Send Topic Print
scrapping left over (Read 197 times)
berekdinda1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

scrapping left over
09/28/12 at 23:37:18

Is it worth scrapping left over random metal?
I got a old broken Chinese floor car jack, some old door hardware (lock, deadbolt, hinges). Maybe 50 lbs total. Does it amount to anything at the scrap yard? Or is it like 50 cents?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: scrapping left over
Reply #1 - 09/29/12 at 02:24:56

Call thjem & ask them what theyre paying. It changes, You mite have $7.50 or you mite have $15.00,,
Orrr,, you mite just have fitty cent,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #2 - 09/29/12 at 03:52:12

You get more if it is "cleaned"- meaning sorted. Separate brass, copper and aluminum and you will get a better price.
I had an old aluminum extension ladder that I took the white metal and steel parts off and got $60 for it.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 09/29/12 at 04:12:35

I have been cleaning up the property of a friend of mine that passed away, and he had lots of metal.  Last fall I took a load and the price was $ 280 a ton for steel. Last week I took a load and the price had dropped to $ 165 a ton.

The metal recycle place is close towork, and I occasionally just drop something off for no money.  It is better that it is recycled than just dumped in the land fill. Other times if I see a fellow at the gas station next door with a load of metal - I will just give them the metal to include in their load.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #4 - 09/29/12 at 06:27:04

Car jack has oil in it so they're gonna hit you for that. It's probably not even worth your gas money anyways.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #5 - 09/29/12 at 11:20:21

Call and ask first. It depends on where you live and if they have a glut of certain metal. Copper is usually good with aluminum going up and down. Also, some yards like to deal with small loads while others only recycle industrial from factories. Let us know how you came out. It may surprise us all.  Wink

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #6 - 09/29/12 at 18:12:18

Is scrapping worth doing? It really depends,but I've paid my insurance,bought goodies for the bikes,bought ham radios and on and on.....from the money I've made scrapping junk metal. And that's just doing it a little at a time, mostly stuff other people are throwing away,old mowers and tillers,junk window AC's and the like. Every time I take a pickup load off it's $75-$200.

Worth it to me for 5 or 6 hours a month!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 09/29/12 at 19:36:33

Last time I junked a window unit they made me show them the receipt for the replacement,
Wanna sell 1 pound of copper here? YOu weigh it in, they frix a ticket, you create an account, give them a thumbprint,,a THUMBPRINT,, & theyll Mail you a check,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #8 - 09/29/12 at 19:51:36

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/29/12 at 19:36:33:
Last time I junked a window unit they made me show them the receipt for the replacement,
Wanna sell 1 pound of copper here? YOu weigh it in, they frix a ticket, you create an account, give them a thumbprint,,a THUMBPRINT,, & theyll Mail you a check,,

Dang JOG.....what "police state" do you live in anyway???? No, on second thought don't answer that...Might bring repercussions to your neighborhood!  That just flat out SUCKS !!!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #9 - 09/29/12 at 19:54:43

our local scrapyard is paying $10.25/ 100lb for junk right now.  probably not worth it for 50 lb.  my boy scout troop does a scrap drive evry yr or 2 as a fundraiser.  we gather up the 50 or 100lbs of scrap people have laying around - clean up their garage or yard - scouts get enough $$ to do some camping trips and get the benefit of working for it!  

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 09/29/12 at 20:50:58

ZAR wrote on 09/29/12 at 19:51:36:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/29/12 at 19:36:33:

Dang JOG.....what "police state" do you live in anyway???? No, on second thought don't answer that...Might bring repercussions to your neighborhood!  That just flat out SUCKS !!!

The scrapyard is in Longview Texas,,Of Course thers a "reason",, people stealing copper.. Well,, CRQAP, REally? You mean to tell me they cant tell the difference between some guy comin in once or twice a year with the kind of crap ya build up if youre doing some work around the house & one ancient window unit & someone who comes in every coupla weeks with a coula hundred pounds of copper?  Nooo,, its just soo much easier to play "Guilty till proven innocent",,

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 09/30/12 at 09:29:55

Couple months ago I took in a load of aluminum cans that had my pickup squatting. Got all of $48 dollars AND had to show them my driver's license before they would pay me. For aluminum cans. What, they think I knocked off somebody over some frigging junk? I've got several TONS of steel, iron, copper and aluminum here. I think I'm just going to weld up a reef for the pond or dig a big hole and bury it. Not worth the headaches.

Thank you tweakers and crack heads.  Angry

Oh, Memphis TN area.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 10/01/12 at 18:53:39

I brought 76 lbs of aluminum to a scrapper and barely covered my gas money.
Good aluminum. 6061-T6.

Edit:
Found the receipt while cleaning out my truck.
72 lbs of 6061-T6 @ .3/LB -  36 dollars
11 lbs 300 series stainless - @ .5/LB - 3.30
53 lbs misca steel - @.4/LB - 21.20 (I can't remember what this was though)
$60.50

--Steve

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #13 - 10/02/12 at 04:14:48

I do it just for the recycling aspect of it, beats that metal just laying around or at the bottom of a landfill somewhere.  As for showing my license, doesn't bother me.

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 10/02/12 at 04:43:54

I recycle when I can.  There is a place right down the street from work.  Small quantities of aluminum or copper or stainless steel are quick to sell as they have wheelbarrows and a small scale right up front.  When you have a trailer load things are slower as you have to get the truck weighed, wait in line to unload, and get weighed again.  It doesn't cost me anything in fuel to go as they are 1 mile from where I work.....it is just the time.  The last first time I went I had a trailer full of heavy steel and a truck bed full of aluminum.....and I got $ 700, the last time I went I only had a trailer load of steel and I got $ 217.  Steel prices are down right now.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:15:28

General CategoryThe Cafe › scrapping left over

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.