Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anyone own a S&W M&P 15? (Read 144 times)
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Anyone own a S&W M&P 15?
10/17/12 at 08:23:22

Well I've decided to part with my 1955 H&R M1 Garand. So after  researching what they are selling for in very good  condition I figured it couldn't hurt to see what the local gun pawn shop would offer. Cash wise he was a little short, but he did offer a straight up trade for a new S&W M&P 15 with a few extra accessories. Money wise it works out to what I would take for the gun without the hassle of having to sell it on GunBroker or such.  

So I was curious if anyone or anyone's friends have one to weigh in on the M&P 15.  All the web reviews I've read are mixed, but seem to lean to favorable from people who have owned and shot it for any extended time   Smiley

Thanks in advance  Wink  

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Anyone own a S&W M&P 15?
Reply #1 - 10/17/12 at 09:10:16

What were you looking to get for the Garand?
I've always wanted one. Can't afford it now though.

I have a Stag Arms lower and a gunshow garbage upper.

A friend of mine just got a brand new Stag Model 2. They were on sale for $780.00. It is TIGHT. Holy crap is it tight.
I was jealous.

Never been a fan of S&W myself.

--Steve

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 10/17/12 at 10:35:31

Thats all the rage right now, but that .06 will do things that little .223 wont even start to do.

Lots of guys are building their own .223 squirtguns. They get a quality lower & then save up for the next part, until they have it all done. You mite be able to keep your M1 if youre patient, Id hate to see anyone let go of an M1, unless, of course, they were givin it to me,, then theyd be doin a Smart Thing!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #3 - 10/17/12 at 14:14:53

@JOG- It's a great gun in very good condition, but since I've moved to Moorsesville N.C. I've found that there is a lack of open to the public outdoor shooting ranges in this area.  With that said I don't like shooting the 30.06 at indoor 25 yard ranges after being accustom to 100 yard + outdoor shooting, I don't want to join a snooty private shooting club, and I don't feel comfortable shooting the M1 at a friend's land due to proximity issues.  I used to shoot alot with my friends in NY and I just don't shoot alot now, so I'd rather someone who will use and enjoy her own her.

@Paraquat-  H&R mid 50's very good condition M1 Garand CMP reconditioned rifles have been selling for $1,000/$1,200 on various gun sights I frequent. The pawn shop offered me $800 cash or $900 worth of trade. The one rifle that I have been regularly shooting is my Ruger Mini14, so adding another 5.56/.223 makes sense since I buy ammo in bulk anyways. The $800 cash was too low, but the $900 I would consider since I wouldn't have to deal with listing, selling, answering tons of Q's from tire kickers, packing, dealing with an FFL and all the other BS LOL   Wink

« Last Edit: 10/18/12 at 03:12:30 by ToesNose »  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 10/17/12 at 22:31:54

I totally understand. And, I stand by what I said, Smiley  But,, you know my position on things,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 10/18/12 at 06:00:27

Join the Smith and Wesson forums. I'm over there since one of my toys is a pre-WW2 3rd Model .44 Hand Ejector "N" frame revolver. Good place to hang out, there are members from your area, there's a battle rifle sub-forum where your M1 would fit right in... and if you still want to sell it, you'd get true market value out of it.

Just looking for somewhere to shoot it? Road trip! My place is a mile deep...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #6 - 10/18/12 at 19:03:48

First, I would love to have a Garand, but I do have a fine 1873 Springfield .45-70 trapdoor given to me by my Papaw. Yes I know its limitations, so I hunt with an H&R single shot or a NEF--Iforget.

Second, I am not the black rifle type, but a friend's son built one for about $550 and showed it to me. First one I have ever touched. I could build one on a budget and take a year, so that's on my mind.

C. Our local Walmart sent out a circular with a DPMS? 5.56 for about $650..not really sure on the price.

Also I believe you can shoot 5.56 in a .223 but not .223 in a 5.56. Is that right? I think I would like the option to use whatever ammo is cheap/available at the time. Somebody tell me if I'm right. I have about 15 guns including a muzzleloader, just not up to speed on the ARs.   Smiley  And yes, I hear good things about the M&Ps

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #7 - 10/19/12 at 06:46:59

@WD- Thanks I'll check out the S&W forums   Wink

@Boofer- Actually you have it backwards the Nato 5.56 rifles are chambered with a longer throat so that they can accomodate .223 rounds.  Alternately some .223 rifles may be chambered for 5.56 but it's not worth the risk as most .223 aren't meant to fire 5.56.  Cheesy

Besides being Ameican made I also like that S&W have a lifetime guaranty like Ruger. I think after vacation this coming week I'll go and talk to the guys at the pawn shop abit more and see just how sweet of a deal I can work out  Grin

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #8 - 10/19/12 at 07:45:53

www.smithandwessonforums.com is the one I'm on. Different user name, same attitude.  Wink

The link works great, takes you to the intro page, just click on forum to get started. Joining is free. Start off in the new member intro section, tell them I sent you. Scruffy49

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #9 - 10/22/12 at 05:05:24

Boofer wrote on 10/18/12 at 19:03:48:
First, I would love to have a Garand, but I do have a fine 1873 Springfield .45-70 trapdoor given to me by my Papaw. Yes I know its limitations, so I hunt with an H&R single shot or a NEF--Iforget.

Second, I am not the black rifle type, but a friend's son built one for about $550 and showed it to me. First one I have ever touched. I could build one on a budget and take a year, so that's on my mind.

C. Our local Walmart sent out a circular with a DPMS? 5.56 for about $650..not really sure on the price.

Also I believe you can shoot 5.56 in a .223 but not .223 in a 5.56. Is that right? I think I would like the option to use whatever ammo is cheap/available at the time. Somebody tell me if I'm right. I have about 15 guns including a muzzleloader, just not up to speed on the ARs.   Smiley  And yes, I hear good things about the M&Ps

To the best of my understanding, just like 7.62 NATO is a beefed up version of a .308 Winchester,
the 5.56 NATO is a beefed up version of the .223 Remington.

You CAN and will happily shoot a lifetime's supply of .223 in a rifle officially chambered for 5.56 NATO, and you might safely shoot 5.56 NATO in a rifle chambered for .223.

The point is that whereas .308 and .223 were designed to chamber in sporting rifles, predominantly bolt action (hence, reasonably tough) their NATO counterparts have to cycle reliably in respectively the MG42/59 and/or the M12, and the Minimi machine guns.

Now, you will ALL agree there's quite a difference between this

and this

The same applòies in .223 Remington / 5.56 NATO.

And anyway... why oh why do away with a Garand chambered in 30-06? If you MUST do anything about that rifle, have it rechambered for .308.

The shorter throw of the receiver will make for apparently smoother and crisper action, and quite possibly for cheaper ammo too.

But you can't just "throw away" a piece of American history... Undecided I wish I could have opne, but here they sell of $1500 minimum...
Roll Eyes

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #10 - 11/08/12 at 04:10:54

Well after inspecting their inventory and talking with the owner we came to a mutually beneficial deal.  I wound up getting a Stag Arms AR15 model 3 w/ BSA Stealth Tactical optics and a Ruger LC9 which is significantly smaller then my SR9c which makes it more convenient for concealed carry.  I would have loved to keep the M1, but I would much rather it be in the hands of someone who will shoot and appreciate it. And I know I'll shoot the new toys alot more myself  Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 08:30:56

General CategoryThe Cafe › Anyone own a S&W M&P 15?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.