Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tire changing question (Read 93 times)
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Tire changing question
10/10/12 at 13:39:03

I've got the wheels off and I'm going to have a co-worker help with the tire installation. My question is regarding the wheel installation.

I remember reading on this forum a long time ago that all nuts/bolts should go in 'wet'. Either locktite, anti-seize, or oil should be on the threads. Is that true? Is that applicable for the handful that I had to remove for this job?

Items in question:
belt guard bolts (front, upper, and lower)
belt tension bolts
rear axle
shock mounting bolts
front axle
front pinch bolt
caliper mounting bolts

Second part - Do I need to grease anything when re-assembling? spacers, axles, etc? I didn't see anything called out in Clymers. What type of grease to use?

Thanks for the help.

-D. Dwarf

Pearl White 2007 S40; Dyna exhaust; Current jets: 52.5 w/ bleed (2 turns out) / 1.5mm (0.06") spacer / 150; raptor petcock
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Tire changing question
Reply #1 - 10/10/12 at 14:14:33

Yes... and no.

Steel bolts screwed into aluminum housings need a little anti seize to prevent galvanic corrosion, especially on the header bolts.

anti sieze is that type of grease that's a poor lubricant but a good surface protector.

some bolts require to be torqued lubricated and the torque required usually is lower then dry torques.  So I wouldn't go nuts on the anti seize on everything.  I only know of the head nuts and header  bolts needing lube while installing.  So I would tend not to apply it unless specifically stated.

WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #2 - 10/11/12 at 07:04:48

Go ahead and lightly grease the axle shafts, they don't need it but they will be easier to insert. Any type of grease is fine, even vaseline. As for the others, you can grease the shock bolts where the shock eyes mount, but don't get any in the threads. You can grease the belt guard bolts, they aren't under any critical load bearing stresses, but they don't really need it. Adjuster bolts? Do not grease. Front pinch bolt and caliper bolts I'd use anti-sieze, sparingly.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #3 - 10/12/12 at 09:22:58

WD wrote on 10/11/12 at 07:04:48:
Front pinch bolt and caliper bolts I'd use anti-sieze, sparingly.

I like to put a little on things I might want to take apart again someday - especially in rust-prone areas  'sparingly" is probably the key word

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 16:20:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tire changing question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.