Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How much voltage can a S40 take? (Read 285 times)
ColoS40Girl

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

How much voltage can a S40 take?
10/14/12 at 18:18:30

Hello,

Can you tell me if I can add additional items to the S40 without it dying.  I want to add some speakers, an amp, and the Vipor speedometer . Will I be okay to do so?

Thanks in advance!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: How much voltage can a S40 take?
Reply #1 - 10/14/12 at 18:53:57

Them's watts,.. not volts...

Savage ain't built for a lot of accessories... so, I'd say, not much...
You can gain a few watts by switching to LED running lights...
... and it depends on how long your average commute is...
Vipor speedo pulls nuttin'...  but, audio amps are power suckers...
Earphones or buds will work better, but, to overcome wind noise, you'll be doing hearing damage....
I save the tunes for my car...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #2 - 10/14/12 at 19:19:11

If you use an HID headlight (replacing the standard H4 bulb) and replace the other lights with LED lights, you'll have enough watts to handle what you want.  

Like Serowbot says, your 12v system can only crank out so much amperage.  Volts X amps = watts.  If you want amps for goodies like sound systems, you'll have to save them from somewhere else, like using an HID headlight.  

Unfortunately, the S40 charging system can't handle much more than its stock load.  
-- I put an LED voltmeter on mine temporarily to see what effect it had when I used an electric jacket.  
-- With the jacket switched off, the voltage at cruise (maybe 3000 rpm) is around 13.8 to 14 volts.  
-- With the jacket on, the voltage is about 13 volts.  The battery is just barely being charged.
-- This tells me the charging system is getting fully taxed with just one electric jacket.  If it had any "headroom" it would show no drop in voltage with the jacket on.
-- An HID headlight is in my near future

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
misterbbq

Acworth, GA
Reply #3 - 10/15/12 at 07:19:29

hmm.  so my plan to add a second brake light and a 12v adapter for a gps unit might kill the battery?  didn't realize that.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 10/15/12 at 07:25:57

Your GPS and extra brake light won't draw enough current to make any difference.   Lots of folks have those on the Savage right now.

A speaker amplifier draws more serious power, as does heated clothing.

Let's see, the least item that I remember drawing a Savage down into a discharge state was a complete light bar set with like 4 lights on it.   And the person was able to fix that by changing the bulbs to lower wattage bulbs.

Use search and look for light bars and alternator outputs and you will likely find your calculated amp draw limits for extra stuff.

Whenever we dig it all up again, we need to put the number into the "stuff every newbie should know".

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
mjs3790225

Finally making a
presence!

Orlando, Fl
Reply #5 - 10/15/12 at 07:53:03

+1 On the HID light. 35 watts vs the standard 55/60 is real nice. Way brighter too. I bought a kit used for a car and hacked it up to work on my Savage. I bought a car kit because it gave me twice the parts... so now I have spares of everything  Wink

But yeah, def a great way to free up some electrical room.

1996 LS650 - University of Central Florida

Complete: Raptor, Dyna, Carb rejet, Seat cover, Cam Chain, HID lamp, front pulley, plug leak

MPGs please
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 10/15/12 at 09:15:35

Simple answer, 2 sets of 55/60w headlights, but not 3.

But it also depends upon your use.
Hop on the bike start her up, flip all the lights on, drive 15 minutes to work at 25 mph and you'll have a dead battery within a couple of days, even w/a stock headlight setup.

But, wait till you hit 50 and then flip the extra lights on and a half hour commute and you could be ok.

You just have to realize that peak power doesn't occur till after about 3k rpm's and you need some time at low power draw to charge up the battery.  And once you come down out of the clouds and prepare to land, these accessaries need to be shut off.

WWW   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #7 - 10/15/12 at 12:26:47

i have the uniqcycle sounds (in lakewood i think)amp and an mp3..
amp draws 3 amps = 36 watts insure its connected to a switch lettin it sit even w/o playin will drain the battery..
if i had to do it again id get the classic speakers instead of the slims.
think the have a more powerful amp now

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
ColoS40Girl

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 10/16/12 at 20:06:07

thumperclone wrote on 10/15/12 at 12:26:47:
amp draws 3 amps = 36 watts insure its connected to a switch lettin it sit even w/o playin will drain the battery..

Unicycle is out of Ft Collins.  I have their system on my other bike and want to put it on the S40.  I will look into changing out the lights to LEDs  or just use earbuds.    Undecided

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #9 - 10/16/12 at 21:56:30

ColoS40Girl wrote on 10/16/12 at 20:06:07:
thumperclone wrote on 10/15/12 at 12:26:47:

Unicycle is out of Ft Collins.  I have their system on my other bike and want to put it on the S40.  I will look into changing out the lights to LEDs  or just use earbuds.    Undecided

i didnt have to change any bulbs in fact have added various leds brake,run,front driving,glo underneath..no issues with electric system , btw i replaced the oem battery after 2 winters

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #10 - 10/17/12 at 16:07:57

Word of advice ColoS40Girl,  be careful when you put the magnetic bolt in for the speed sensor for the vapor speedo,  it won't take the torque of the standard rotor bolts and the head will snap off easily,  use some locktite and just get it good and snug.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
ColoS40Girl

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 10/17/12 at 19:55:35

rfw2003 wrote on 10/17/12 at 16:07:57:
Word of advice ColoS40Girl,  be careful when you put the magnetic bolt in for the speed sensor for the vapor speedo,  it won't take the torque of the standard rotor bolts and the head will snap off easily,  use some locktite and just get it good and snug.

R.F.

Okay, I don't understand what you are saying but I will tell my brother in law to read your comment before the installation.  Thanks!

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #12 - 10/17/12 at 20:55:33

ColoS40Girl wrote on 10/17/12 at 19:55:35:
rfw2003 wrote on 10/17/12 at 16:07:57:

R.F.

Okay, I don't understand what you are saying but I will tell my brother in law to read your comment before the installation.  Thanks!

Not to worry, your brother in law will definitely understand once he reads the install instructions and sees my tip as well.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
wernermeister
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spotsylvania Virgina
Reply #13 - 10/18/12 at 15:01:16

ColoS40Girl wrote on 10/14/12 at 18:18:30:
Hello,

Can you tell me if I can add additional items to the S40 without it dying.  I want to add some speakers, an amp, and the Vipor speedometer . Will I be okay to do so?
Thanks in advance!

So, seriously, nobody knows what the alternator of the Savage will put out?
And nobody knows the typical power draw with just lights on and nothing else?

I do not believe any statistic I did not falsify myself.
If all else fails, manipulate the data.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 10/18/12 at 15:49:24

I can only tell you anecdotal evidence.  Hook up what you want and run it.  If your battery goes dead, you're drawing too much.   Grin

verslagen1 wrote on 10/15/12 at 09:15:35:
Simple answer, 2 sets of 55/60w headlights, but not 3.

But it also depends upon your use.
Hop on the bike start her up, flip all the lights on, drive 15 minutes to work at 25 mph and you'll have a dead battery within a couple of days, even w/a stock headlight setup.

But, wait till you hit 50 and then flip the extra lights on and a half hour commute and you could be ok.

You just have to realize that peak power doesn't occur till after about 3k rpm's and you need some time at low power draw to charge up the battery.  And once you come down out of the clouds and prepare to land, these accessaries need to be shut off.

This may be the best way to tell if your equipment draws too much.  Hook it up and go fer a ride... a short one.
Gyrobob wrote on 10/14/12 at 19:19:11:
-- I put an LED voltmeter on mine temporarily to see what effect it had when I used an electric jacket.  
-- With the jacket switched off, the voltage at cruise (maybe 3000 rpm) is around 13.8 to 14 volts.  
-- With the jacket on, the voltage is about 13 volts.  The battery is just barely being charged.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 08:23:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How much voltage can a S40 take?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.