Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
favorite saddlebags (without moving turn lamps)? (Read 117 times)
misterbbq

Acworth, GA
favorite saddlebags (without moving turn lamps)?
10/16/12 at 16:28:50

i'm kinda partial to the looks of the slanted ones....but i'm not 100% sure what i want.  if you have some pics to post that would be great.

i *think* medium slants should fit, especially with a shock cut out.....but again...not sure.

kind of leaning toward http://www.vikingbags.com/Suzuki-Boulevard-S40-Savage-Spear-Shock-Cutout-Bags...:

but was hoping some reviews or recommendations on other bags before i plunk down a couple hundred bones.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: favorite saddlebags (without moving turn lamps
Reply #1 - 10/16/12 at 16:46:06

Do you have a solo seat? How concerned are you with it lookin nice?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
tizzyfit

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/16/12 at 16:54:31

What do you plan on carrying in your bags?  I use my S40 to do mundane tasks like grocery shopping and larger saddle bags are a must for me.  Therefore, the rear directional lights got moved to the license plate support bracket.  If your only concerned about carrying an extra pair of gloves or your lunch, then the bags you've posted should be fine.

IP Logged
misterbbq

Acworth, GA
Reply #3 - 10/16/12 at 16:57:47

should have mentioned.....'05 1 piece seat.

not sure i'm technically capable of moving the lights....and not sure i really want to.

i do want to carry a few groceries....nothing too major.  just quick runs to the store, etc.  right now, i wear a backpack when i need to pick stuff up and may continue to do that.

how does your bike ride with such large bags on it?  

also, i have the stock bag support installed if that makes a difference.  do they actually mount to those bars or are they just a way to keep stuff from getting in the wheels / belt / etc.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #4 - 10/16/12 at 17:17:53

Here is what I have...not sure of the flavor as they were on the bike when I got it. Note that they extend a little far back and you cannot open them fully without hitting the rear turn signals. No biggie for me as I usually just open the front and slip little things in and out, but not a good fit of you use them every day for big stuff.

Contemplated sliding them forward but then they start to lap over the spring and get in the way of the rear pegs if I ever decide to carry someone.

Mine rides great at all speeds, highway, etc. and I notice no effects or noticeable drag at high speeds.

As far as mounting, I have holes drilled through the hard plastic backing of my bags and have 4 zip ties wrapping around the support. Otherwise, the bags will flap in the wind at high speeds if completely empty.  Just my opinion though....there may be reasons not to tie them down, but I operate a little on the safe side and don't want flappage (on my bike or my wife Wink).

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
misterbbq

Acworth, GA
Reply #5 - 10/16/12 at 17:22:39

thanks!

will not be carrying anyone.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 10/16/12 at 17:38:49

I used a backpack on the left side, away from the muffler. A coupla D rings sewed on & some parachute cord, thin (1/8th") plywood to stiffen the back, & a gym bag with D rings sewn on & plywood sewn inside, ( I had an upholstery machine at the time & it would easily sew thru that) & I glued another on the outside, I put a flap on the front that had velcro on it & wrapped around the strap on the seat, but that was overkill. Parachute cord on 4 D rings held it fine. Its long enough to hang over the tail light.
Between the 2 I could haul groceries for 2 for a few days easily. The gym bag folds flat, the backpack comes off to go in the house w/ groceries.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
gdrseeker

Addicted!!

Carson Valley NV
Reply #7 - 10/16/12 at 20:21:01

SD2022Studs      1      Saddlebags 13W x 10H x 5.5D

I ordered from Jafram.com but they don't seem to have them any more.

I forced them between the rear shock and rear signals.  they seem to fit good and tight.

Saddlebags.jpg

1996 Savage, Jardine, K&N, 145 / 55 jets, 1 turn out at 5000 ft. elevation.
  IP Logged
misterbbq

Acworth, GA
Reply #8 - 10/17/12 at 02:33:36

thanks for that!  so 13" seems to be the max width you can....shove on in there.

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 10/17/12 at 06:08:17

I ordered the stock saddlebags when I was young and a dummy.

"Only what was designed to fit on the bike will fit" mindset.
I had to made my own brackets, but they fit nice and have studs on them.
I like the look.

--Steve

IP Logged
misterbbq

Acworth, GA
Reply #10 - 10/17/12 at 20:25:00

the stock ones are a soft-side case are they not?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 04:24:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › favorite saddlebags (without moving turn lamps)?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.