Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Messed up my bike today.  Looking for advice. (Read 285 times)
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Re: Messed up my bike today.  Looking for advice.
Reply #15 - 10/12/12 at 19:38:44

Savage_Rob wrote on 10/12/12 at 15:52:41:
Yeah, with the luck of the symmetry you could just drill it and add a hood ornament.

Good idea.. just find a small, tasteful fender ornament.  But glue it on so you don't have to drill and run the risk of popping your tire.  Grin

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 10/12/12 at 19:54:17

Bobble head/Hula Girl/ team mascot,, whatever,, just slip something up there so the drill bit cant get the tire & wrap tape on the bit so it cant grab & suck the chuck down on the fender if you use a short bit.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Blue04Savage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 10/12/12 at 21:00:10

lol Alright, well no offense to anyone, but i'm not retarded enough to drill on a fender without taking it off the bike first.  I actually just took the fender off, taped off the area, and pounded the dent out from underneath.  It's pretty much good to go right now, just needs a couple more taps, and a dab of touchup paint.

Since my bike has been de-badged, I was thinking about putting a couple of decals on it.  I wasn't going to, but I might put one over this ding (since it happened), and there were a couple I found that might look cool on the sides of the tank.

This is the decal i'm thinking about for the sides of the tank.  What do you guys think?  It would give it a little character, and if it looks like crap, I can take it off later.  Just gotta find something cool for the fender ding to cover up the touchup paint that i'm sure won't be an exact match.  At least the ding is in the back of the fender (not that I couldn't just flip it around for a front decal cover up).

https://www.westonsigns.com/product.php?productid=1891&cat=252&page=1

arteacher:  Thanks for the detailed write up on how to fix it.  That is just well beyond my abilities, but i'm sure it would turn out much better.

Thanks for the thoughts/ideas.

The problem with the fender ornament idea is that it's actually noticeably off center.  Otherwise.....might be cool.

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #18 - 10/12/12 at 21:56:59

Blue04Savage wrote on 10/12/12 at 21:00:10:
lol Alright, well no offense to anyone, but i'm not retarded enough to drill on a fender without taking it off the bike first. .

Says the guy who dropped an axe on his ride?    Cheesy

JK Blue!!!!!!!!!   Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
misterbbq

Acworth, GA
Reply #19 - 10/12/12 at 22:09:04

lol

IP Logged
Blue04Savage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 10/12/12 at 22:57:47

lol   Tongue  Difference between an accident, and a retard I guess.
The funny thing about it is that i'm always super anal about making sure my bike is "out of harms way", except for today. lol  Oh well.  F*ck it.

ToesNose wrote on 10/12/12 at 21:56:59:
Blue04Savage wrote on 10/12/12 at 21:00:10:
lol Alright, well no offense to anyone, but i'm not retarded enough to drill on a fender without taking it off the bike first. .

Says the guy who dropped an axe on his ride?    Cheesy

JK Blue!!!!!!!!!   Wink

IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #21 - 10/12/12 at 22:58:31

Could always pull a Chrome fender off a 70s/80s Japanese bike that would  fit. They were popular on Sport bikes back then and you wouldn't have to worry about matching since it's neutral. I think they are a few Fenders from older bikes that will bolt on. I saw someone put a chrome filter on a Yellow Savage on here that bolted right on for little cost and hassle... can't remember the user's name though.

An example.

http://www.suzukicycles.org/photos/suzuki-history/1977/1977_GS550_450.jpg

IP Logged
07s40scotty

If it doesn't kill
you- it makes you
stronger

TN
Reply #22 - 10/12/12 at 23:15:57

Yeah shouldn't be too hard to fix.

As far as the retard reference... I don't know. They tend to be pretty careful around things; especially if something is impertant to them. And I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't pick on anyone-smart or otherwise when they make a mistake. Just sayin

IP Logged
RadioRider
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 10/13/12 at 07:44:38

Friend of mine got a little ding on his tank...found an SPider's Web sticker, very small and stuck it on there with the spider in the ding and it was very hard to notice.

Might be time for some pin stripes.  Nothin fancy, one or two right down the middle.

Also a place on-line called twisted chrome.  He does pin stripe stuff that is easy to apply, you might find something from him.  I used one of his designs to fancy up a large cruiser fairing.  Looks good and it's a pretty interesting concept.

IP Logged
Blue04Savage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 10/13/12 at 12:00:58

I think you may have missed the point of my comment.  I was saying dropping something on a bike is an accident.  Where as doing something like drilling a hole in your fender, with it still on the bike, (obvious potential for trouble there) would fall under the catagory of being stupid or retarded.  Or if you want to be more politically correct, it would be the action of someone who was of lower intelligence, and slow wit.   10/4?

07s40scotty wrote on 10/12/12 at 23:15:57:
Yeah shouldn't be too hard to fix.

As far as the retard reference... I don't know. They tend to be pretty careful around things; especially if something is impertant to them. And I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't pick on anyone-smart or otherwise when they make a mistake. Just sayin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #25 - 10/13/12 at 20:05:51

Theres nothing wrong with drilling  a fender on the bike,, drilling w/o taking proper precautions? Well,, thats not bright,

Heck,, ANYbody can drop an axe on one,, happens all the time,, somewhere,, Im sure,, Heck,, why, Ill bet even Smart people do it,,

Smiley I am Sooo MEAN!!  Dude,, Im sorry ya bunged your ride up. I know it looks huge right now, but, in a year or so, it wont twist your guts up when ya look at it, at least, not as bad.. I parked mine, pointed downhill, In Neutral,, & as I was turning to walk away, I saw it move & I JUmped at it & got a leg under it & dented the tank w/ my knee.. Had I just let it fall, I would messed up a mirror & a light,, easy fix stuff,, Only took about a year to not wanna puke every time I looked at that,,
It really sux messin up your bike,, I know,,
My advice? Dont get in a hurry to "Fix It".. let it be a while. A good, clean answer will come to you. If you decide you want to work on the ding, PM me. I used to do body work. I can help you smooth it up & maybe not even need more than a touch up. A ride to a body shop, a 6 pack for a painter & you may be in bidniss, after you work the dent. Dont try it w/o talking to someone who has done it, tho. Simple as it looks, technique is key to success,..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
dmj13

Enthusiastic Amateur

San Antonio, TX
Reply #26 - 10/13/12 at 22:49:44

I say take the fender off, bang it out, bondo it if need be, then PLASTIDIP it. Black and blue would look alright! Fitting, almost...

2009 S40: Lancer Jet Kit with 55 pilot, 152.5 main, 1 washers/Uni foam filter/ Jardine exhaust
  IP Logged
J C Stokes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 10/13/12 at 23:07:17

If you doubt your panel beating abilities, you could sand the damaged area and bondo the whole dent. I feel you have little to lose by adopting Art Teachers suggestions. As far as the paint goes, there are firms who can analyse the paint with a spectrometer type thingy and make up paint which is a perfect match. I wouldn't drill holes, they're not stock.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #28 - 10/13/12 at 23:53:49

Any dent will cost around $200 to fix because of the labor involved. As stated the people who supply paint to body shops can scan the color like paint stores do to match the color. When I worked at a body shop we called this color "loser blue", meaning it was hard to match. I would buy a little body filler and fill it in. Then you can take sandpaper in progressively finer grits to sand it down. With that curve it will be easy to match the curve of the metal by cupping your hand as you sand. Also you can sand by acting like you're shining shoes. Then go to a body man and ask him if it is good enough to paint. Remember the primer not only makes new paint stay it also fills small imperfections. Doing the hard work yourself will lower the cost and you'll get a job you can live with. hth    

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 14:27:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Messed up my bike today.  Looking for advice.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.