155 main jet, no start (Read 172 times)
zer0sk8ordie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Riverside, CA
155 main jet, no start
10/14/12 at 13:39:09

I got my lancer jet set, changed the main jet to a 155 and I took the spacer out on the slide needle. The bike started for about 5 seconds really rough, then died. Now it won't start at all. I messed with the mix screw but still nothing. Only mods done are k&n cone filter, and I drilled holes in my baffle. Any help or tips would be great. Thanks

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: 155 main jet, no start
Reply #1 - 10/14/12 at 15:25:58

Did it run before the mod? then put it back and check it.  maybe you screwed something up.

Next do one mod at a time.  start with the jet.  since you put in a 155, you musta started with a 145, try a 150 first.

WWW   IP Logged
zer0sk8ordie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Riverside, CA
Reply #2 - 10/14/12 at 16:40:03

verslagen1 wrote on 10/14/12 at 15:25:58:
Did it run before the mod? then put it back and check it.  maybe you screwed something up.

Next do one mod at a time.  start with the jet.  since you put in a 155, you musta started with a 145, try a 150 first.

Yes it ran fine. It was completely stock before though. I will try a smaller main jet. Is it possible to screw that small plate thing in wrong when taking the spacer out on the slide neede?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 10/14/12 at 16:53:18

Yes it ran fine.

Soooo,, whats the reason for messin with it?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
zer0sk8ordie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Riverside, CA
Reply #4 - 10/14/12 at 16:56:17

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/14/12 at 16:53:18:
Yes it ran fine.

Soooo,, whats the reason for messin with it?

Well I took it apart to paint it and decided to get a cone filter, then reading on here they say to change the jets..

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #5 - 10/14/12 at 17:00:30

You did replace the washer under the jet, right?

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
zer0sk8ordie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Riverside, CA
Reply #6 - 10/14/12 at 17:02:17

arteacher wrote on 10/14/12 at 17:00:30:

Replace? No I didn't notice a washer under the stock jet..

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #7 - 10/14/12 at 17:02:48

zer0sk8ordie wrote on 10/14/12 at 16:40:03:

Yes it ran fine. It was completely stock before though. I will try a smaller main jet. Is it possible to screw that small plate thing in wrong when taking the spacer out on the slide neede?

Yes it is. If you put it in upside down you don't have the holes you need for air to get over the slide.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
zer0sk8ordie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Riverside, CA
Reply #8 - 10/14/12 at 17:05:55

arteacher wrote on 10/14/12 at 17:02:48:
zer0sk8ordie wrote on 10/14/12 at 16:40:03:

Yes it is. If you put it in upside down you don't have the holes you need for air to get under the slide.

Ok I'll try it again. yea looking at it, it looked like it was blocking the small holes

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #9 - 10/14/12 at 17:09:24

zer0sk8ordie wrote on 10/14/12 at 17:02:17:
arteacher wrote on 10/14/12 at 17:00:30:

Replace? No I didn't notice a washer under the stock jet..

It may not have come out when you removed the jet,(lucky you) or more likely it did and you didn't notice it (not so lucky). You will have to go back in and check these things, and Versey is right, with minimal mods a 150 should do you fine.

IP Logged
zer0sk8ordie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Riverside, CA
Reply #10 - 10/14/12 at 18:10:51

Ok I put a 150 main jet and it did have the washer, i added a washer to the slide needle and still get the same. Like it wants to start but just won't. My next question would be the 2 hoses on each side of the carb. Those are just breathers correct? I don't have them connected to anything.

IP Logged
07s40scotty

If it doesn't kill
you- it makes you
stronger

TN
Reply #11 - 10/14/12 at 20:19:27

You didn't give alot of info... But this may help.
It may seem like a silly thing to say but did you prime the carb by turning the petcock to prime for a few seconds? Is the hose to the back of the petcock on tight & the fuel line on proper like?

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1098869040

I'm no moto genious but I've had my carb off 6 times since may- messin with 1 thing or another... the tech section holds the key from the great folks here who know what they're doing  Smiley I'm assumeing you took the carb off the bike since you were working on the bottem & top of the carb & went to a cone filter. KISS comes to mind in this case. Changeing your main jet probably isn't the problem- if thats all you did on the bottem of the carb (It'll run like crap- but it'll run). Your worries are probably on top. Is there a washer under the-clip on the needle? Is the small spring under the washer? Is the dimple down on the disk that holds it all in place & can you see that the two holes are about half covered? Is the diaphram under the top cover in right fitting into the tab before you screw it down?

IP Logged
MiCTLaN

O_o

Winter Haven, FL
Reply #12 - 10/14/12 at 20:30:47

In the same vein of the 07s40scotty's post.. I just had mine apart to do the spacer mod and realized I had dropped the spring at some point, and after putting the first screw in the disk realized that I had the disk in wrong.

Did you clean up the carb with carb cleaner while you had it apart?  I understand getting carb cleaner on the main diaphragm and TEV diaphragm will damage them.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 10/15/12 at 12:52:39

The solution is simple, if you make a mod and it don't run after... return it to the previous condition to verify you didn't make an unintentional change... left out a spring, misplaced a washer, etc.

Note: going from a 145 to a 155 and removing the white spacer is a major change.  Always adjust the main jet 1st w/o spacer change.  Once you get the top end and the bottom end to where you're happy, then adjust the spacer.

WWW   IP Logged
zer0sk8ordie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Riverside, CA
Reply #14 - 10/15/12 at 18:38:34

07s40scotty wrote on 10/14/12 at 20:19:27:
You didn't give alot of info... But this may help.
It may seem like a silly thing to say but did you prime the carb by turning the petcock to prime for a few seconds? Is the hose to the back of the petcock on tight & the fuel line on proper like?

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1098869040

I'm no moto genious but I've had my carb off 6 times since may- messin with 1 thing or another... the tech section holds the key from the great folks here who know what they're doing  Smiley I'm assumeing you took the carb off the bike since you were working on the bottem & top of the carb & went to a cone filter. KISS comes to mind in this case. Changeing your main jet probably isn't the problem- if thats all you did on the bottem of the carb (It'll run like crap- but it'll run). Your worries are probably on top. Is there a washer under the-clip on the needle? Is the small spring under the washer? Is the dimple down on the disk that holds it all in place & can you see that the two holes are about half covered? Is the diaphram under the top cover in right fitting into the tab before you screw it down?

The two holes should be half covered? I put it so they are totally uncovered. I will pull the carb again and try it how you described. Thanks

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:17:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 155 main jet, no start

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.