Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
moving footpegs to standard upright posture? (Read 549 times)
strang

london
moving footpegs to standard upright posture?
10/14/12 at 03:59:17

I am in the market for a savage and had a question before i hand over some greens for one this weekend.
I test rode one close to me yesterday and I like the bike in every way except I'm not completely in love with the extended feet/slightly chopper riding position. Is there an easy and cheap way to move the gear adjuster and back brake pedal back to standard triumph naked bike position? I've seen you can change out the seat pretty easy to a sportster and just wondered if you can move the pegs easily? don't want rearsets as that creates another lot of ergonomic troubles for an old geezer like me  Cool
any solutions?

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: moving footpegs to standard upright posture?
Reply #1 - 10/14/12 at 06:08:51

I don't like the feet forward position either.  I feel less in control when things get sporty.  It is also a lot less comfortable on long trips, although I'll admit this bike is not aimed at goldwing-type duty,... especially the RYCA modded bikes.

Speaking of RYCA, the rearset food peg system in that kit (which you can purchase by itself) is not actually a "rearset" but more of a "midset" where the pegs are located more like the Norton Atlases and Ducati Monzas I grew up on in the 60s.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #2 - 10/14/12 at 10:46:59

ok bob that's helpful - thanks
looked at the prices though and it's at least $400 + shipping!
I can weld a bit and might have a go at making something - anyone got an example of home made for inspiration?

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #3 - 10/14/12 at 11:12:49

Yes, the cost is a factor,.. and sometimes I am inclined to weld and shape something like that for myself as well.  See reply #121 in http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1304722902/120

I don't know how you do things, but one of my problems about sculpting stuff is that it takes way longer than it would take a place like Dime City Cycles.  So,.. these days (age 65) I have started to actually take into account how much my time is worth.  
-- I don't have unlimited time.  It would probably take me 40 hours to go from start to finish on the creation of set of midset foot pegs and controls.
-- I'd probably spend a $100 on acetylene, oxygen, rod, parts, metal stock, etc.  
-- I'd save $300 over buying the top-o-the-line stuff from RYCA or some other supplier.
-- I doubt what I would cobble up would work as well as the RYCA stuff,.. which does work really well, and it looks cool too.

So, comparing the two situations:
-- Make my own.  I'd have the satisfaction of completing the project.  I'd save $300.  I'd use/lose 40 hours of my life I could have spent on something else,.. like riding the bike.  In effect, I would have earned $7.50 an hour for my time and missed out on whatever else I would have done with that 40 hours.
-- Spend $400 on a hi-zoot set of alloy footpegs and controls crafted specifically for this bike.  Install in 45 minutes.  Bling up the bike some.  No problems with fitment or adjustment.  Probably save a pound or two of weight over the steel things I would have made.  Lasts a long time and doesn't rust.  I wouldn't have earned anything for the work done on the bike, but I can afford to piss away 45 minutes.

Anyway, I feel my time is worth something now.  I'm not always going to jump in with both feet and start building stuff just to save a few bucks,... or even a lot of bucks if it means I'll have to spend a LOT of time on it.

IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #4 - 10/15/12 at 14:20:19

yeh bob I hear ya - done many a money saving project that wasn't  Roll Eyes
ryca kit does look very nice. Can I keep the stock mudguard with their setup?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 10/15/12 at 21:42:19

Can I keep the stock mudguard with their setup?

Yes, but it only blocks stock mud, custom mud flies right on by.,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #6 - 10/16/12 at 01:14:10

bollocks
I meant keep the stock exhaust?  Smiley

« Last Edit: 10/16/12 at 03:36:58 by strang »  
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #7 - 10/16/12 at 04:34:11

strang wrote on 10/15/12 at 14:20:19:
yeh bob I hear ya - done many a money saving project that wasn't  Roll Eyes
ryca kit does look very nice. Can I keep the stock mudguard with their setup?

I hear you, about the money saving that wasn't, and for me, those "projects" don't include the time I invested.  I am starting to figure my time into these deals.  
-- Is it worth it to use ten hours to make something in order to save $50?  I'm worth more than $5/hr.  
-- I'll admit, though, some of these projects are fun, so a cost for my time doesn't enter in to it.  

For repair or maintenance work, though, I am starting to pay other folks to do it.  
-- I don't trim the trees and shrubs anymore,.. it is worth it to me to spend a $100 and not have to toil out in the yard for an afternoon when it robs me of time I could use on motorcycles or gyrocopters.  
-- I don't even change the tires on the FJR-1300 anymore.  That is an unfun job, and I found a guy who does really good work and charges $25 a tire change if you buy the tire from him,... $30 otherwise.  He has not yet put a scratch on those $zillion wheels.  I don't know if I could say that if I were doing the work.

I like JOG's comment about stock vs custom mud.

I don't know about the stock exhaust, though.  I'm not near the bike at the moment.  Casey at RYCA would know.

IP Logged
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 10/16/12 at 05:11:05

I am in the process of adding a set of pegs midship and keeping the standard controls where they are. I did this with my vulcan and it makes a hugh difference having someplace extra to put your feet and it takes the pressure off your arse as well.

I changed the ape hanger stock bars to drags with a 1 inch riser that  made a big change in arse comfort, all your weight is no longer on the tailbone. One other change i cut the seat to remove the curve its now almost flat....thinner but WAY more comfortable. This bike has terrible ergos and needs several mods...for old guys anyway.

IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #9 - 10/16/12 at 06:39:05

Drifter: got any pics of the work in progress and your thinking/solving the ensuing issues?

IP Logged
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 10/16/12 at 07:50:17

Nothing yet, i ordered some rear pegs off a kaw 440, plan to mount them with some custom brackets. When they arrive and i get that project moving i will post some pics. The idea is formulated just waiting on the pegs.

IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #11 - 10/16/12 at 13:35:42

would using a standard type gear changer (xs650 say), welding a bracket onto the frame for a pedal work or are there issues with the way the changer sprocket comes out of the savage engine?
ryca rearsets looks great but i just want standard position pegs if possible.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #12 - 10/16/12 at 17:20:50

The shifter shaft coming out of the transmission isn't very robust on a savage. I was thinking about setting up a heel/toe shifter at one time but was worried that the shaft couldn't take the extra abuse from such a setup. It would of been an easy conversion, I have a heel toe shifter from a '60 Ducati Monza, it would of been almost a direct bolt on. A short linkage would be the way to go to keep the rider's weight off the splined shifter shaft. I haven't checked out the Ryca setup yet, it would be a case of monkey see, monkey want Cheesy
 Sometimes it is better to just pay the guy who know how to do the job instead of trying it yourself. I don't even change the oil in  my truck anymore, it's just easier to pay for it.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 10/17/12 at 11:54:02

I am not sure about adding a set of mid (rear) sets on the Savage with the stock seat.  Seems to me that with the stock seat being so low, it would be very uncomfortable to have your feet on Ryca or similar footpegs.  All the cruisers with low seats push your feet out front to give you some leg room.......not underneath you.  Isn't the RYCA seat raised up considerably higher than the stock Savage seat?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #14 - 10/17/12 at 14:28:11

the ryca would be easy and it looks quality but i found this pick of the rearsets in action and it's just not the stance I'm looking for:
http://www.motorcycle.com/gallery/gallery.php/v/main/reviews/ryca-cs1-review/...
older I get the more standard bike ergos I crave  Wink

This guy has it sorted but I can't find out who the bike belongs to:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8204489@N05/492515984/lightbox/

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 04:07:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › moving footpegs to standard upright posture?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.