Send Topic Print
Replaced Cap (Read 160 times)
Budro
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Replaced Cap
09/29/12 at 17:31:14

So I replace the oil cap which looked like it was definitely leaking but is there no gasket that fits on the cover. Seems like there should be one since I assume oil is spraying on the valves, cam chain etc.

Budro

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Replaced Cap
Reply #1 - 09/29/12 at 18:30:40

just rtv

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 09/29/12 at 18:56:44

Well,, its a Littler bit better than RTV, Innitt? I used 3 Bond, kinda grayish stuff,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Budro
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 09/29/12 at 19:13:29

So does that mean there isn't one? I've got a couple of tripped bolts. Hopefully it won't leak too much.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 09/29/12 at 19:40:17

There is no gasket, per se,, youve just gotta use a gasket maker/sealer.

What did you use?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 09/30/12 at 03:07:13

Did you clean off the old sealer on the head cover when you removed it?
Have you looked at the instructions in the Technical Section of this forum to see how to do the job?
Don't use too much sealer - a thin strip is all that is needed.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Budro
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 09/30/12 at 05:22:22

Thanks. That pretty much answers my question. There was no sealer.  Sad

I was able to get the old plug out (It was very loose) and replace it and used the silicone on it etc. Is there some secret to getting the head cover off completely. I haven't found complete instructions and the bolt that acts as a stud wouldn't allow me enough room to swing the cover out and off. I 'm assuming I don't need to drop the engine.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 09/30/12 at 10:53:45

You walked off into this blind, didnt you? No Book, didnt ask first, man,, you made yourself a bit of a mess,,
Bolt you couldnt get out? Shezaa too long & shea dont come out,,Its gotta be in the head cover as its goin in, Then theres the upside down one on the front left, its gotta be in there.

Too much goo puts you at risk of closing off oil passages, no goo? Well,, sheza gonna leaka,,

If you twisted things off & youre okay with the "Hope it doesnt leak too bad",, How about a new way to think? Let me off you this idea, It has served me well.,.

I would rather something leak a little because I didnt get it tight enough, I Can gently tighten it a bit more, later. Its better to have something leak a littler because you just didnt get it tite enough, than twist threads out. These things are soft, theyre aluminum, not cast iron, Its not an old Chevy from the 70's, You cant go cranking down on stuff till it stops & then Puttin some Stank on It, just to "make sure it wont back out".. Youre way ahead to find a leak in a week than a twisted off bolt today,

IP Logged
Budro
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 09/30/12 at 11:41:22

Thanks man. I'm going to go ahead and run some silicone gasket maker around the head cover.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 09/30/12 at 11:42:48

Without removing it?

IP Logged
Budro
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 09/30/12 at 18:20:13

Right. No I removed it ran copper silicone high heat around it. One bolt in the back was broken off and one had a helicoil that came loose. Can't get enough torqure on the back right hand side. Leaks like even worse now. Will continue to mess with it until it stops.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 09/30/12 at 18:23:14

Man,, that sukks,, IDK your general mechanic skill level, but I know how cramped it is up there & IDK if I could handle those issues w/o getting the motor up on a bench,
I also know not one thing about what you used, but the book only names a coupla options for gasket goo,,not sayin theres nothing outside of that short list that will work, I just dont wanna have a problem, so, I go with what is a known good product in that application.

IP Logged
Budro
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 09/30/12 at 18:34:57

It's good permatex silicon rated at 700 degrees but I think the one broken bolt and the stripped one are causing most of the problems. If I can get the helicoil set and get a little torque maybe it will work. Doesn't take much torque. Problem is to really set the coil correctly I'd need to pull the jug. Anyway it will happen sooner or later.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 09/30/12 at 21:50:49

I set a thread repair kit in once, back in the 80's,, I cant even begin to remember how.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 10:27:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Replaced Cap

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.