable AMD processors until ARM architecture proves out to be just as powerful as the current desktop 64bit processors out there.  I am definitely impressed by what those little ARM processors are doing but they just can't keep up yet when it comes to raw processing power.  

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #31 - 10/23/12 at 18:14:07

What will signal that level of competence?

ARM chips have already overtaken the Duron/Centrino/Atom class of chips, the new A6x from Apple are knocking around about the Athelon levels now as far as what they can do and how fast they can do it.

Remember these are 32 bit chipsets because their operating world is RISC (reduced instruction set computing) and that stuff runs very quickly & efficiently executing fast simple 32 bit instructions.

Increasing the chip I/O to 64 bit isn't going to do anything immediately for Android or Linux related software as most of that is 32 bit structure right now and that isn't going to change unless there is some advantage to changing it.   The first 64 bit ARM chips are LIKELY to be not much faster than the last generation of 32 bit ARM chips, simply because the code they execute isn't going to be much of anything different.

Unless you cheat a bit and multi-thread two simultaneous 32 bit instructions on your 64 bit ARM chip, effectively doubling your core count and execution speed per core.    Your double core effectively becomes quadcore and your quad core effectively becomes octicore.

Linux took like 3-5 years to get a mass of 64 bit software written, and it is still commented that the old 32 bit software will still run on an old 32 bit machine just about as fast as the new 64 bit version runs on a new machine.

Case in point -- I have an old XP machine that will execute Office 97 software (this was the last 32 bit operating system and last 32 bit Office, BTW) just as fast as a 10 year younger dual core 64 bit Win7 machine will execute Office 2007.   Faster, actually if you compare Explorer 7 on the old machine to Explorer 9 on the new one .....  (yeah, Microsoft and Intel examples of software bloat, I know)

Software bloat in 64 bit land is real and it does eat up all that extra faster memory and processor cycles.    And the work doesn't get done all that much faster accordingly.

========

Hey, how ARE you going to judge when the ARM stuff is "good enough"?

When Apple and Android can do stuff on ARM that Microsoft can't even when run on the latest greatest Intel processor with a just released this week operating system?

Roll Eyes

(watch out, that question is loaded .......)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #32 - 10/23/12 at 19:01:25

I do alot of custom android coding and compiling from scratch, granted that doesn't need the 64bit arch but it does need the raw power to do that in a decent time frame.  When the arm set can match or exceed my current setup in compile time from scratch of 15 to 20 mins for the JellyBean branch I will consider then making my development machine with a Arm powered setup.  Also I do alot of video transcoding that does benefit from the 64bit arch and ARM arch does not even compare there yet in what it takes to transcode video in a reasonable time frame there.  Currently with my 8 core setup I can transcode 1080p video at a rate of 80 to 90 fps and this is just using the CPU as I don't like the quality of the conversions when using Cuda to do the conversion process even though it's quicker.

Now I will agree for a normal Desktop environment that the ARM arch can and will do the job perfectly well and at a much less impact on power then current desktop processors out there in the market.  I may even consider them for replacing my many HTPC's with ARM setups running a Linux variant once they are available to the mass public in a non-apple application.  I may even consider replacing my server with an ARM based solution as it's mainly turned into more of a NAS/Firewall type of server instead of a full blown central login server as well.  That is assuming they come out with drivers that will work with the hardware raid cards that I prefer to use for my large storage arrays.

But as I said in the previous post I am most intrigued by the developments in the ARM arch chip-sets and have been following them with great intrest and see great potential in them in the coming future, just not enough for me to replace my main development stations at this time or the next year or 2, unless something really changes that I have not seen yet.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #33 - 10/23/12 at 19:33:47

I love that answer !!!   It was an ANSWER !!!!

Yup, and CAD guys will probably look to find their favorite flavor of CAD to be able to run on the year 2015 Whatzit at least half again faster than their old stuff.

I'm easy, Athelon 64 at 1.2 gigahertz (clocked down by HP to 1.0 gigahertz output for cooling and reliability reasons).

I can go double the speed of what I got fairly easily fairly soon for about $100 invested, so I am "roll, roll, roll in ze hay" with Terri Garr for all my future computing needs ....  run it on a small phone charger or off a powered USB hub for a power supply.

Cheesy

« Last Edit: 10/24/12 at 23:40:43 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #34 - 10/24/12 at 23:37:33

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/138268-amd-throws-15-of-its-workforce-of...

Aw shite -- I didn't want to read this, but I guess it is a logical progression.  AMD is taking the "if you can't beat them, join them" pathway, but their tech isn't good enough to go where the ARM chips are going nanometer-wise but for one (1) more year.

I am sorry to hear about AMD's potential demise inside the next 2 years.

Sad

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #35 - 10/25/12 at 00:27:51

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 10/24/12 at 23:37:33:
http://www.extremetech.com/computing/138268-amd-throws-15-of-its-workforce-of...

Aw shite -- I didn't want to read this, but I guess it is a logical progression.  AMD is taking the "if you can't beat them, join them" pathway, but their tech isn't good enough to go where the ARM chips are going nanometer-wise but for one (1) more year.

I am sorry to hear about AMD's potential demise inside the next 2 years.

Sad

That is something I definitely didn't want to hear right now.  I despise Intel as their pricing structure is way to high for what you get.  With what I do my AMD counterparts consistently out perform the I7 chips by a good margin.  I'm not much of a gamer which is where the I7 chips really shine over the AMD's in performance compared to the AMD FX line.  If I could afford it I would have already gotten a quad socket G34 board loaded with the AMD 16 core chips for my development and trans-coding machine but alas I'm not made of money nor do I have one of those money trees growing in my yard  :'(

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #36 - 10/25/12 at 20:15:20

Intel does have some right uppity ideas about their newest chips (sold at $999.99 price point for each & every one to the very first super users as "braggin' rights" items)

So what if it takes 4-8 of the latest/greatest 64 bit ARM processors to get the same user performance that the huge water cooled Intel power sucker can do -- you just design a board that has 4-8 little bitty ball solder sockets on it and pop them on there and hit the wave solder tank at a cost of $17.95 for each processor.  

Hells bells, each little 64 bit ARM processor will be smaller than the old memory chips on the old memory cards we used to use .....

Hey, you could have a replaceable/upgradable CPU card .....   easy cheap upgrades for your motherboard !!!!

Don't laugh, somebody beat me to it already.  Here is one with two (2) little bitty ball solder sockets on it.  They ain't 64 bit yet, but the size isn't going to change all that much as they will be sub 20 nanometer when they come out in 64 bit and these are oldstyle 32 bit huge 65 nanometer chipsets.

NOTE:   NO FAN(s)  ....  NO GIANORMOUS POWER SUPPLY

http://liliputing.com/2012/10/this-is-what-the-wandboard-69-freescale-i-mx6-d...

« Last Edit: 10/25/12 at 21:21:27 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #37 - 10/29/12 at 10:05:28

Google rolls out the good stuff ..... dual core A-15 with Mali 604 graphics.

This is 43 nanometer lithograph stuff at 1.7 gigahertz -- it will get better in the spring with 28 nanometer lithography and 2 gigahertz processor speeds and then by next Christmas season the barn door will be open to BIG-little and the quad core stuff.  

Google NOW will get more advanced and  the 6 inch phone/tablet will become more compelling as a "carry with you" personal assistant.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #38 - 10/29/12 at 10:20:28

Speaking of all these little ARM arch SOC computers,  Has anyone messed with one of the Rasberry PI units and tried to make a basic HTPC unit out of one of them.  I was thinking about picking up one of the B models and giving it a go, but was wondering if anyone has had any experience with them yet.  At $35 per unit and it running Linux I can see that little thing being perfect for an xmbc type media center or something similar pulling the vids and such from my network storage share.

R.F.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #39 - 10/29/12 at 10:48:22

They recently upgraded the Raspberry Pi by doubling the systems memory to 512 and overclocking the processor to 1 gigahertz and coming out with drivers to allow using the GPU as a processing resource with full floating point "hard float".

Net result is it doesn't molasses on you so much any more.  It is still SLOW when compared to modern phones and tablets as it is ARMv7 instead of ARMv8 (which is the oldest arm that say Ubuntu supports).  

Buy a Pi and Raspian is all you will ever get for a Linux (Debian with Raspberry Pi customizations).

However the huge fan base and many customizations make the device a good trick for a media center.   The processor is the exact same processor used in the Roku lite box, so it can get the job done, but not killing fast.

Raspian Linux is pretty much cooked now and it will get ongoing support and customization.

The folks at RasberryPi will not talk about future models  (tends to kill off the current model if you do that) but there are a world of dual core $4-$7 processors out there that make the $3 processor they are using now look like a stone slug.

They are also NOT INTERESTED in latest/greatest at all, but want a stable system to allow schools to buy into it for a period of some years at a very low purchase price.  They would add a feature or drop the price rather than modernize the base chipset.

Here is a better unit at the same price, with somewhat similar Linux support.  (don't forget you have to buy a base OS SD card and a power supply and the cables with the Raspberry Pi and all that stuff comes with this bad boy)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MK802-Android-4-0-TV-BOX-Allwinner-1-5GHZ-A10-1GB-DDR...

Just be aware that these sticks tend to change and modernize as soon as a Chinese chip maker puts out a better chip and also be aware that not all Chinese chips have any sort of Linux support from their vendors.  The MK 802 does have a lot of support though as they all use Allwinner's A10 chipset and Miniand forums hold all the needed Linux support for that chipset you can get.

https://www.miniand.com/         gotta like that hackberry board for all the extras like wifi and cat5 and such

Raspberry Pi has more support right now and better software and more programming stuff for it though by a factor of 10.  

This will change soon when Linux kernel 3.77 comes out, then Linaro will have built-in support for all the new ARM chipsets and their Mali graphics systems baked right into the Linux kernel.   Supported from the get go, native.

The Pi won't have this as it falls well before the v8 cut off as a "modern system".   Next year the Pi falls back into Linux obscurity so to speak.

The new ARM stuff will have a world of OS systems available to it, including that semi-aborted Windows 8 RT garbage.

And remember, all the neat new Nexus products from Google have the new A-15 super chip in them and the new Mali 604 graphics, and you can put Ubuntu and Chrome OS on them as we speak.

Notice also that the new Android is pretty neat and is shaping up as a real keeper as a consumption tool.   Dual booting your tablet with a full Linux OS is here now too, so you can have the best of both worlds if you want it.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #40 - 10/29/12 at 14:29:14

Thanks for the recommendation OldFeller.  Both the stick version and the Hackberry look very interesting.  Might just have to pick me up one of each and see how I like them.

Yes I'm well aware of Android O.S.  I do alot of building on that one for my phones and also now on a Nexus 7 tablet that I recently acquired.

R.F.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #41 - 10/31/12 at 14:48:10

Figures,   I finally get the money into my account and they are out of stock on the Hackberry units  :'(

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #42 - 10/31/12 at 15:24:12

http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/14/new-intel-chip-wont-support-linux/

Intel has upped it's game, so now both Microsoft and Intel have drawn their respective lines in the sand.   x86 (Microsoft) or NOTHING.  

Remember, Android is Linux and Apple is Unix/BSD so neither will likely be supported by a chip that won't support Linux.

The ECU will be the first challenge court that the open source people will use to bust Intel's balls over this potential anti-trust litigation.

Microsoft isn't stupid enough to do this, so why is Intel stepping out into the mine field ???

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #43 - 10/31/12 at 15:36:40

I never understood how Intel has survived as long as it has with their over pricing but going so far to now not support anything but MicroSuck, they might as well close up shop.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #44 - 10/31/12 at 16:14:45

Clover Trail hasn't proven to be any form of ARM killer chip set, so why does Intel think this is a good position to take?

Mebbe they want to take the stance now when there IS no threat to anyone on a fairly sucky chip, that way when they uncork the killer diller chipset the precedent is set already.

I guess it doesn't cost them anything to take this stance as nobody is using Intel chips for new Android or new Linux anything lately.   Why spend the time and money to put out anything support-wise?

And Apple just threw Intel to the curbside, so there isn't any conflict there either.

So, why not?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 02:33:30

General CategoryThe Cafe › Cortex A15 is here, Apple and 5 others shipping

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.