Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fuel observation/question (Read 102 times)
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Fuel observation/question
10/14/12 at 17:18:30

I understand 87 octane is all I need for my bike. I understand E10 is poop. What I don't understand is why when I run 89 octane pure gas the backfire at shutdown is substantially reduced. It also idles better and has less shift pops. This is compared to E10 87, 89 and pure 87 octane. Why is this happening?

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
tizzyfit

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Fuel observation/question
Reply #1 - 10/14/12 at 18:20:13

Greg, I wish I could offer something meaningful.  I ran 5 tank fulls of regular gas, NO ethanol, and got the same gas mileage as well as the same backfire, farting, etc as I do with the 10% ethanol crap.  All it says to me is, these engines will burn just about anything and provide a degree of reliability in the process.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 10/14/12 at 18:45:34

Octane increase increases the temperature required to ignite the fuel.

Your engine don't need or want it... but maybe the temps in the pipe aren't enough to cause ignition of unspent high-octane gas...
Thus,.. less pops...
Alternatively,... the slower ignition rate of the high-octane fuel, may be sending more unspent fuel down the pipe, resulting in a cooler pipe...
... or.. a bit of both...
... or not... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #3 - 10/14/12 at 19:23:06

Here in Central Nebraska, we don't usually have all those choices. The 87 octane is usually the "pure gasoline" and usually goes for 10 to 20 cents more per gallon. The 89 octane is the E-10, and is the bigger seller because it is a few cents less expensive. I have run both, and tried to keep at least a few notes. But I cannot tell any difference in anything I own or have owned for at least the last ten years in terms of mileage or anything else. For the last year or two I have been tagging my fuel purchases on Fuelly with "E-10" when I am reasonably sure that is what I purchased. Sometimes I don't know, as some pumps are just marked with something like "May contain up to 10% ethanol." Just remember, if you try to derive something from my Fuelly tags, the "E-10" tag applies to the present fill-up, but the mileage is from the last one.

By the way, I have NEVER been able to see any damage or deterioration in any fuel system parts which I can attribute to ethanol. And I have been using it for over thirty years.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #4 - 10/14/12 at 19:34:51

The main damage from ethanol is the harm to the economy.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #5 - 10/14/12 at 19:56:37

Gyrobob wrote on 10/14/12 at 19:34:51:
The main damage from ethanol is the harm to the economy.

I was trying to avoid that discussion, as I have rather mixed feelings about it. Bear in mind I live in Nebraska, where a lot of corn is grown. The current drought is having its effect on corn availability and prices, with resultant effects on ethanol plants and cattle feeding operations. A good time is being had by all.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
07s40scotty

If it doesn't kill
you- it makes you
stronger

TN
Reply #6 - 10/14/12 at 21:01:22

Serowbot wrote on 10/14/12 at 18:45:34:
Octane increase increases the temperature required to ignite the fuel.

Your engine don't need or want it... but maybe the temps in the pipe aren't enough to cause ignition of unspent high-octane gas...
Thus,.. less pops...
Alternatively,... the slower ignition rate of the high-octane fuel, may be sending more unspent fuel down the pipe, resulting in a cooler pipe...
... or.. a bit of both...
... or not... Huh...

You....... rock man! That right there is profound. You answered like 5 questions that I've been wondering about & made me laugh at the same time  Cheesy

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 08:29:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fuel observation/question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.