serious shake (Read 175 times)
07s40scotty

If it doesn't kill
you- it makes you
stronger

TN
serious shake
10/11/12 at 21:14:00

My 2007 (15,700mi on it) has developed a shake in the front end at 63mphish... It had it when I purchased the bike in May so I thought it was the tires (they were pretty rough, so I had them replaced larger than stock) the dealer said it wasnt the tires it was something to do with the bearings I think. They tightened them?or something- & the feeling like I was behind a semi(even when alone on the road)was gone.
The shake is back! How can I fix this myself??? I've but 4000 miles (half on a 2000 mi trip to NY) on it since they did what ever they did. Any help would be apprecieated.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Re: serious shake
Reply #1 - 10/11/12 at 21:25:47

Warped rotor, wheel bearings, loose spokes, low air pressure, bad fork, triple tree bearings. Was it ever wrecked? I don't know. Ask the guys who fixed it what they did. My not be too serious. Could be harder to find than to fix. Get the front wheel in the air and wiggle, jiggle, spin tire, grab tire and yank it up and down and side to side and listen. Good luck.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #2 - 10/11/12 at 21:35:14

What kind of shake?

Why larger than stock tires?

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 10/11/12 at 22:19:01

Bike in Neutral

Get rolling on cement

apply front brake,

Thump then stop?

Bearings.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
J C Stokes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 10/11/12 at 23:18:17

I would also ask, why larger than stock front tyre? what sort of balance weights were used when the tyre was changed? Lead wrapped round a spoke, or stick to the rim type, or something put in the tube?

IP Logged
grandpa

Old but not cold!!!

Bartlett TN
Reply #5 - 10/12/12 at 01:53:30

I went to a 110/90 front tire for for the old school look. Much better on my freeway commute. Does not follow grooves and uneven pavement near as bad. My bike has a tendency for the front spokes to loosen and cause a vibration. I need to get a torque wrench for the spokes. I am to afraid that I will over tighten and strip one. I glued a nail on the end of a yardstick and a clamp to make a cheap dial indicator to tighten and true the front tire appx once a year. Just take your time and the vibration will go away. Have never had to tighten a rear spoke

Blue '06, seat mod, K&N drop-in filter, desnorkeled, 55 pilot, 152.5 main, 1/3 spacer, dyna muff, factory bug shield, 11.5 Progressive rear shocks, debadged, fork boots, 110/90-19, 140/90-15
grandpa   IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #6 - 10/12/12 at 01:58:46

Right around 60mph seems to be the magic number for an off-balance wheel shudder no matter what vehicle you're driving so make sure your wheels are true and balanced first. If you've lost a wheel weight, that will be a cause for this.

If it's a tank-slapper shake (bars feel like they're twisting back-n-forth and feels like you're gonna get thrown from the bike) that could be a million things but it usually only happens on bikes with low rake angles like sport-bikes or cafe-racers with lowered front ends and raised rears so I'm doubting it's this.

IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #7 - 10/12/12 at 07:37:45

I also have a 110/90 on front of my '07, but that's just because i thought i didn't need to double check the size before ordering Grin

never had any problem w/ shaking

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 10/12/12 at 11:21:33

Question:

Do your handle bars sit square to the bike when you are running at speed (with your hands off the grips but hovering right over them).

Reason for this question is that I too have had the shudders at 65-70 mph which were caused by the back tire being out of alignment.  I realized it when I noted the bars weren't square to the bike (front tire was aligning to the rear tire as road forces will always force it to do and the rear tire was off kilter).

To straighten the front required me to re-align the rear tire using the adjustment marks.

I agree with the "common knowledge" that the tick marks on the swing arm are not accurate, but once you know how far your bike's offset is they are good tools after that.

A correctly adjusted rear tire results in the ability to take your hands off the handle bars and have the bike track straight without you having to lean your body to make it work.  

The handle bars should be square to the body of the bike.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 10/12/12 at 11:32:39

Scotty,..  I notice the shake came and went pre and post summer...
At higher speeds,.. wind can catch your jacket arms and shoulders, causing buffeting that transfers to a wheel wobble...

Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #10 - 10/12/12 at 15:55:05

Sounds like an oscillation feedback loop to me.   It has to do with the front end geometry (rake, caster, etc.) and speed.  Some bikes are worse than others.   I think the Savage front end design is pretty stable, or otherwise there would be a lot more complaints on here.   I've had bikes where you couldn't let go of the handlebars at highway speeds (your hands dampen the oscillations).  One thing that comes to mind is the steering column bearings, and/or cracks either in the frame or gussets around that area.   Also someone asked if the bike has ever been in a wreck, especially running into something.   This could definitely tweak the geometry.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
07s40scotty

If it doesn't kill
you- it makes you
stronger

TN
Reply #11 - 10/12/12 at 17:34:36

Thanks all! I wasnt clear on the tire thing tho - the rear is larger than its supposed to be. The shake is side to side kinda like the buffering u get behind a big truck. The bike hasnt been in a wreck that I know of... I tried the no hands thing & I'm pretty sure that its not the rear alignment but I'm gonna check the alignment later in the garage. The steering bearings will be next. I tried the rolling in neuteral... the bike didnt *thump* but it sure didn't sound right to me before I stopped.

I'm no moto genious  Wink but once I understand how something works I can usually figure it out.

All the front end bearings -any pics on how to attack these???

I have the Suzuki service manual... but its not worth the paper they printed it on (for someone how hasn't a clue like me anyways).

IP Logged
07s40scotty

If it doesn't kill
you- it makes you
stronger

TN
Reply #12 - 10/12/12 at 17:45:41

PS: whatever the guy @ the dealer did it only took him about 15min. Which equals 45 min. for me lol

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 10/12/12 at 19:58:54

Man,, YOu gotta ask them what they did,, mite be able to impart some wisdom amongst the tribe,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
07s40scotty

If it doesn't kill
you- it makes you
stronger

TN
Reply #14 - 10/13/12 at 18:25:44

I gotta see if I can find the invoice... but Im pretty sure it just had a labor charge, no details

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 12:27:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › serious shake

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.