Send Topic Print
Modulating headlight (Read 149 times)
redsticksavage
YaBB Newbies

2006 S40

Baton Rouge, La
Modulating headlight
10/06/12 at 17:42:12

Is anyone using a modulating headlight for better visibility?

What brand?
How was it installed?
Any how to's posted?

Thanks

2006 S40, EBC organic front/stock rear pads, 4900 miles, Rotella T6, Shinko 712s, Fram fuel filter, Raptor, no 4 nylon washer, 3 turns air mix, jets 150/52.5, open Dyna, stock air box
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Modulating headlight
Reply #1 - 10/06/12 at 21:48:12

MOdulating headlight? IMO, the jury is still out on them. &, NOT IMO,
simple fact, I do not like them. They distract me from driving & DEMand I look at That Light,, Irritating at best,, Im not sure they dont affect others as the do me,
Ohh, well,, Lookie what I found..

For the last 30 years or so I have kept my high beam on during daytime riding as a way to increase my visibility to car and truck drivers. But after my wife harrangued me about how annoying she found it to have a motorcycle riding behind her car with its high beam on, I am thinking of switching to using the low beam, but with a headlight modulator. But then my wife said that when she sees a modulating headlight coming toward her it causes her to almost fixate on it, so I wondered if using this device might actually end up making me more, rather than less likely to get hit by a car. Any thoughts on this?  

And

Vito, I do understand the desire to be seen when on a motorcycle. I tend to agree with your wife.
From a car drivers point of view I do not like the high beam use during the day. Not so much on the highway but in traffic and at lights. It can be very annoying having someone in front approaching or behind me shining their high beams in my mirrors. Not as bad when I am on my motorcycle and another cycle pulls up behind me as I can move the bars to deflect direct reflections. The headlight modulators are effective but I find them even more annoying. I associate the flashing light with emergency vehicles. I have met a group of bikes with several running the modulators and it can be very distracting. I have also seen this discussed on ADVrider. Some have been the victim of "target fixation" and almost run off the road by on coming drivers.
I modified my front & rear turn signals. They have dual filament lamps for running lights and turn signals. This helps but I do feel that several drivers simply "Don't See Me". I also wear a high-vis mesh jacket most of the time. When it's cold and have the heavy leather jacket on I will wear a reflective vest in the morning and at night.
Interested to read what others will have to say.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
redsticksavage
YaBB Newbies

2006 S40

Baton Rouge, La
Reply #2 - 10/07/12 at 07:15:52

They do garner their share of controversy but those who have them swear by their visibility, and that is what we all want isn't it?

http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/53-general-discussion/71993-modulating-headl...

"I've used the Comagination one for several years now and it's amazing.

It's definitely stopped several people from turning or pulling out in front of me. You really can see people notice you.

Necessary equipment IMHO."

2006 S40, EBC organic front/stock rear pads, 4900 miles, Rotella T6, Shinko 712s, Fram fuel filter, Raptor, no 4 nylon washer, 3 turns air mix, jets 150/52.5, open Dyna, stock air box
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #3 - 10/07/12 at 07:43:05

I have one, and like it. People can see you and better yet, notice you.
Installation was a snap.
I don't care if it is annoying- so is being cut off buy a cager who doesn't notice you. Wink
Mine is a Pathblazer 115W.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Grayowl

Always learn from
yesterday

North Texas
Reply #4 - 10/07/12 at 07:52:56

But then my wife said that when she sees a modulating headlight coming toward her it causes her to almost fixate on it, so I wondered if using this device might actually end up making me more, rather than less likely to get hit by a car. Any thoughts on this?  

JOG - I have wondered the same thing about the modulated head lights.  It seems that a lot of people do want to focus on them and it could make you a target on the road.  Might work well in heavy stop and go traffic in the city, but I am not sure on the highway.

There was a study done awhile back about why so many police cars stopped for tickets or emergencies were being rear ended by drunks and it was found that the drunk fixates on the flashing blue lights (LED lights being the worst).  Around here some of our police cars have gone to a single blue light rear facing on the light bars to help with this issue.  It is still a little earlier to tell if it has done any good.  Some of the light bar manufactures have even gone to just a single or two smaller blue rear lights that are not LED even in their LED bars to see if that helps also.

At a local biker bash a month ago I saw a bike with green secondary / driving lights on it.  It made me look right now, but I did not seem to keep looking back at it like a MHL.  I am not sure I want to have green lights on my bike, but it sure got my attention.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 10/07/12 at 10:21:33

I am not skeert of what people think,, I AM skeert of them who Dont Think,,I am considering one of those white fiberglass whips with the orange flag,, Laugh at me? The only ones who will are the ones who see me.,, I hope Everyone laughs at me,,especially those who are wanting to turn left,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
clearush

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deer Park,TX
Reply #6 - 10/07/12 at 10:49:09

www.comagination.com/modBulb.htm

is the one I Installed I went with the combo brake light flasher. basicly you get a epoxy pot with two h4 wiring harnesses one plugs to the bulb and the other to the regular plug no wire cutting or splicing. run high beam for modulation and low beam no modulation and no modulation at night.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 10/08/12 at 12:51:41

Saw a sportbike with 2 pairs of headlights go by yesterday.
The brighter pair alternate between hi and lo every few second.
However, the other pair were more noticeable and very fine.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 08:17:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Modulating headlight

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.