Earthquake (Read 169 times)
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Re: Earthquake
Reply #15 - 10/20/12 at 15:49:19

WD wrote on 10/18/12 at 06:09:41:
You get used to them, I grew up in an earthquake zone, the way Mt St Helens is always rumbling, and Mt Rainier having the occasional belly ache, I got to where I'd sleep through most of them.

Here in west TN we're at the edge of the New Madrid Fault. Lots of mini quakes. Sleep through them too. We're on top of a huge aquifer, ever seen the ground wobble like Jello? It does here sometimes...

Yep, seen the Jello thing, but for a different reason: spring holes out in Dad's meadows. Driving across one with a tractor is like driving across a waterbed. Just sod growing on top of mud soup basically. Grin  And if you fall through, it can be a job to get pulled out of. Tongue  Fun to walk around on though; you can jump up and down and see the ground rippling around you! Cheesy

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Earthquake
Reply #16 - 10/20/12 at 16:17:26

Ive got a spot like that here. My 110 pound daughter can make it wobble after Ive driven over it a few times with the backhoe. I, naturally, didnt know it was there. It looked like most of the low lying areas on that section of the place,, lots of weeds & stuff,, No idea there was such a place, where the water table was so close to the surface. Makes sense, onca ya stop & think about it a while, but it was a real surprise to feel the backhoe sagging low in the rear as I rode across that spot & looked down to see the rear tires crushing the surface down like that. Im just glad the grass & weeds & such & their roots held it all together while I got myself outta there..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 21:28:32

General CategoryThe Cafe › Earthquake

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.