Send Topic Print
How screwed am I ?? (Read 140 times)
gdrseeker

Addicted!!

Carson Valley NV
How screwed am I ??
10/05/12 at 23:47:02

My Air Mix Screw is toast.  

I bought this bike a couple months ago and I have been working on in little by little. It is a 1995 Savage. I recently put on a Jardine Slip on Exhaust.  So I decided to adjust the Air/Fuel mix screw, and found there was a glob of silicone in the screw hole.  

I pulled that out and found that the guy who had the bike before me had stripped the screw head badly.  I tried to twist it out and it got very bad.  I  attempted to remove it with an "easy out" but it just got screwed up more.  I drilled it out to try to get to it and now it is totally beyond repair.  

The bike now pops even more on deceleration than it did before.  What can I do to try to fix this? Re-jet? Is it getting too much air now?

guess I will post in the marketplace .........looking for a new carb.

1996 Savage, Jardine, K&N, 145 / 55 jets, 1 turn out at 5000 ft. elevation.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: How screwed am I ??
Reply #1 - 10/06/12 at 03:23:11

Are you able to get the remnants of the screw out ?
Are the threads if the carb intact in the screw hole ?

I may be able to help.

IP Logged
brucey
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #2 - 10/06/12 at 06:13:27

If its just the screw thats damaged you can buy a new one, mine was stripped to holy hell when i got it. Im not sure what some people are using to adjust these, its just a little screw.

IP Logged
LouSiana

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hannover, Germany
Reply #3 - 10/06/12 at 06:29:50

...some people have to learn the hard way that brass is a much more delicate matter than steel. Same to the light metals.

To keep up the thread: Yes, you are screwed if you can't manage to get the debris out and save the thread of the body.

At last, some pictures may help us to judge what to do for a rescue. We know it might be horrrible to see. We can stand that with normal blood pressure, I hope!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 10/06/12 at 06:39:35

Messin with munched stuff is hard, doin it while youre on your knees isnt a recipe for success. Id have the carb in a vise, so I could hold tools straight & square to it. Left hand drill bit, for sure ( I gotta get me a coupla those) Time spent cleaning threads of gunk so it Will come out could be well spent,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
gdrseeker

Addicted!!

Carson Valley NV
Reply #5 - 10/06/12 at 07:24:16

Pulling the screw out in not an option.  It is munched up in there by the drill and "easy out" to the point where there is nothing but mangled brass.  I did pull it off the bike and try on the bench but by that time it was too late I am afraid.  the "easy out" just kept digging in deeper and deeper. I am down past the thread of the screw and into the part with the spring I think. Also the threads on the side of the hole are done.  I filled it back up with silicone, and I am at work so I can post picks ......they are too bloody for public view anyway.

So what will help can I expect to see any change if I try different jets?  should I even bother?

P.S. I did buy a new screw before attempting to pull it, so if anyone wants one let me know I can send it in the mail for $10. I paid like $17 for the part and shipping from the stealership.

1996 Savage, Jardine, K&N, 145 / 55 jets, 1 turn out at 5000 ft. elevation.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 10/06/12 at 09:01:13

send me a PM dude, I have a solution for you

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 06:23:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How screwed am I ??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.