Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Left Turn Signal Wont Turn Off (Read 243 times)
Steve6
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Left Turn Signal Wont Turn Off
10/02/12 at 16:16:24

Have an '06 S40 with about 4500miles and no previous issues or mods (save a backrest). Put the key in the ignition one day and the left turn signal was stuck on. Wont cancel with the switch, and if i turn the right signal on all four signals flash. I decided to take the switch apart assuming it was a short in the switch (already planned on buying a replacement left hand control), but with the switch disasimbled (read cannot be put back together) and no leads touching each other the left turn signal is still flashing away. Any thoughts?

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Re: Left Turn Signal Wont Turn Off
Reply #1 - 10/02/12 at 16:34:33

Short in the wire harness. Either you'll need to open the harness up and find the short or you'll need a new harness.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 10/02/12 at 16:37:31

Step ONE,

Stay Calm,, do NOT get frustrated

A 66-year-old man shot himself in both his legs Saturday afternoon while trying to loosen a stubborn lug nut with a 12-gauge shotgun.

Kitsap County sheriff's deputies were called to the residence on the 10800 block of SE Olympiad Drive at 2:57 p.m. after the shooting was reported to 911 emergency dispatchers, said Deputy Scott Wilson, a sheriff's office spokesman.

"Nobody else was there and he wasn't intoxicated," Wilson said.

South Kitsap Fire and Rescue medics treated the man at the scene. He was taken to Tacoma General Hospital. Wilson said his injuries were "severe but not life-threatening."

Deputies at the scene reported the man blasted "double-ought" buckshot at the wheel from "arm's length," Wilson said.

The deputies described the man's legs as "peppered" from his feet to his mid-abdomen with pellets, pieces of the wheel and other debris. Some injuries went as far up as his chin.

The man had been repairing the Lincoln Continental for two weeks, and had removed all the lug nuts on the right rear wheel except for one.

"He's bound and determined to get that lug nut off," Wilson said, who did not know how long the man had been trying to free the lug nut.

The deputies did not take a statement from the man beyond what they were able to gather while he was being treated by medics.

"I don't think he was in any condition to say anything," Wilson said. "The pain was so severe, and the shock."

Ive always wondered what the next step was when a hammer mechanic got to his biggest hammer & that wouldnt get it.

Now, get an ohm meter & trace the hot wire thats feeding the flasher unit. Unhook the battery so ya dont wreck the ohm meter, or, use the Volts scale,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #3 - 10/02/12 at 16:42:26

When you say it's stuck on, is it on constant, or is it stuck on flashing?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 10/02/12 at 16:52:49

& That is a good question..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 10/02/12 at 17:01:36

You do know that the fronts have running lights?  dim are running, bright are turns?

I'd start with the dangling switch wires, heck they're there begin for attention.

Get a VOM and with the key on, wiring diagram in hand, find out which wire should be hot and which should be cold.

pull the bulb out, is it still hot?

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 10/02/12 at 17:12:19

I wonder if the right side is burned out on the running lite filament..

IP Logged
Steve6
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 10/02/12 at 18:53:07

By stuck on I mean flashing continually. I used a multimeter to measure the resistance between the four terminals going into the switch prior to taking it apart. There was minimal resistance between any two of the four terminals (which was puzzling), therefore, I decided to go ahead and disassemble it (per my own curiosity, thinking there might be a short between them in the inner workings of the switch). I'm thinking it could be something in the wiring harness (and will be checking that next).

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #8 - 10/02/12 at 19:39:35

Steve6 wrote on 10/02/12 at 16:16:24:
...with the switch disasimbled (read cannot be put back together) and no leads touching each other the left turn signal is still flashing away.

If I read this correctly the first time and you meant that all of the leads have been removed from the switch and are connected to nothing but the thin air and you still have a flashing left blinker; there is only one possibility and that is a short inside the harness for the left indicator. It's over-riding the switch.

Now if I read you wrong and the wires are still soldered to the switch, the switch may be at fault.

You'll need to be a bit more specific and post pictures if possible.

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #9 - 10/02/12 at 19:47:18

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/02/12 at 17:12:19:
I wonder if the right side is burned out on the running lite filament..

And back-feeding the indicator? That wouldn't explain it blinking. The flasher is connected to the switch and only the switch. There's no way for the flasher to be in the circuit until the switch has been turned on unless there is a short.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 10/02/12 at 20:15:14

Steve6 wrote on 10/02/12 at 18:53:07:
By stuck on I mean flashing continually. I used a multimeter to measure the resistance between the four terminals going into the switch prior to taking it apart. There was minimal resistance between any two of the four terminals (which was puzzling), therefore, I decided to go ahead and disassemble it (per my own curiosity, thinking there might be a short between them in the inner workings of the switch). I'm thinking it could be something in the wiring harness (and will be checking that next).

2 of the wire went to the lights... not much resistance there.
this is for a '03 your 4th wire is probably the eflasher.

WWW   IP Logged
T-Dawg
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yokosuka, Japan
Reply #11 - 03/07/13 at 01:24:04

Bump for an old thread... ever get this figured out?

I'm having the exact same issue. Out of nowhere my left turn signal stayed flashing and wouldn't cancel. Tried flipping on right turn signal hoping that might cancel it... and now both flash constantly like I have hazard lights on. Pulled the relay for now so I don't look like a jackass driving to work tomorrow.

1997 Suzuki Savage LS400 - Seat Lift Mod, Lotsa Rust and Rattling parts...

2004 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 - Lots of mods
2000 BMW 318ti - Stock
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 03/07/13 at 04:46:12

With both left and right flashing at once I would look for a short in the switch or the connector leading to the switch.  I would also look for water in the switch and the harness connector. It seems doubtful that a short in the wires of the harness could manage to connect both the left and right signal to the blinker unit at the same time.  Possible with a major pinch in harness somewhere but improbable.  Please post the details when you find out what the problem is.  

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #13 - 03/07/13 at 07:29:02

Change the flasher relay. Both sides draw current from it via the switch. It's a $9 part at any NAPA, Carquest, etc. Stealership is going to charge you a small fortune for a generic part. Take your stock one into the parts store and match up the terminals. Not likely the problem but...

They do go bad. Can be stuck in a no power or constant power mode. Usually no power, but all it takes is a bit of water to seep in, cause corrosion, and bridge the internals. The bike version is smaller and more weather resistant than the old fashioned car canisters but are still subject to the same issues. Vibration, moisture, poor internal connections, etc.

Are signals required where you live? Down here everybody ignores them, the state dropped the mandate for bike turn signals in 2005, regardless of the model year.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 03/07/13 at 08:32:19

I would suggest taking the tank off, and pulling the connector apart that goes to the handlebar switches one at a time.  If the flashing does not stop - then you know that the problem is not in the handlebar control area and must be in the rear harness or flasher.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 01:26:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Left Turn Signal Wont Turn Off

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.