Send Topic Print
Newbie Questions (Read 184 times)
Grayowl

Always learn from
yesterday

North Texas
Newbie Questions
09/27/12 at 07:35:32

Being a new Thumper owner (2011 bought from the dealership in 2012) I have found a wealth of information on this site - Thank you guys !!!  Smiley

I plan to keep this bike for awhile (wife says it is my last one), so I want to stay on top of any issues that could come up.  Since it is still under warranty I have been just riding and enjoying the bike.  So far have been putting on about 500-600 miles a month with no issues.

I have a couple of questions that I would like to ask :

I did the seat lift mod and it worked out great for comfort, but picked up the speedo rattle.  I took it back to the dealer and they blamed the seat mod for the rattle.  That did not seem right to me, but does that sound right to you guys ?  I guess I will be doing the speedo rattle fix at the next oil change.  

I am not sure if I have missed it or not, but what mileage do I need to start to think about the cam tensioner and adding Verslagen’s modified cam tensioner.  Does Verslagen still make the modified tensioners ?  From what I have read it seems to be the best way to go for minimum hassle.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Newbie Questions
Reply #1 - 09/27/12 at 07:42:56

The seat mod should not have changed the speedo......the cable goes under the tank and not under the seat.  The dealer is just being difficult.  Go to the tech session and look in the index to read about speedo rattles.

Don't worry about the cam tensioner until it is out of warranty.......your dealer doesn't seem to have a sense of humor. Grin  I believe people start talking tensioner inspection in the 10,000 - 12,000 mile range.  You riding style affects how fast you stretch the chain.  It is the heat cycles that stretch the chain and if you ride for hours at a time you will get good mileage from the tensioner....short trips speeds the problem up from a mileage standpoint.  Here is a link in the tech session where people reported the mileage on their tensioners.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1192027390

Use the Tech Section and the Index......it works.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
clearush

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deer Park,TX
Reply #2 - 09/27/12 at 07:52:44

yeah what dave posted. dealer is being a dealer and trying to weasle out of any repair work if possible. I would get in line for getting a cam tensioner and have it ready for when your warrenty runs out. I would install the modded tensioner immediatly after the warranty is out so you won't have to worry about it in the future, but that's me.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 09/27/12 at 08:45:17

You gotta a hole for a dealer, if this is how he's gonna be for the simple issues, time to find another.

Or if he's the only one, and you got time, time to contact suzuki.  You can be an a hole too.

Don't volunteer info to the dealer.  the mechanic wouldn't blame the mod for the rattle unless it was.

cam chain check: 5000 at the earliest, 10000 is usual, common is too late.  teach your right ankle to liston for it.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Grayowl

Always learn from
yesterday

North Texas
Reply #4 - 09/27/12 at 10:04:23

I didn't tell him about the seat lift he noticed the extra rubber spacers and went from there about the rattle, as it changed the mounting of the rear of the tank according to him.  Since the spacers are above the rear tab on the tank, I questioned his logic.

I agree my dealer leaves a lot to be desired.  I have several others in about a 40 mile radius, so I may check one of those out.  Got the best price on my bike from this local guy as he had it in the shop for a year and it was the color I wanted.  I have worked in the diesel world for the last 30 years and would get fired if I dealt with customers the way they do.

Verslagen are you still doing the modified tensioners ?  I only have 2500 miles on the clock at this point, but wanted to make sure I was stay ahead of the curve on the tensioner.  I had read through the treads and post and did not really see a mileage to start wondering about it.  I will have to work with my right ankle since there is not anything to feel yet, so I am guessing I will feel a vibration or click when it starts to fail.  I will probably go in and look when the warranty is out next spring as that should be around 10,000 miles or a little less.

Thanks guys for all of the information it is appreciated.
Smiley

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 09/27/12 at 10:31:25

My 98 still has its original chain and tensioner. Speedometer/odometer was deleted several years ago with +/- 16K miles showing. Has never needed a valve adjustment and hasn't given any vibration/noise from the tensioner area. The bike was always ridden hard, thousands of miles at nearly full to full throttle. I credit it still being in operable condition and as tight as it is to good oil that was always changed at least once a quarter whether it looked like it needed it or not. You're a diesel guy, you know what good oil is...  Wink

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
J C Stokes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 09/27/12 at 12:54:35

It highlights the problems associated with any owner mods while the bike is under warranty. Mods give dealers a long deep worm out hole.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #7 - 09/27/12 at 13:34:46

J C Stokes wrote on 09/27/12 at 12:54:35:
It highlights the problems associated with any owner mods while the bike is under warranty. Mods give dealers a long deep worm out hole.

it only gives the dealer an out if the customer isn't aware there are laws that protect him/her from that.  The dealer/manufacturer has to show proof that the modification caused the issue to deny the claim.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 09/27/12 at 20:16:18

Go home, pull the risers, see if it still rattles. It still rattles, I bet, then, take it back.,

Id be curious to hear his logical explanation on the mechanism by which raising the seat makes the speedo rattle. I would want to ask if taking the rear wheel off makes it fly out.. should you secure it before removing the wheel?
If you had raised the speedo, would that have made the seat rattle?

There are words to describe such people, & ya just cant use them here,,

BUT! I can say this,

If someone was gonna circumcise him, Id say theyd need a Guillotine.

dikkhead, wadda jerk..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #9 - 09/27/12 at 20:39:51

Grayowl, I noticed you said your wife says it's your last bike. I can tell you right now my wife ain't gonna' tell me what to buy, when or where to ride or...."what dearie? Yes ma'am." Sorry guys, I gotta' go.  Embarrassed

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #10 - 09/28/12 at 04:44:31

The things that men will do to keep a woman around...

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #11 - 09/28/12 at 06:15:37

... are not as crazy as what they'd do to have them go away.

IP Logged
Grayowl

Always learn from
yesterday

North Texas
Reply #12 - 09/28/12 at 07:08:21

I pulled the risers yesterday and the rattle is still there, just as you said Justin_o_guy2.  It is less noticeable though / may need to look at why that is a little bit. I am going back by the dealer this morning to see what words of wisdom he can shed on it now.  I have been down this path before with various dealers on cars, bikes and diesel engines and from both side of the fence.  Did not really feel like a big contest yesterday, but today is a different story.

The reference to my last bike has been said before to no avail by my wife.  I hope she was not using it as a reference to my age and last bike this time though.  Undecided I am one of the old guys too, there seems to be a few of us on the site. I learned a long time ago to keep her as happy as possible and my life will be happy also.  

WD – I change the oil at 1500 miles along with the filter.  You are right that is cheap insurance for the longevity of a motor.  Thanks for the info on the valves also, I was wondering why they wanted them checked every 3500 miles.  That seemed a little obsessive to me.

IP Logged
Grayowl

Always learn from
yesterday

North Texas
Reply #13 - 10/02/12 at 09:40:49

I hate to say the dealership was mostly right about the speedo buzz and the rubber spacers.  Shocked I removed the rubber spacers for the riser mod and the buzz was still there but much better.  I tighten the two 6 MM bolts on the tank hold down a little bit more and it was gone.  Went to nylon spacers for the riser mod and tighten the bolts (6 ft-lbs) and the buzz has gone again.  If I loosen then slightly the buzz will start to come back, the looser you go more the buzz.

It appears that it some harmonic dealing with the engine RPM (not bike speed) and the tank along with the added rubber spacers holding the tank down to the factory isolators.  When you have rubber on both sides it cause the issue, but with something solid on the seat bracket to the tank side it brings the tank down in better contact with lower isolation mounts and the buzz goes dormant.  Bolt torque also come into play, you can change the torque on the bolts and make the buzz change also.

Living and learning in this deal.  Thanks for all of your help and input into the issue, it sure helped to get to the root cause of this problem.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 06:12:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Newbie Questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.