Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
i review some stuff i bought (Read 57 times)
misterbbq

Acworth, GA
i review some stuff i bought
10/15/12 at 09:09:37

originally posted at beginnerbikers.org:

not a writer, but hopes this helps a few other noobs out there:

Icon Device Textile Over Pants

Striking a delicate balance between style, fit and function is no easy task for the modern textile riding pant. The Device pant manages to walk this delicate line while succeeding in every category. A minimalist design speaks of a low-key style perfectly at home on any motorcycle. The relaxed pattern, dual waist adjusters, and ratchet closure fly provide an excellent riding fit. Finally, the textile chassis and full-length inseam zippers combine for both durability and easy on-off. The Device textile pant, the everyman riding pant.

Features:
ICON Overpant fit pattern
Durable textile chassis
Removable / adjustable CE impact protectors
Adjustable waist straps
Ratchet waist closure
Zippered side pockets for secure storage
Inseam zippers for easy on /off

bought them at revzilla and got them pretty quickly. like...3-4 days i think. now, i'm a big fella and took a bit of a chance ordering pants over the interwebs. but my local shops didn't carry sizes up to 48 and had to order them. so i'd kinda be in the same boat except for having to drive them back to the store if they didn't work out. well, they're actually a bit big on me. and fit a little weird. i like a higher waisted trouser and these are very low cut. like....kinda uncomfy about the frank and beans when pulled up waist high. i use them as an overpant....so not a huge deal as my jeans will sit where i like them. i just wear these a bit lower. they also have a zipper in the back that can attach to the zipper on your jacket. if you're dexterous enough (or have someone to help you) to get it zipped. i fail in both regards.....so haven't done that yet. they're also a very long pant. so long, that i have to roll them up a bit to keep them from dragging when i walk. i found out that the lining will melt rather quickly when touched to a hot exhaust pipe. oops.

as far as safety goes, they're textile. i do not know how burn or melt resistant they are. they do have some armor in the knees...but none in the seat or hip. i hope they would 'slide' better than plain jeans by themselves. and the knee pads are designed to fit right around the knee when leg is bent. there is nothing reflective about these black pants. would it have killed icon to put some reflective piping down the leg or something? probably not, but i guess that is what you get for $100 pants?

ratcheted buckle, zippered pockets and inseam zippers make them easy to take on and off if you don't want to wear them around your destination.

overall, i'd rate these:

3 out of 5 turkey legs. probably more like 2.5 turkey legs but i'm too lazy to make 1/2 a turkey leg so i'll give them the benefit of the doubt since i've never owned motorcycle pants before.

----

Tour Master Solution 2.0 WP Boots

Water-repellent leather and PU upper
HiPora® waterproof, breathable membrane
3M ScotchLite™ on rear area for night time safety
VR single density compound sole for reliable grip
Auto lock zipper covered with adjustable Velcro® flap
Leather stretch panels for better comfort and durability
Molded nylon shin and ankle guard backed with shock absorbing material
Shock absorbing latex foam on flex panels
Leather shift pad
TecnoGI® thermoplastic heel cup and toe cap
Preformed orthopedic vibration absorbing foot bed

bought these at my local-ish motostore mountain motorsports in marietta for $119 i do believe. i wear an 11.5 wide shoe typically. these come in wide, but only full sizes (no 11.5, etc.). the 11 wide was a little snug in the toe box for me, so i tried a 12 regular width. that did the trick.

these boots are surprisingly comfortable for being a reasonably stiff motorcycle boot. they have protection in the toe box, a shin guard and some sort of stiff ankle protection inside and out. there is a reflective bit on the heel which is nice. would have liked something on the outside of the boot as well (can you tell i feel more comfortable with reflective bits all over my stuff??), but i guess i can add my own reflective decals or something.

as far as walking around....besides the high part of the boot and the shin guard in the front, you forget you're wearing protective boots. on the bike....i had to get used to the higher toe and was inadvertently putting the bike in neutral shifting to 2nd now and again. once i got used to it, it rarely occurs now. rest assured, when it does happen....there are plenty of folks around to notice and smirk. mostly pretty girls. 'cuz that's how i roll.

in any case, i really like these boots and feel like given my shoe size and foot shape they are just about perfect for my needs. overall, i'd rate these:

hope these help someone in the market for pants and boots!

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Re: i review some stuff i bought
Reply #1 - 10/15/12 at 09:11:16

Thanks for the reviews, any spare turkey legs? It's lunch time   Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 10/15/12 at 09:36:08

Having my foot smashed and twisted awhile ago, I've been looking for added protection over my chippawa tooper boots.  Which are good quality, just no impact resistance.

What I'm looking for is added support to prevent twisting of the lower foot w/respect to the leg.

Also, went to look at some boots at cycle gear and a similar boot with the same type of liner was torn at the stitching.  How do you rate the liner at the top seam?  Cheap foamy stuff or good qual mesh over padding?

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 10/15/12 at 09:45:06

A stop by an upholstery shop with those pants will solve the need to roll them up & Ill bet youd get out for $10.00 cash.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
misterbbq

Acworth, GA
Reply #4 - 10/15/12 at 10:24:30

verslagen1 wrote on 10/15/12 at 09:36:08:
Having my foot smashed and twisted awhile ago, I've been looking for added protection over my chippawa tooper boots.  Which are good quality, just no impact resistance.

What I'm looking for is added support to prevent twisting of the lower foot w/respect to the leg.

Also, went to look at some boots at cycle gear and a similar boot with the same type of liner was torn at the stitching.  How do you rate the liner at the top seam?  Cheap foamy stuff or good qual mesh over padding?

well, i'm guessing this is the cheap, foamy stuff:

but i can't honestly say i've had an issue at that part of any other shoe i've worn.  again....1st motorcycle boot....i was wearing hiking boots prior to getting proper footwear.  so it's all new to me.  i'll keep an eye on this part of the boot and will update as i can.

IP Logged
misterbbq

Acworth, GA
Reply #5 - 10/15/12 at 10:29:17

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/15/12 at 09:45:06:
A stop by an upholstery shop with those pants will solve the need to roll them up & Ill bet youd get out for $10.00 cash.

probably right.  i may put a piece of duct tape or something over it just so it doesn't spread in the meantime.  

i know just when it happened too.  i had my pants rolled up a bit so i could go get some tacos from the taco stand.  came back and sat on the bike to eat my lunch and thought i smelled something funny.  funnier than taco truck tacos anyway.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 14:28:48

General CategoryThe Cafe › i review some stuff i bought

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.