Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Raising the seat with spacers? (Read 122 times)
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Raising the seat with spacers?
10/03/12 at 21:07:52

So, I notice my right leg often gets almost a cramp where my leg attaches to my body.  Seems this happens mostly when I'm in traffic and having to use the brake a lot.  I *think* this is because my legs are just a little too long for where the pegs are (I'm 5'10" with a 30" inseam).  I've also noticed if I lean back a little, it seems to go away.

So, would raising the seat with spacers help with this?  Should I try that first, or should I consider one of the kits to move the controls forward?  

Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers,
Dave

IP Logged
heroicseven

oops, I broke it.

San Diego
Re: Raising the seat with spacers?
Reply #1 - 10/03/12 at 21:12:19

I raised my seat yesterday, and today on the way to work it was much more comfy. It was a huge improvement and it only cost about 3 bucks for some longer stainless bolts. I used 4 large nuts as the spacers 1/2'' I beleive 2 on each side electrical taped together. I may go with three but it starts to look tacky. I would eventually like to get some foward controlls but for 3 bucks you cant go wrong!!  Grin Grin

Im about 5'11"

00' raptor - supertrapp - 52.5 - 155 - half spacer - versaved
  IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #2 - 10/03/12 at 21:41:09

I put on his savage probably the cheapest hub for the lifting of the driver's seat.
I used plastic spasersn from washing machine... they reinforce the washing drum unit when shipping their height is about 1 inch. and at first I did http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1341147728

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #3 - 10/03/12 at 22:47:42

Probably should adjust the brake pedal as well. If you really have to hold your foot in the air to keep from putting pressure on it, it's set too high.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 10/03/12 at 23:39:33

Absolutely. YOu should be sitting comfortably, feet relaxed,, adjust the bike to suit you. If you lock the brake up too easily, adjust the pedal more. if its still too easyt, mod the brake shoes.. I did,I cut the surface with a grinder, less surface = less braking= more pedal pressure to lock up

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #5 - 10/04/12 at 06:54:43

I may try that this weekend (raising the seat a little, I mean).  If leaning back makes the cramp go away, then raising the seat even 1 inch might drastically improve the comfort.  It does *feel* a little cramped, unless I consciously slide back on the seat a bit.

Good thought on the brake pedal, but I think it's probably set good...I have to put a lot of effort into making the rear brake lock up, and that's what I want.

Thanks,
Dave

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 10/04/12 at 09:33:28

My seat is raised 2"... don't be too timid with this mod...
1" does help.... but 2" puts the seat in the position that it should have been to start with. (only problem is,.. it does take a bit of finessing to get the rear bolts aligned, and the center of the seat supported)...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #7 - 10/04/12 at 09:39:30

I raised my seat about an inch and man it helped a lot. Another bonus is that now the lower edge of the seat is on line with the lower edge of the gas tank,and it looks like it should. Before the mod the tank was on line with the top of the seat.

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
misterbbq

Acworth, GA
Reply #8 - 10/05/12 at 08:25:58

i went with 1.5" spacers i got at lowes and 60mm bolts with washers.

then i put an airhawk on top of that and i'm a lot more comfy.  also adjust the brake lever down a bit using directions from the technical section.  worked great.

*edit i also put some hard furniture pad stick-ons on the frame rail where the seat 'bumpers' hit so the seat wouldn't flex too much (i weigh 270).

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 02:15:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Raising the seat with spacers?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.