Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
We need a new eBay!
10/01/12 at 06:30:28

Used to be that eBay was a resource for good deals......and the value of an item was established by the people bidding on it.  It was an auction site and you could get good deals.

In the past year or two eBay has become dominated by dealers or commercial accounts that list a product for 30 days.....and have a very high BUY IT NOW price.  A lot of the parts for motorcycle are from salvage dealers and crashed bikes.......and the prices for parts are waaaay too high.  Dented and rusted exhaust headers are $ 130, rusty front wheels with worn out tires are $ 125......and how many LS650 muffler supports to you think are going to sell for $ 40?  And why does a seller need to post 60 consecutive listings for the same headlight bulb?  There are pages and pages of overpriced parts and sorting through them to find the hobbyist selling at reasonable prices has become cumbersome.

We need a way to sort through eBay and find the private sellers.....or a new eBay that returns to the normal auctions.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
PiaFea

Against the Wind !

Houston, Texas - USA
Re: We need a new eBay!
Reply #1 - 10/01/12 at 07:39:01

I agree strongly.

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #2 - 10/01/12 at 11:05:53

ummmm... only the last 2 years??

try the last 7 years.. its just keeps getting worse.

EBAY could help by adding a boolean search with NOT aka exclude

so
search for Suzuki Savage
exclude title  = "light"
exclude seller = "spammerguy"
exclude title = "and honda and yamaha"

as to pricing.. not much we can do about that.. there is now a "national price.. so we all compete in that market.  Of course we all get to sell there to.

on a tangent
I like guns and use gunbroke to find my favorite brand (Dan Wesson) . Just about no one knows or cares about htem doen here, so i use to get them on the cheap. But a local pawn shop figured it out. Now all DW from like 5 shops across state now come to his shop and he puts them up on gunbroker. The margin is pretty big. A $200 gun (pawned at $100) can fetch $500 to $900 nationally. And no he wont sell me a gun sent to him by another shop as they want risk of the auctin to drive the price up.  

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 10/01/12 at 12:43:31

try putting a "-" in front of what you don't want to see

such as "-bulb"

as far as sellers go, haven't found a way to do that.

WWW   IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #4 - 10/01/12 at 12:48:40

I wish they would add "auction only & buy now only" to their sort by choices. Smiley

Although everything I've tried to buy at auction lately has gone for more $$$ than the buy now price of other sellers! Shocked
Just can't understand that........ Undecided Huh

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #5 - 10/01/12 at 22:36:10

RidgeRunner13 wrote on 10/01/12 at 12:48:40:
I wish they would add "auction only & buy now only" to their sort by choices. Smiley

Although everything I've tried to buy at auction lately has gone for more $$$ than the buy now price of other sellers! Shocked
Just can't understand that........ Undecided Huh

They do have those choices actually.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #6 - 10/02/12 at 04:11:07

Yea any of the options listed on the left hand side you can select "choose more" at the bottom of each category and select multiple options instead of just clicking one at a time  Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #7 - 10/02/12 at 08:42:24

I'd use -china also.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #8 - 10/02/12 at 10:43:01

you can also include a series of items in a search.
I always start my search with "Suzuki (LS650, Savage, S40)", then I put in what I am looking for I.E. "headlight", then I start subtracting the stuff that pops up too much "-bulb"

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #9 - 10/02/12 at 12:25:11

If you don't like buy-it-now prices, stop clicking on buy-it-now ads. Learn how to use the search function or at least learn how to click the "Auctions Only" button. I don't see what the problem is - with eBay anyways - sounds like the problem is you.

I like the buy-it-now ads because sometimes I need a part NOW and can't wait for an auction to end in 6 days with the possibility of losing it anyways. I'll gladly pay the buy-it-now premium in those instances. When I have the time, I'll bid.

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #10 - 10/02/12 at 12:31:19

I dont think he minds the buy-it now, he minds the stores in it.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 10/02/12 at 13:12:33

Cavi Mike wrote on 10/02/12 at 12:25:11:
. I don't see what the problem is - with eBay anyways - sounds like the problem is you.

My problem is that when someone used to post an overpriced beat up item......I generally would only have to look at it for a week.  The seller would get a hint about it being priced too high and next week (if he listed it again) the price would go down...and in a few weeks it would sell.....and I would never have to look at it again.

Now in eBay the commercial sellers are posting things that appear never to expire until the item sells......and very often they are priced over what the market is.....and the same item is on the site for months.

I have used BUY IT NOW and purchased things....but when I am looking......it is very frustrating when you have to scroll through 4 consecutive pages of the same item listed by the same seller who has posted 250 of the idential item.

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #12 - 10/02/12 at 20:23:51

While moaning, ggoogle search has become a PIA also.  Lists of heaven knows what, sometimes it takes page 5 or 6 to find what I was seaching for.  Too many adds.

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #13 - 10/02/12 at 22:40:35

Once again, learn how to use google.

http://ansonalex.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/google-search-tips-infographi...

And learn how to search by using different words or phrases. Sometimes I just type a whole question right in the search bar in hopes that someone has already asked it and google will find it.

If google or eBay sucked anywhere near as bad as you guys think, someone else would have passed them a long time ago. Stop being lazy, it's not like it takes any real effort to type on a keyboard. You'd think someone had tied 45lb weights to your hands.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 10/03/12 at 08:58:17

Cavi Mike wrote on 10/02/12 at 22:40:35:
Stop being lazy, it's not like it takes any real effort to type on a keyboard. You'd think someone had tied 45lb weights to your hands.

I am not known for being very lazy......I hit the gym at 6:00 AM and begin every day with 1-1.5 hours of excersize and often lift 23,000 pounds in a workout..... then don't stop moving until 10:00 every night.  I just remember the old eBay......and it was easier to find what I wanted.

I can adapt.....but that doesn't mean I have to do it without whining a bit.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:27:11

General CategoryThe Cafe › We need a new eBay!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.