Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Left Turn Signal Wont Turn Off (Read 243 times)
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Left Turn Signal Wont Turn Off
Reply #15 - 03/07/13 at 08:42:57

I would shoot it,... with a shotgun....

(better put the wife and the dog in the house first)... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #16 - 03/07/13 at 14:32:11

I will go along with  disconnecting the switch unit at the harness connection.  If it's in the harness, you'll still have the flashing.  If it's something with the switch, the flashing will stop.

I must admit that I have not followed the wiring on this bike since I've only had mine a couple months.  But, don't most handlebar switches connect to the harness in the headlight?

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #17 - 03/07/13 at 15:57:13

WD wrote on 03/07/13 at 07:29:02:
Change the flasher relay. Both sides draw current from it via the switch. It's a $9 part at any NAPA, Carquest, etc. Stealership is going to charge you a small fortune for a generic part. Take your stock one into the parts store and match up the terminals. Not likely the problem but...

They do go bad. Can be stuck in a no power or constant power mode. Usually no power, but all it takes is a bit of water to seep in, cause corrosion, and bridge the internals. The bike version is smaller and more weather resistant than the old fashioned car canisters but are still subject to the same issues. Vibration, moisture, poor internal connections, etc.

Are signals required where you live? Down here everybody ignores them, the state dropped the mandate for bike turn signals in 2005, regardless of the model year.

I'm not sure if you've ever worked on the flasher in this bike but the flasher is always getting and supplying power. The reason the signals aren't on constantly is because the switch on the handlebars is off.

The circuit goes like this:
Battery-> Flasher-> Switch-> Signal-> Ground

If the flasher goes bad there are only two things that can happen:
1) The signals don't blink
2) The signals don't turn on at all

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 03/07/13 at 18:18:21

Steve H wrote on 03/07/13 at 14:32:11:
I must admit that I have not followed the wiring on this bike since I've only had mine a couple months.  But, don't most handlebar switches connect to the harness in the headlight?

The Savage headlight is tiny....not any room for extra wires and connectors.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #19 - 03/07/13 at 18:21:07

only turn signal connectors are in there, all control switches go straight to the harness under the tank.

WWW   IP Logged
T-Dawg
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yokosuka, Japan
Reply #20 - 03/07/13 at 23:03:12

So this is pretty frustrating. Pardon my retardation... but why the hell does every wiring connector control the lights? Everything I disconnect, disconnects everything... speedo indicator lights, headlights, brakes, turns.. etc. The only thing that turns off the turn signals only is disconnecting the turn signal relay. This whole system is connected in the most clusterf*cked, confusing mess of BS I've ever seen. /end rant.

Anyway... so yea. everything I disconnect will turn them off. I can run on no turn signals, except for when it comes time for inspection. I'm in Japan, so laws are much different here. I'm thinking it's probably the switch, but I'm terrible with electrical trouble shooting, and I can't find my ohm meter to test things (with results I wouldn't even understand probably).

Anybody have an extra switch laying around? Or know the part number for the relay? Mine is worn down... can't read it.

1997 Suzuki Savage LS400 - Seat Lift Mod, Lotsa Rust and Rattling parts...

2004 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 - Lots of mods
2000 BMW 318ti - Stock
  IP Logged
T-Dawg
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yokosuka, Japan
Reply #21 - 03/07/13 at 23:42:24

Btw.. sorry for kind of jacking this thread, haha. But.. our problems are the same... one stop shop.

Anyway. Took headlight apart, and took seat off. Also took apart the switch. Mechanically the switch looks fine.. I think. If I disconnect each turn signal at the bullet connectors.. it will shut each one off individually, as it should. Tried for all 4.

I traced the wires as best as I could.. and none are pinched, frayed, torn, etc. I'll try to find a new relay and get back to you guys.. unless you have better suggestions. I'm not really sure where to start other than that.

Guess I'll have to order a new ohm meter as well, and have you guys help me test for a short (as in what to look for).

1997 Suzuki Savage LS400 - Seat Lift Mod, Lotsa Rust and Rattling parts...

2004 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 - Lots of mods
2000 BMW 318ti - Stock
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 03:25:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Left Turn Signal Wont Turn Off

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.