Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Cortex A15 is here, Apple and 5 others shipping (Read 742 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Cortex A15 is here, Apple and 5 others shipping
10/19/12 at 11:47:08

Remember the predictions of this change up?

Well, its here.

Let's see how we did.   First of all are the threats from 2 months ago ....

http://www.slashgear.com/intel-apple-threatened-to-dump-us-over-our-greedy-ch...

......  then come the decisions ......

http://semiaccurate.com/2011/05/05/apple-dumps-intel-from-laptop-lines/

Remember please, that Apple IS the 800 pound gorilla in this industry right now.

So, HP has decided again to de-emphasize their PC business and focus on making printers, Apple has dumped Intel from their laptop business (their biggest business, PC & desktop isn't so large at Apple anyway).  

ARM cortex A-15 is making phones and tablets RIGHT NOW that can drop into the desktop role "as is" ....

http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/android

=====================

What is next year like?

Mobile tends to follow the tick tock model like most chip based products.  First year is the "tick" and you introduce your new technology and let it settle into functional maturity.   Next year is the "tock" where you shrink the product using a new smaller nanometer chip building system (refine your manufacturing).  

So, tick is design, tock is optimized manufacturing of that new tech.

The smaller cheapie boys in China are one tick tock cycle behind the big boys.   But they are playing leap frog now and some are catching up every other cycle now.   China as a market is getting larger and larger after all ....

So, where are we?   A-15 is ticked and tock is coming (die shrink from 40 nanometer to 28 nanometer).  Speeds go up, core counts can double "for free" on the same chip real estate when 28 nanometer comes into play.

Intel's "advanced chip design" is failing them, they only are at 22 nanometer and their latest "tri-gate design" isn't yielding any real world advantage to them as their chips still suck too much power.

The next upcoming tick in mobile is A-8 which is a full 64 bit chipset.   Apple will get their hands on it early and go into full production the year before anyone else does (they are in secret production NOW).  This jives with Apple kicking Intel off the island next year as far as mobile and tablets goes.   Apple desktop may or may not go this year ... depending.   Apple may have to wait for the next tock for the 64 bit ARM product to get the performance/core count to exceed Intel's products.

2014's Tock then is a killer for Intel.   From the current 28 nanometer process mobile chips will go to 14 nanometer.   Intel's "state of the art" then will be 12 nanometer with the cumbersome tri-gate technology that is more expensive and slower than ARM's simple quick 14 nanometer technology.  

Intel will have no real technological advantage at that point in time.

2 years from now Intel and AMD will possibly be producing legacy chips for a market that really doesn't exist any more.    Or Intel will have to pull a serious tech breakthrough rabbit out of its hat and put it into production FAST.

Roll Eyes

Change, she comes ......

« Last Edit: 11/01/12 at 10:47:22 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Re: Cortex A15 is here, Apple and 3 others shippin
Reply #1 - 10/19/12 at 14:18:01

I have to say.. as an old DOS > win 3.1 > Win NT.... Win 7 user... nothing stays the same...

WinTel has a firm hold on the good ole USA... but the rest of the world, could not afford to play and so grew thier own. Wintel ignored that.. possibly for too long.  We shall see. Intel boys are not dumb, I suspect they will adapt.

Much of this very much in flux.. all this "cloud" stuff.  Cloud plays VERY WELL into content providers design. What would happen if I-tunes.... just went away. No refunds... no backups.. just poof .. sorry guys! or Nook, or Kindle...

much of the new wave seems to be designed around cloud... and for now the cloud is cool.  This merry-go-round is still moving... I am in the wait and see corner.

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #2 - 10/19/12 at 17:56:13

Pine wrote on 10/19/12 at 14:18:01:
I have to say.. as an old DOS user...

DOS!   You had DOS?   I had binary switches when I first got mine wet (ummm, feet, I mean).    Cool

Quote:
I am in the wait and see corner.

Problem with wait-n-see is you'll never buy anything, cause there's always a new wait-n-see pending.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 10/19/12 at 18:15:04

In the good ol USA a very close minority (just a few months ago it was still a majority) of the PCs still in use right now still use XP.   Like 38% are still XP vs 40% Win7.

http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10

An XP class machine will still keep on running XP (until an evil hacker attack or mebbe MS itself shuts it down through an update "glitch" right after support ends in 2014) and after that the old hardware can be scraped and reformatted to run Linux or Reactos until the cows come home.   The old hardware is sound enough, just slow and it just uses more power than 15-20 ARM devices would use at that point in time.

Actually, there is nothing wrong with my old white box, it runs what I use very much quick enough for me.    In year 2014 I bet there will be lots & lots of better, faster, cheaper stuff to look at though.

=====================

Intel is running out of options fairly fast.   They have yet to show a chipset to successfully compete with ARM in the mobile space (either phone or tablet).   Apple has just kicked them to the curb for laptops and MS can't really help them out there as MS is struggling to exist too.

MS has its last shot at a future with Win8 and it is fumbling that chance at the moment by pointing almost exclusively at Intel x86 chip sets and at the desktop/laptop space.    They talked a good tablet, but at $600 they didn't seem to actually be able to make one that was competitive.

The Win8 for Arm effort is long term faulty as the SOFTWARE MASS to support this totally non-compatible effort isn't there (and nobody seems to be busy writing any massive amounts of new things for the MS Win8 RT system either).

=================

Apple tablets however have a TON of neat stuff written for them, like 2-3 times as much software as Android does for tablets.    Apple is selling just about all of the 10" sized tablets.

Apple  mini-tablet comes out next month ....   price on that mini-tablet will be "category defining" in a lot of ways.

=================

Google's new Nexus 7" tablet however still gets high marks though, because it is a 7" tablet with a very high definition display screen it can display an android phone app in a perfectly sized, very clear and usable fashion.   It doesn't apparently need special apps written strictly for "tablet".

As such, Nexus 7 tablets has a huge mass of good useable phone apps to pull from and isn't seen as "lacking" for software accordingly.

1,000,000 Nexus 7 tablets have been sold already and we aren't even heavy into the Christmas season yet.   Nexus 7 sells for $199.99 but Apple could start out selling their mini-tablet at the same price (or slightly less) just to put a finger in Google's eye and kill their budding market share.

« Last Edit: 10/20/12 at 06:23:48 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 10/19/12 at 19:28:23

I saw computers coming in,, thot to myself

" Im not even gonna try to learn this stuff right now. Ill wait till they get them sorted out & they stop changing every year or so,, "

That train is rollin so fast now,, theres no WAY I could get on board..I dont even want to now. I cant keep up in my own life, doin the stuff I know how to do,,if I need puter help, Ill call a puter doctor.
I DO congratulate those who can do that stuff,, especially those among us who are over 45 years old. Especially considering some of you are not Just puter geek types, youre mechanics, too.. Thats extra cool, enviable & respectable,,
now go away,, ya make me feel inadequater,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #5 - 10/19/12 at 19:46:09

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/19/12 at 19:28:23:
ya make me feel inadequater,,

I know the feeling...  kinda like the first time my new GF in college took me to the nude beach.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 10/19/12 at 22:40:06

360k+ wrote on 10/19/12 at 19:46:09:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/19/12 at 19:28:23:
ya make me feel inadequater,,

I know the feeling...  kinda like the first time my new GF in college took me to the nude beach.

Sooo,, you felt better about it the 2nd time? YOure sayin ya went back here,, you know that, right?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #7 - 10/20/12 at 06:32:13

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/19/12 at 22:40:06:
 Sooo,, you felt better about it the 2nd time? YOure sayin ya went back here,, you know that, right?

Actually, I became a regular after that.

When my GF told me we were going to the nude beach that first time, admittedly, I was a little nervous.  She saw this and took the edge off telling me would be fun, and besides, suits are optional.   So I'm thinking, yeah, she's right; if I don't feel comfortable I'll keep my swim trunks on.   This, of course, is far from the reality I thought it would be.  When we got to the beach we spread our blanket out on the sand, and she promptly slipped off her bikini.   I kept my trunks on until I noticed that the other SEVERAL HUNDRED nude people on the beach were all staring at me, probably wondering WTF is this guy's hangup?  In other words, yes, suits are optional, but I was the only one wearing one - talk about a deer in the headlights!  I was the one out of place, and was forced to ask myself the same question they were.   It is one of those life situations where you alone have to face your own inhibitions, and no one can help you.

In short, that day was one of most profound and meaningful experiences of my life because, trust me, you shed a lot more than just your suit.  The experience is entirely positive and not sexual, as you might think, but more about social declassifying and unburdening.   ...however, I digress

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 10/20/12 at 07:55:50

but more about social declassifying and unburdening.   ...however, I digress

If we didnt digress here, just think of the goofball topics we would never talk about! In normal conversation, it is called Digressing, here, we call it thread creep,.,

Now, for more creeping,
PLease, I am not trying to start a war, I wanna talk about this, because Ive never done that & never known anyone who did, and, I would appreciate a little more time spent on it,

NOw, as for this "Social declassifying" thing,,Doesnt the beach pretty well do that, anyway? Hardly ever see a 3 piece suit on a beach, tho, I gotta admit, its sometimes easy enough to spot someone who Wants to carry the Badges of Social Classification with him everywhere.. The bright colored name brand suit, Skin Divers Rolex, "friends" hauling the cooler & umbrellas & all the "necessities",, but generally, the beach is a pretty level playing field socially,, with regard to Social Status Badges,, at least the ones that can be bought,

So, Now, the less muscular guy is on the lower "social Class" at the beach, BUT, so far, he at least has his Drawz! Now, I gotta admit, I would have been intimidated when I was in my prime. I am a liteweight, I was a roughneck, could swing a hammer & do the job when I weighed 120, I built to 130/135 over the next 5 years, riding a bicycle, thighs were 28 inches, waist was 30, leg press 600 pounds easy enough ( that was all the machine had, so I dont know what max was), neck was big enough that I couldnt stand to button a shirt, the muscles in my arms filled the sleeves tight if I just scratched my nose &, I was given sufficient "Junk" to not be at all ashamed,,okay? BUT,,even with all that goin for me, I Still just couldnt do it. I had the chance, there was a place in Austin called Hippy Hollow where clothing was optional,, a friend & I went, but we stayed dressed &, we didnt stay long.
Ahh, But I digress!

The point I am so poorly ,making is, it seems to me that gettin "Nakee" just trades one set of "Social Classification Badges", the ones that can be bought at the mall, for another set, the ones we are born with & develop either at the gym or just thru an active lifestyle, or,, OR, at the What Uh burger & Malt Shoppe'.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 10/20/12 at 09:23:13

Some of these things,.. I just can't understand.. or, let's say, I don't get the appeal...

Like texting... people frantically typing away, on itsy-bitsy keyboards to communicate,... on a phone?...
"Hey stupid,.. you're holding a phone"... "Talk"...
It's kinda' like having a motorcycle and pushing around instead of riding it...
"Hey stupid,... it has a motor"... "Ride"...
Huh...

... and these i-pads,...  Great,... just add an accessory to hold it upright, and a keyboard, and a mouse device, and a hard drive,... and yippie!... now you can use it to imitate a $200  netbook (which already has a stand, keyboard, touchpad, and hard drive built-in, is just a portable, and cost less than half...

Battery operated car keys... gotta' love that idea... Huh...

In-dash car stereos,.. with remote controls...  Huh...

Next?...  how 'bout an electric, remote controlled, pencil?... Undecided...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #10 - 10/20/12 at 09:50:24

I know what you're saying JOG, but in a way you're kinda making my point.  Nudism isn't really sexual at all, or about comparing your natural assets against others, or anything like that.   In fact, it's almost the opposite because that ego baggage is cast off along with the clothing.    For me, I felt freedom and "oneness" with others in a way that I hadn't experienced before.   It's hard to explain, but it was like flipping a switch.  I previously thot nudists were kinda strange people like...  "why do these people want to run around naked?".  Once I joined the experience, I realized a person's psychological need for clothing and the subsequent inhibitions generated were actually the strange part.  At the extremes, clothing becomes a costume that is worn in an attempt to define (or redefine) character.   Look at all the Harley guys who put on their "bad biker" clothes when they ride on weekends - LOL.  Going to that beach that day forced my own hangups to surface, and overcoming them was gratifying.   Now that's just me, but I have talked to lots of nudists and their experience is similar.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 10/20/12 at 16:50:09

Well,, one thing I hafta agree with,, nudity IS natural,, Heck,, Ill bet most of us were Born naked,,&, IIRC,, theres an old story about some folks who Lived naked for a while,, then, they messed up & became aware of themselves & Felt naked & covered up..
Maybe they shoulda just gone skinny dippin,,

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 10/20/12 at 18:22:22

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/20/12 at 16:50:09:
Heck,, Ill bet most of us were Born naked,...

Pretty sure I was born full ATGATT...  
...may be why I'm an only child... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 10/20/12 at 18:37:37

I knew there would be at least one exception,, Maaan I hope you had a tiny helmet on,,

I wonder if Leno was an ATTGATT baby?

Nightmare,, either way..

A bowling ball with a plow on it,,

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #14 - 10/20/12 at 19:18:13

Man talk about a topic change,  go from ARM processors to nudists   Huh

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 02:36:28

General CategoryThe Cafe › Cortex A15 is here, Apple and 5 others shipping

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.