Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Replace carb with one from another model year? (Read 101 times)
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Replace carb with one from another model year?
10/19/12 at 06:28:14

I have a 2007 S40 which backfires. I've obtained some replacement pilot jets and read, here, the strategies for eliminating backfire. The first, adjusting the idle mix screw, was attempted by the previous owner, who stripped the idle mix screw head. I'm considering buying a used carb on eBay and tinkering with that instead of this already somewhat bunged-up carb. I haven't been able to find a 2007 but did find a 2000. Has the carb changed in the period from 2000 to 2007, or will I be able to modify the older carb, clean it up, and use it? If the answer is, "it's different," what model years will substitute for the 2007, assuming I can't find a 2007?

Also: Any tips on removing the stuck idle mix screw also appreciated, as plan B is to remove and replace it. I'm considering using a small chisel and tapping lightly to see if I can get some purchase on the stripped slot, or drilling a small hole in the screw and using an easy out, but these both seem to have the potential of damaging the threads.

Thanks,
David

- David
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Replace carb with one from another model year?
Reply #1 - 10/19/12 at 07:08:43

There are some differences though out the years, but I suspect that a 2007 and a 2000 are nearly identical.

there has been a lot of noobs that screw up this brass screw.
If you can not get a screw driver to work, take it to a shop.
I would not drill it, easy outs and left handed drills have not been working.

WWW   IP Logged
gdrseeker

Addicted!!

Carson Valley NV
Reply #2 - 10/19/12 at 08:03:35

I think this is an epidemic, and I think it is contagious please isolate your Carb until it is better.  I think others should make sure and vaccinate against this bug before it causes too many casualties.  

Seriously…..  
I had the same issue; the previous owner totally stripped the head of my screw.  I tried to "easy out mine" and totally messed it up.  Someone suggested a machine shop for getting our broken bolts on another issue.  I wonder if a machine shop could do it for you.  I WOULD NOT RECOMEND DOING IT YOURSELF.  

E-bay has them for sale used sometimes, and from what I understand any year will work fine.  

1996 Savage, Jardine, K&N, 145 / 55 jets, 1 turn out at 5000 ft. elevation.
  IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #3 - 10/19/12 at 09:15:10

Any real risk in the gentle tap with a small chisel approach?

- David
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 10/19/12 at 09:43:21

Because of the cost of the thing, I would not recommend going at it half a$$ed.

Craftsman screwdrivers have a serated face for gripping the screw better.  I might take one of these and modify it, grind the tip to sharpen it, half the tip going one way, half the other.  So you could take a hammer and tap it into the screw to bite.  Then apply a lot of force into the screw to keep it engaged while applying torque.  A little pen oil and a lot of prayer.   Undecided

WWW   IP Logged
Doug B

I am, therefore I
think

Kennewick, WA
Reply #5 - 10/19/12 at 12:00:10

when someone has enough experience "turning wrenches"  you develop a "feel"  for things   you can feel a bolt begin to stretch/twist before it snaps off   or certainly the cross threading feel/or the stripping/rounding off feel   it doesn't take much time   just common sense   go slow-and easy   error on the side of caution   better to be safe than sorry   because as in many things in life-there are no 2nd chances    take the advice of those who have been there(or at least consider it)   and if there's some guy who has the mechanical-genius to invent a modified chain tensioner better than the factory    that might be a guy to listen to

IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #6 - 10/19/12 at 18:04:30

If I'm able to get the idle mix screw out, I'm assuming I can probably file a new screwdriver slot and replace it. Does it have any kind of attached spring I have to be careful not to lose? And if I can't get a functional slot in it, what part number should I be looking for to replace it? The blow-up diagrams I've seen of similar carbs on motorcycle parts sites are so poor it's hard to tell what the idle mix screw is, and they identify all screws as "screw."

Thanks again. Screw is soaking in PB Blaster and will tackle it tomorrow, if it stops raining.

- David
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 06:26:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Replace carb with one from another model year?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.