Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Taller gear possibilities (Read 557 times)
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Re: Taller gear possibilities
Reply #30 - 10/16/12 at 10:15:53

Dave wrote on 10/11/12 at 14:18:03:
For the better gear ratio.....so far the closest looking one I have found in the parts list is the 6th Gear in the Suzuki Versa.  It is in the same location on the input and output shafts.....but nobody knows if the shaft size, splines, or gears are any better?

Dave, thanks for locating this possibility.  I guess I found the right Suzuki Versa by Bing search - presumably the off-road motorcycle, not the car!   Grin  Can you tell me what years the Suzuki Versa was (is?) produced?  That would help me find the parts list.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #31 - 10/16/12 at 13:11:51

serenity3743 wrote on 10/16/12 at 10:15:53:
Dave wrote on 10/11/12 at 14:18:03:
For the better gear ratio.....so far the closest looking one I have found in the parts list is the 6th Gear in the Suzuki Versa.  It is in the same location on the input and output shafts.....but nobody knows if the shaft size, splines, or gears are any better?

Dave, thanks for locating this possibility.  I guess I found the right Suzuki Versa by Bing search - presumably the off-road motorcycle, not the car!   Grin  Can you tell me what years the Suzuki Versa was (is?) produced?  That would help me find the parts list.

DL650, Here is a link to a 2007 parts page.  Gear 29 and 9 are the 6th gear set that appears to be just like our 5th....but I have no idea about the teeth, shaft size or dimensions.

http://www.hondaofflorence.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=432668&catego...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #32 - 10/16/12 at 13:22:08

I'm about to split a case open.
If you send your gears, I can try them out.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #33 - 10/17/12 at 11:28:40

Hey.....Somebody in Michigan go check these out.  Count teeth on the 6th gear set, count shaft splines, measure stuff.......tell us if the sixth gear set will fit in a Savage and make fifth gear a little taller?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/S54-Suzuki-DL650-DL-650-V-Strom-VStrom-2004-Transmiss...

IP Logged
mjs3790225

Finally making a
presence!

Orlando, Fl
Reply #34 - 10/17/12 at 13:17:29

I did the Kawasaki pulley mod. I like the result. Did a 3700 mile trip over the summer with it no problems. Makes highway and parking lot driving a whole lot better. I had a machine shop friend lathe it down to the size of the stock one. Like everyone else has said, the material is really hard, and it took my buddy several bits to cut it. Only con I've had is an increase in belt noise. Haven't figured out where its coming from yet. O_o

1996 LS650 - University of Central Florida

Complete: Raptor, Dyna, Carb rejet, Seat cover, Cam Chain, HID lamp, front pulley, plug leak

MPGs please
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #35 - 10/17/12 at 13:19:27

Dave wrote on 10/17/12 at 11:28:40:
Hey.....Somebody in Michigan go check these out.  Count teeth on the 6th gear set, count shaft splines, measure stuff.......tell us if the sixth gear set will fit in a Savage and make fifth gear a little taller?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/S54-Suzuki-DL650-DL-650-V-Strom-VStrom-2004-Transmiss...

I get the impression you think that as long as the bike is a 650 that it may be similar. Let me quell that right now. You just posted gears from a V-twin. The Savage is a single.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #36 - 10/17/12 at 13:37:41

Cavi Mike wrote on 10/17/12 at 13:19:27:
Dave wrote on 10/17/12 at 11:28:40:

I get the impression you think that as long as the bike is a 650 that it may be similar. Let me quell that right now. You just posted gears from a V-twin. The Savage is a single.

I will admit it is a long shot, and I am not basing it entirely on it being a 650 alone.  I looked at the microfiche for several models and compared the drawings to find a gear set that was in the same location, had the fork groove and dogs in the same location and the same number of dogs meshing with the adjoining gear.  I am only hoping that there is some attempt by Suzuki to standardize a few things like shaft size and spline count.  Granted.......this is a long shot.

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #37 - 10/17/12 at 16:22:06

Usually carbide lathe tools have a rounded corners on the cutting tip. If you grind that to a 45 degree flat bevel about a 1/16" wide and run the lathe At real high speed with slow and careful advance, it cuts nice and smooth and also resists breaking the tip from the hammering of the uneven surface. Just don't grind the bevel any wider than that, or the lateral forces are going to be too much and might rip the pulley out of the chuck. It's doable, but takes time and patience. Machining Titanium is much worse.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #38 - 10/17/12 at 18:29:04

ralfyguy wrote on 10/17/12 at 16:22:06:
Usually carbide lathe tools have a rounded corners on the cutting tip. If you grind that to a 45 degree flat bevel about a 1/16" wide and run the lathe At real high speed with slow and careful advance, it cuts nice and smooth and also resists breaking the tip from the hammering of the uneven surface. Just don't grind the bevel any wider than that, or the lateral forces are going to be too much and might rip the pulley out of the chuck. It's doable, but takes time and patience. Machining Titanium is much worse.

how do you know so much about this stuff?

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #39 - 10/17/12 at 19:07:28

Gyrobob wrote on 10/17/12 at 18:29:04:
ralfyguy wrote on 10/17/12 at 16:22:06:

how do you know so much about this stuff?

I'm a machinist by trade from Germany, immigrated to Oklahoma in 2000, currently not in the trade anymore. I obtained a Master's degree in industrial engineering in Germany. I used to design fully automatic production machines. A hard exhausting job with very long hours and hardly any free time and certainly no room for serious private relationships. Most of these machines were prototypes from scratch. My biggest project was a fully computer controlled, pneumatic cylinders operating machine that welded dashboards for the Mercedes S-Class together utilizing ultrasonic welding with Titanium Sonotrodes. They had to be machined out of billet Titanium, a wonderful material, but a horror for machining, especially threading and turning. When I took the job, there was just two barebones steel frames, one for left hand steering models, the other for right hand steering. The boss showed me the finished hand welded product and said that this machine is supposed to do that fully automatic without supervision in three months. Both sides! I had to do the entire design, machining of every single part, ordering the materials and valves and controls for the pneumatics, go and pick them up at the manufacturers, get the machines finished and running, program the computers, take the machines apart, put them on a truck, deliver to the Mercedes plant, put them back together and spend a week monitoring the function in the production line.
Messing with Titanium is one of the toughest challenges,  especially with sonotrodes that had to be tuned for a specific required (amplitude) frequency. That means in and out of the lathe or mill, shave another thousand of a millimeter off and test, test, test.
Sometimes they were made from already hardened steel and you could not anneal them to make the soft for machining.
This is where you get the hang of it.
I gave up my career to marry a beautiful Lady from Oklahoma, and leave everything behind in Germany. Smiley

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #40 - 10/17/12 at 19:25:26

Impressive!!  Now we know the "go-to guy" for machining expertise!

My grandparents were from Germany, and I was born in Ada, OK.  Small world, eh?

What career do you pursue in OK?

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #41 - 10/17/12 at 19:36:11

Gyrobob wrote on 10/17/12 at 19:25:26:
Impressive!!  Now we know the "go-to guy" for machining expertise!

My grandparents were from Germany, and I was born in Ada, OK.  Small world, eh?

What career do you pursue in OK?

Ada is just 60 miles from McAlester where I live, so yes the world IS small. Smiley
I have left the trade as I wanted fixed hours from 7:30 - 5:00 to pursuit my goal to establish a family and have my own home that is paid for.
I am a strong believer in either career or family, not both. I now work in sales at a Wholesale Supply.
I do miss having a shop with all the tools though. I now have a work bench with a vise on it and a couple of files, wrenches and hammers. I miss the lathe the most. You can do amazing things with that.
Now I have to find workarounds fro things I used to professionally, because of the lack of the tools, but this is a challenge in itself again. It's fun to improvise.  Smiley

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #42 - 10/18/12 at 10:49:28

I wouldn't know what I'd do if I didn't have access to machines. I'd surely lose my mind.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #43 - 10/18/12 at 20:58:31

When I took the job, there was just two barebones steel frames, one for left hand steering models, the other for right hand steering. The boss showed me the finished hand welded product and said that this machine is supposed to do that fully automatic without supervision in three months. Both sides! I had to do the entire design, machining of every single part, ordering the materials and valves and controls for the pneumatics, go and pick them up at the manufacturers, get the machines finished and running, program the computers, take the machines apart, put them on a truck, deliver to the Mercedes plant, put them back together and spend a week monitoring the function in the production line.

Dang! Tough assignment, short deadline.

Yep,, ya done good, & walking away to have a family? Good call,,I never heard of one single event where someone was moaning on their death bed

"Ohhh, I wish I had spent more time at work"..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #44 - 10/19/12 at 03:43:23

It's good to know there is another LS650 dude in Oklahoma.
I will be moving to Henryetta in the spring.   Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 12:29:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Taller gear possibilities

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.