Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Old, women drivers
10/11/12 at 18:51:57

102-Year-Old Woman Still Drives Her 82-Year-Old Car
She's held her driver's license for 90 years

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHwwwJ83oWo&feature=player_embedded

Most classic car owners are accustomed to the unusual looks other motorists cast toward their relics on the road. But when Margaret Dunning is behind the wheel of her 1930 Packard 740 Roadster, she draws more attention than her vehicle.

Dunning, age 102, may be one of a small handful of classic-car drivers who can lay claim to the fact they're older than their vehicles.

She was born in 1910, and lives in Plymouth, Michigan, twenty years before her beloved Packard. She's been driving since she was 8 years old, and officially received her license at 12, after her father died. In an appearance at the Concours d' Elegance last month, Dunning recounted her start as an automotive aficionado.

"I'm just a farm girl, and my dad had a lot of machinery, and I adored my dad," she said. "I became familiar with the tools, because the minute I said I didn't know what I was looking for, he'd say, 'Go back to the house.'"

She owns several classic vehicles. In addition to the Packard, she includes a '66 Cadillac DeVille, a '75 Cadillac Eldorado convertible and a 1931 Model A in her collection. The one she still drives the most? Her everyday car, an '03 Cadillac DeVille. Occasionally, she still changes her own oil.

"Before old age overtook me, I could scoot under the car very nicely," she said.

No doubt her beloved Packard has survived a lot. Check out our gallery here of sturdy, reliable vehicles that we think give you your best chance to survive the apocalypse:

http://autos.aol.com/article/102-year-old-woman-still-drives-her-82-year-old-...

--Steve

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Old, women drivers
Reply #1 - 10/11/12 at 22:09:48

Neat lady...  ... and I bet she don't text and drive.... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 10/11/12 at 22:22:07

102 years OLD? She dont look a day over 60.. I say shes fakin it.She's usin a dead persons ID. Grin

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
J C Stokes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 10/12/12 at 11:39:48

She featured at this years Pebble Beach concours.

IP Logged
ColoS40Girl

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 10/13/12 at 12:19:53

Good for her! I love the Packard in her collection.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 02:29:57

General CategoryThe Cafe › Old, women drivers

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.