Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Slick Wheelie discussion from Tech Section (Read 135 times)
dmj13

Enthusiastic Amateur

San Antonio, TX
Slick Wheelie discussion from Tech Section
10/02/12 at 21:20:54

This contains the off topic and continuing discussions generated by the locked thread "Slick Wheelie" which is about a commercial front wheel attaching drag along device that fits a trailer hitch.

Al, where did you get the hard bags?

« Last Edit: 10/05/12 at 05:34:31 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

2009 S40: Lancer Jet Kit with 55 pilot, 152.5 main, 1 washers/Uni foam filter/ Jardine exhaust
  IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Re: Review - Slick Wheelie
Reply #1 - 10/04/12 at 02:52:46

I got them here.Saddlebags&product_id=45&s=prod.php

They were pretty easy to install but I didn't like the LED turn signals so I added some regular turn signals.

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
lg_fry
YaBB Newbies

York, PA
Reply #2 - 10/04/12 at 14:47:47

Can I ask why my post was deleted? All I did was ask why not just put the bike in the bed of the truck.

If this is the quality of moderating that goes on here, it's no wonder there's such a clique mentality.

2007 Boulevard S40, Saddleman bags, Emgo Reverse Cone Muffler

55 mpg at last fill-up
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 10/04/12 at 15:27:41

Sure, easy enough.    Take a moment and read the Guidelines for the Tech Section, they are up at the top of the stickies at the top of the Tech Section.

Tech is our encyclopedia where we put static how to information.   We don't permit folks to add comments or off topic stuff to Tech Documents, and we bluntly tell you we will delete such.

I generally go through Tech once every other month and trash all the comments, Verslagen goes through it more frequently than that.

So, this entire bunch of add ons is headed for RSD since it seems to have a life of its own now and perhaps can support its own discussion.

But it doesn't belong in Tech Section unless it is a how to.

Is this a clique mentality?   If I had been around to make up these rules intitially, then maybe I could be guilty.  But I am a 4th generation moderator and am not guilty of the structure of the place.

Now I am guilty of enforcing the rules and I will likely be guilty of that until some new moderators get named and I can retire.

I have placed the name of Serowbot into nomination,  he has been seconded and thirded so he's my replacement in waiting (waiting for Mysterious to set him up that is)

He is going to need some help, so who else is out there that you trust?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
lg_fry
YaBB Newbies

York, PA
Re: Slick Wheelie generated items from Tech Sectio
Reply #4 - 10/04/12 at 15:46:26

hold on just a sec. i'm saying i posted in that thread once before and the post was deleted entirely, not simply moved. its at least a little inconsistent to delete some and move others.
also i'd like to challenge the concept that my comment was off topic. it was relevant as to why exactly he made his contraption and didnt simply use his truck for exactly what it was made for.i mean how much more relevant can you get than, "Why?"

2007 Boulevard S40, Saddleman bags, Emgo Reverse Cone Muffler

55 mpg at last fill-up
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Slick Wheelie generated items from Tech Sectio
Reply #5 - 10/04/12 at 16:49:21

It's true, the guy had a truck, why not buy a couple of boards and put in the bed instead?

Simplest explanation: cause he didn't want to.

The bed may not be available from time to time.  Other than that, riding up a couple of boards is not the safest thing to do.  U tube is full of disasters.  Loading it on a dohicky is pretty darn easy.

I have a similar dohicky, but for a car.  I assume you're not going to ask why.

Do you ask why someone bob's his bike?

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Slick Wheelie "continued" from Tech
Reply #6 - 10/04/12 at 18:36:28

lg_fry wrote on 10/04/12 at 15:46:26:
hold on just a sec. i'm saying i posted in that thread once before and the post was deleted entirely, not simply moved. its at least a little inconsistent to delete some and move others.
also i'd like to challenge the concept that my comment was off topic. it was relevant as to why exactly he made his contraption and didnt simply use his truck for exactly what it was made for.i mean how much more relevant can you get than, "Why?"

Did you read the Guidelines for Tech Section?  The guidelines tell you added comments to tech posts will be deleted.   Yours were.

Consistency?  My goodness you want a lot don't you?  To be consistent I wouldn't attempt to answer your question over in Tech at all, I'd simply delete it.

So, I pulled it over to the question section and I answered it.

And the OFF TOPIC thing is added automatically by YaBB, so don't take it to heart.

Now, wanting to "challenge the concept" of why he built his contraption to put it on a pick up truck, for that I cannot say.   I built mine to come off the open trunk of a car that has since been sold and the contraption scrapped as a failed idea (but I will admit I carried the front wheel too high up and that is why I had a lot of my issues).

Now from a moderators point of view, the discussion was out of place, it was certainly veering away from the author's intent of the Tech Post and was due to be clipped.   And indeed it has been.  Next time I look at it, Al's stuff may well look out of place and get clipped too.

My purpose here is to once again educate a new generation of newbies to DO NOT ADD STUFF TO THE TECH POSTS, my real motivation is simple, you don't add the stuff I don't have to go in there every other month and clean it all out again.

Selfish, and lazy -- that's me ....

« Last Edit: 10/05/12 at 05:21:46 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Slick Wheelie discussion from Tech Section
Reply #7 - 10/05/12 at 06:34:49

RidgeRunner13 brought up a good point about drag-alongs and the Savage belt drive.

We can't take the chain off, which is generally recommended when towing a bike.   The tranny output shaft is spinning at speed with no oil circulation.

A way to possibly beat this is to temporarily overfill the sump with oil so that the tilted up bike has the output shaft running under the oil pool surface.

Since the output shaft runs on ball bearings and they would have an oil bath through overfilling, I don't see where towing in that fashion would be a bad thing for the tranny.  The oil bath would both lube and cool the gearsets and the spinning bearings on the output shaft.

Of course when you were done towing you'd have to take some oil out of the sump, but that is less effort than putting a chain back on by quite a bit.   A quick way would be to pull the view plug on the left side and hold the bike straight upright until the gushing flood stopped.

Messy, yes, so do it on some grass somewhere the EPA won't see you doing it.

« Last Edit: 10/05/12 at 17:24:57 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/18/24 at 01:51:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Slick Wheelie discussion from Tech Section

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.