stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Rear Runnlng Lamps
10/05/12 at 20:31:35

I checked this site for tips and see that there are LED conversion kits to make the rear turn signals LEDs and running lamps and blinkers like the front.  I don't want to go to that trouble, so is there an easy way to just put a couple of wires together and make the stock rear turn signals running lights as well while not losing the blinker function (just like the front)?    

And why wouldn't they do this to begin with out of the box? To make the rear turn signal more prominent when it blinks from 0 to full light versus partial light to full light?

« Last Edit: 10/05/12 at 22:29:45 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Johnny57

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minneapolis
Re: Rear Runnung Lamps
Reply #1 - 10/05/12 at 20:51:39

It is pretty easy to wire them as running lights and turn signals but the rear only have single filament bulbs.  You need to get a set of lights that have dual filament bulbs and then it is quite easy to make a Y connector and wire the single end of the Y into either the brown wire that goes to License plate light or brown wire that goes to tailight.  I think they are brown (If I remember correctly).  No dice without dual filament lights.  Hey Stew.  Thanks for the plug.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 10/05/12 at 22:02:45

Wouldn't be too hard to get a couple of front sig's and plug them in the rear.
But to be legal, the lenses got to be red.

LED conversion would have to be high dollar, just not bright enough otherwise.

WWW   IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #3 - 10/05/12 at 22:08:15

You don't want amber running lights in the rear, it's confusing to other drivers. I'm pretty sure it's also illegal. Any constant-on lights in the rear should be red, only indicators may be amber.

As far as wiring, you need to get yourself some dual-filament housings and bulbs and then you can wire the 5w filament to any switched power source on the bike - these will be your running lights. The 20w filament will be your indicators.

That being said, red indicators can also be confusing, especially if you happen to be fairly jerky with your brakes. If you're on/off/on/off with your brakes when you have an indicator blinking, this leads to more confusion. This is why indicators on vehicles in Europe are all amber. Don't need to be confused which way someone is going when you're flying down the A9.

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #4 - 10/05/12 at 22:17:17

These are the rear lights I bought. They have amber indicators and red running/brake lights. They're very bright. I'm not using the plate bracket, I removed the lights and am mounting them separately.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CUSTOM-FIT-MOTORCYCLE-LED-TURN-SIGNALS-BRAKE-TAIL-LIG...

Looks like they have some black ones now too. I wish these were available when I bought mine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Motorcycle-Quad-ATV-Turn-signal-Brake-License-Pla...

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Re: Rear Runnlng Lamps
Reply #5 - 10/06/12 at 15:55:02

Thanks folks, for the 'how to' and explanations.  I didn't realize there may be legal issues, but it all makes sense and I don't want to create a problem.  I don't drive a lot at night, but just thought it may be safer to have more lights (I want to light it up like a Christmas tree  Smiley) though seems it would only be better if I go the 'red' option.

I'll have to give this some thought and if I end up making any mods I will make sure to follow-up with details/pics.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 12:28:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear Runnlng Lamps

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.