More "Pine" posts (Read 73 times)
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
More "Pine" posts
10/15/12 at 12:09:30

I went to "cruisin' the coast" held yearly in Gulfport MS. Been trying to go since before "katrina". Had a good time. If I did to ladies walking by what I did to the cars that drove by... I would be locked away as a "perv".  

We had to cut it short as my buddie that went with me got called into work ( post office).  I spent saturday morning trying something new. I had complained about the corrosion on the polished AL parts. I decided to see wht i could do. I removed the dust cover over the front sproket and tried polishing off the offend marks with "scotch-brite pad on a detail sander. Just not enough bite, so I moved up to the lighted sandpaper I could find. That got the marks off. I then used two different "strengths" of pads to polish the suface the sandpaper created.
Results: Most noticable is that I could not sand down in the bolt holes so they remain highly polished. Other than that it looks "ok" the marks are gone and there is polish, just not mirror. I then used a can of clear gloss to reseal the new finish. In order to get a finish as good as I did, I used "green metal polish" as bought at the swap-meet on the coast.  It did help, but I would need a finer grit pad or more correctly a buffing pad and rouge.

Totally bored saturday night... and actually it was hot/stuffy. So I climbed on the bike for a 'rare' night ride. Just cruised around mostly, in my tee shirt and jeans. It felt sooo good outside. I finally found myself on the interstate doing 70. Bike did great with the new oil ( T6), new petcock, new gas filter (stone) and carb tune up and valves adjusted. Just so much fun.. When I hit a fog bank every so often.. I would litterly scream with delight as the hairs on my arms stood on end from the brief chill.  

As for the AL.. I dont guess the larger two engine sides will ever get the treatment. With all the contours it would take much better/more equipment than I have to do it justice.  AS for the green stuff.... meh  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: More "Pine" posts
Reply #1 - 10/15/12 at 12:14:31

I used a spray bottle/ water when I did it. The pad loads up & wont do hoot after a few seconds if the corrosion is severe.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 10/16/12 at 03:16:12

Scrubber pad disc for use in a drill makes short work of the initial removal of the corrosion, then go to the Hand Work for the finer work and then polish

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #3 - 10/16/12 at 13:31:07

If you did much riding on US90 you'd best reseal your engine cases. That sugar sand does a great job removing clear coatings. Wish I could have made it this year, maybe next year the color matched car/bike will be there, or the color matched truck/bike.

Have a 3bed, 2 bath "extra" house in Bay St Louis, maybe next year we should try to get a forum mini meet during CtC... or Mardi Gras... or the Gulfport Blowout... or...  Undecided

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 22:25:16

General CategoryThe Cafe › More "Pine" posts

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.