Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New throttle grip loose.. (Read 137 times)
Zeke342

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New throttle grip loose..
09/28/12 at 07:20:34

I recently put on new handlebars and Avon MT grips and now the throttle grip is very very "wiggly".. I can rotate it clockwise probably half an inch or more.. it still rotates counter clockwise normally and operates right.. but it never did this before the new grips.

Is there a way to adjust the throttle cable and increase the tension in it..??

I've taken the grip off and put it back on 3 times and nothing changes

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: New throttle grip loose..
Reply #1 - 09/28/12 at 09:51:53

I'm not clear on what's happening here...
Is the grip loose on the throttle sleeve?... or is the throttle sleeve loose?...
Is it the stock sleeve with a new grip on it?... or did the grips come with a new sleeve?...
Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Zeke342

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/28/12 at 09:57:53

Sleeve..?
You mean the white piece that was under the stock rubber?

That isn't on at all.. I doubt the grip will fit over that white piece so I didn't even bother trying to stick that on.. the grips didn't come with any sleeves (if sleeves are the piece I'm referring to).

Basically the throttle is just able to rotate clock wise about half an inch, I know the stock grip would wiggle clock wise just a little, but certainly not as far as these Avon MT grips are.

It APPEARS to be functioning properly and rotates counter clockwise just fine though.. but I'm worried if when I go to use the front brake, that that half inch of slipping is going to cause issues (if that makes sense).

This is the grip I purchased
http://cdn.cheapcycleparts.com/images/manual/production/product_images/235022...

IP Logged
LouSiana

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hannover, Germany
Reply #3 - 09/28/12 at 10:08:54

For me, considering the picture, it looks like it has it's own sleeve in it.

Is this a set-screw in the left part of the picture? Maybe it just wants to be aligned and then fixed.

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #4 - 09/28/12 at 10:10:48

You mean twist forwards(the wrong way) as opposed to twisting backward? Have you tried adjusting the barrel? It just sounds like there is too much slack in the cable.

IP Logged
Zeke342

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 09/28/12 at 10:19:17

I've tried tightening the screws built into the grips (LouSiana mentioned) but even 1mm tighter and the grips wont rotate forward on their own.

And yes.. I mean they rotate opposite to the direction they're meant to.

I read around and saw some other bikes have the issue and just needed to adjust the cable.. but I'm not entirely sure how to do that

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 09/28/12 at 10:40:10

I'm thinking this "grip" with it's throttle sleeve,.. is just free-wheeling on the bar, and not connected to the throttle housing...
If so, that's not going to be safe...

This may just not be correct for this bike...

Can you shoot us a couple of pics of the actual installation?... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Zeke342

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 09/28/12 at 10:54:13

Ill try and grab some pics later this afternoon.

I got the Avon grips because the guy on this thread said they worked fine for him
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1340677353

Luckily if the grip simply isn't for the bike I can get a refund, the eBay seller listed it specifically for the Savage (another reason why I purchased them)

The grip doesn't wiggle all around the bar and was somewhat snug going on.. I was contemplating just attempting to add a bit of tape under the grip.. just for an extra couple of millimeters?  

If I can I'll shoot a quick video of the exactly what the grip is doing..

One thing.. the throttle cable that does into the housing looked a bit longer when I put it on the new sleeve.. I feel like I may have pulled on the cable while it was disconnected but it didn't retract itself.. but I'm also not mechanic savy at all so my judgement should be taken with a grain of salt  Undecided

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #8 - 09/28/12 at 14:19:51

I've got a set of Avon grips myself.  It comes with it's own throttle sleeve,  You will have to adjust the throttle cable to take out the slack as the cam on the end of the throttle sleeve is a little different then the factory throttle sleeve.  I had to do this to mine when I installed them.  Mine had about 1/8 turn of free play in it before adjustment of the cable to take out the slack.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #9 - 09/28/12 at 14:26:20

I can't find my stock throttle so I can't verify, but there should be a barrel adjuster just like a bicycle brake-cable adjuster. You need to adjust that to get rid of the slack. When you turn the throttle all the way forward, that's where it's supposed to be at idle. That 1/2" of slack needs to be adjusted out.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #10 - 09/28/12 at 14:35:41

Here is a pic of the adjuster for the stock throttle cable.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Zeke342

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 09/28/12 at 16:44:48

Can anyone tell me how exactly the adjuster is SUPPOSED to work..?

I loosen the 2 inch long tube and tighten the locking nut onto it.. but the tube just rotates itself right back.. and even if I rotate the tube and hold it so it doesn't rotate back while i tighten the locking nut onto it, it still makes no difference in the throttle at all..

I used this video for reference
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NGz3Fw9s0g
his black tube/cable/rubber stopped slides out of the tube at about 30 seconds.. mine has nothing like that  Undecided

Right now (and always was) the locking nut and tube have no threads showing, it's as tight near the throttle as it will go.

I got it almost half an inch down showing as much thread as it can and still made no difference..

any suggestions?  Sad

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #12 - 09/28/12 at 17:09:05

The cable is binding in the barrel. It should spin "freely" (as free as it can). The crimp only holds the cable from pulling out - it isn't crimped onto the cable - there's a ferrule on the end of the cable that prevents it from pulling all the way out.

If you've adjusted it all the way and it still has slop, something else is wrong. You may have broken a tab in there.

IP Logged
Zeke342

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 09/28/12 at 17:11:01

Cavi Mike wrote on 09/28/12 at 17:09:05:
The cable is binding in the barrel. It should spin "freely" (as free as it can). The crimp only holds the cable from pulling out - it isn't crimped onto the cable - there's a ferrule on the end of the cable that prevents it from pulling all the way out.

If you've adjusted it all the way and it still has slop, something else is wrong. You may have broken a tab in there.

So.. how do I fix this exactly??

IP Logged
Zeke342

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 09/28/12 at 17:59:22

nevermind Cheesy got it fixed.. just had to mess with it and twist the black cable while twisting the tube thingy.. or something like that lol.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 04:22:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New throttle grip loose..

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.