Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Another petcock sent to the lockerroom (Read 40 times)
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Another petcock sent to the lockerroom
10/02/12 at 08:29:35

It had a good life, but my 12k mileage 2001 Savage petcock has been replaced by a Raptor.  

It was spectacularly failing to pass fuel under low-vacuum conditions, particularly high speed against headwinds.  The engine would just go dead like it ran out of gas, until I switched to prime.  Cooler weather would make the problem worse, so I assume the underlying issue was that the diaphram was hardening and getting too stiff.

I've also fixed the other issues that were rearing their ugly heads.
1) Head oil plug replaced, after leaking enough to cause me to mop migrating oil off the cylinder fins every 50 mi.
2) A verslagy-style extension to the camchain tensioner.  The tensioner deployment was at 18mm at 12k miles.

Last year I replaced the original IRC tires with Metzler 880's.  What a difference in stability over irregular longitudinal road surfaces!  It used to dance all over the place.  Now it is rock steady.

After my first 400 mi day trip with some friends, I (at least my butt) determined that the seat just was not cutting it, even with the seat lift mod.  I usually only make about 50 mi hops.  Consequently a Corbin seat is on order.

Everything is ready to go.  I have put about 6000 mi on the bike since I bought it 2 years ago.  Now I am ready for many more.

This site has been a great resource for repairs and modifications.  Thanks to all contributors.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 04:34:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Another petcock sent to the lockerroom

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.