Send Topic Print
YOu got a problem? (Read 202 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
YOu got a problem?
09/26/12 at 21:23:30

Need some Hayulp? Well,, we need information in order to help you.

I think its time we put our heads together & work up a kind of list/guideline of sorts, of info the forum needs in order to decrease the confusion/frustration & get people the help they need quicker,

Of course , what year, how many miles,

If there has been any recent work done. What was done just before the bike started acting up,, including getting gas, did the problem present itself "In full bloom" or did it start off small & get worse,,

Its cool including stuff about "Mods on the bike", but, including those & not explaining the bike has run fine for a year after those mods is really not helpful.,
If the problem is there the first time its started after a mod,, well,, mite just wanna have a look at what was just done,,
I digress.,
\

Okay, folks, how can we put together kind of a forum form?
Could we do that & put it somewhere & when someone starts asking questions & we start offering ideas & then more pertinent info leaks out & we off more ideas & then they Finally get around to telling the whole story  the answer is dead obvious & would have been obvious in the beginning,, well,, you get where IM going, I hope,.,
So, waddo youse guys think?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: YOu got a problem?
Reply #1 - 09/26/12 at 22:51:41

Seems a good idea,... haven't the foggiest how it could be done...

I just see it as a game... fire off random guesses, based on info presented...

Basically,.. the experience, and observational skills of noobs can't be determined...  we just have to be as helpful and encouraging as possible...
We repeat ourselves a lot...  but noobs don't know that...
They're getting this info for the first time,.. and they don't know yet, how this forum is layed out...
Some of these 'noobs' can rebuild an engine blindfolded,... others, don't know what a spark plug is...  

Even if we create a system/form,... noobs will not be aware of it...

Maybe someone will have an answer...
I got nuttin'...
I just keeps guessin'...
... and I'm wrong a lot... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #2 - 09/26/12 at 22:56:14

and I'm wrong a lot... Huh...

Hey! Looka thayur! Youre RIGHT!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #3 - 09/27/12 at 05:54:41

JOG your idea has merit but I have to tell you....after spending 9 or 10 hours a day talking to customers and trying to cypher out problems with their lawn mower/string trimmer/tractor etc. the folks that come here needing help are a breath of fresh air.  

At least the scooter folks have some clue. Our small engine customers are......uh......dumber than a box of rocks???? Most of them can't even identify the spark plug! Heck, I see at least 5 units a week that are just out of gas! No other problem!

So......let's go easy on the noobs, but yeah,a few starter points can help.

Just sayin'

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #4 - 09/27/12 at 10:42:54

Just draw up a standard form with all the basic info needed like you proposed, then have it posted up somewhere on the forums or on a tab at the top if the mysterious johnh doesn't mind doing that and just have people copy it in their post and fill it out.   Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
elitemunkeycrew

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sierra Vista, Az
Reply #5 - 09/27/12 at 12:44:39

Can't you make a NOOB POLL forum?
Check the box type of poll.
For example:
Does your throttle seem sluggish?
X YES
  NO
If yes go to the link with the best advice for petcock issues.

I'm a total noob that usually does a search first before I ask the question. If I can't find what I'm looking for or isn't tailored toward my specific question or outside my mechanical know how (which isn't much) I ask the question.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 09/27/12 at 13:08:37

The last few noobs needing help range from those that spill their guts to those that "got a problem" and you're left to wonder what that problem is.

And problems vary from a burnt out light bulb to a smuldering heap upon the ground.

For a burnt out light, I don't need to know year, mileage or mods unless it concerns that particular light.  A burnt out kickstand light on a '99 is an easy fix... you don't got one.  But I need that info for a '88 with 32k miles that won't start.

Another common problem is terminology.  Is studdering lugging or surging?  We could really use a list of common terms and there meaning.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 09/28/12 at 09:30:46

verslagen1 wrote on 09/27/12 at 13:08:37:
The last few noobs needing help range from those that spill their guts to those that "got a problem" and you're left to wonder what that problem is.

And problems vary from a burnt out light bulb to a smuldering heap upon the ground.

For a burnt out light, I don't need to know year, mileage or mods unless it concerns that particular light.  A burnt out kickstand light on a '99 is an easy fix... you don't got one.  But I need that info for a '88 with 32k miles that won't start.

Another common problem is terminology.  Is studdering lugging or surging?  We could really use a list of common terms and there meaning.

I have been married to the same woman for 18 years....and we still don't communicate mechanical stuff well.

When she says:  "The car won't turn over".....I immediately start thinking that there are battery or electrical problems.  What she means however is that the starter works....but the car won't start or run.

When she says the car is "Missing Out"......it means the engine is not running smooth.  On the VW desiel it meant that the cruise control was not very smooth when going down hills.

I end up either having to ask more questions.....or just doing my own review of the issues.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #8 - 09/30/12 at 15:00:53

When I worked in Apple developer support, almost all questions were of the type; "when I do this, that happens - why?"   However, very few would give enough details about the context or environment surrounding the problem.   In order to alleviate the usual (and inevitable) back-n-forth and expedite the solution, we posted a "How to ask a question" in the forum header.   Then, whenever a question was asked where it was obvious the asker didn't follow the rules, we would refer them to that forum entry first.   The format can be loosely defined so you only fill in the pertinent portions.  In other words, if you're asking about the cam chain, your custom muffler is probably unrelated.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #9 - 09/30/12 at 15:36:06

Flow chart for common problems with YES/NO branching?

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 09/30/12 at 17:26:46

Savage_Rob wrote on 09/30/12 at 15:36:06:
Flow chart for common problems with YES/NO branching?

I had tried to work this out, but it's just too much effort for me.

but a combined effort could get it done.

pick a symptom, additional questions to weed it out and propose how to fix it.

I moved jog's last post to start the basic troubleshootin' post.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 09/30/12 at 17:33:47

What I was hoping to accomplish was just getting people to lay out the necessary back story & describe the problem in such a manner as to not have us tossing out answers today & then tomorrow get details pertinent to solving it that werent known & the time weve put in it & answers weve given simply do not apply, because the details werent there.
Did anyone ever find out what the problem was with the "My bike is acting up" & he had filled up a whole 5 minutes before the problem came up? I dont even know how that one worked out,

IP Logged
Todd James

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mansfield, Ohio
Reply #12 - 09/30/12 at 23:32:50

In his last post ( #22 ) he said it turned out to be "bad gas".

2007 S40, Dyna, 52.5/150, .073 Spacer, 2 Turns
2007 Sportster 1200, V&H Pipes
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #13 - 10/01/12 at 01:12:58

Mr. Orange is an excellent example of a "disconnected" poster.   He frustrates the hummy out of the helper crew as he comes back with a brand new thread on a different symptom of the same error chain like clockwork, explains NOTHING and wastes our helper crew's time and effort trying to help him.

Some would call this behaviour trollish, but hey, even trolls own Savage motorcycles (best bike for short legged persons after all) and we know the troll species is pretty well represented here on the list, now don't we?

I can catch them (generally after the fact) and then do something to keep it from being so irritating.   And although Mr. Orange is irritating, he does not smell like he is making it up from whole cloth as we have had in the past (and those were very frustrating).   I don't think he's a troll, just a very careless poster.

I can't keep it from being frustrating though.

Wink    

sorry,  I can only catch on to them but so fast -- you can help some if you will review their last 25 posts under their personal data if you have one that starts to bug you a bit.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #14 - 10/01/12 at 10:18:23

If someone were VERY motivated, this could actually be fully automated, given the combined knowledge base of the forum.  If you think about it, all the past questions and answers are really an information database.  Employing regression, one could go back thru the archives and build the required question & answer tree. Then, strip out the redundancy and wrong answers and you have an efficient, useful, and quick tool (kinda like me in my youth, altho according to some of my girlfriends, I was a little too quick sometimes).

Years ago there was a language particularly suited to artificial intelligence and this kind of application, called LISP (from LISt Processing).   I experimented with it in college (40 years ago), but haven't touched it since, plus, it has likely been superseded with bigger-better-faster nowadays anyway.  One of cool things about LISP is it would "learn" thru association.  In other words, you didn't have to "hard relate" every cause-n-effect.   Instead, you gave it all the data, a skeletal structure with some rules, and it filled in the rest of the tree thru logical inference.  It was also dynamic, so it would ask context questions we humans might forget...  "does this only happen on startup?".   Lastly, it was also easy to add new stuff to the database and LISP would stash it and associate it intelligently.  In a way, it would be like having a HAL2000 of Savage knowledge.  "I'm sorry JOG, I'm afraid I can't associate that"    Smiley

Ahhh, if only I were more motivated    Cool

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 14:20:21

General CategoryThe Cafe › YOu got a problem?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.