Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
2013 Suzuki S40! Fuel injected?! (Read 901 times)
Coaxial

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
2013 Suzuki S40! Fuel injected?!
09/26/12 at 12:12:08

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product%20Lines/Cycles/Products/Boulevard%20S40/2...

Is this the first model to do so? and forgive my ignorance as I am not mechanical: Would we be able to convert our current?

2007 Suzuki Boulevard S40 Black. K&N Air Filter, Jardine Rumbler Exhaust, Raptor Petcock.

145 Main Jet, 45 Pilot Jet, 1.5x
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: 2013 Suzuki S40! Fuel injected?!
Reply #1 - 09/26/12 at 12:16:17

Probably a little too early to ask this question......as I doubt anyone has seen one of these bikes yet.  If you look at the enlarged photo they have posted it still has the carb in the photo......I can see the float bowl drain and the petcock vacuum line.

Unless you buy a wrecked bike......you are probably not going to be able to afford the new parts for a conversion.  I would think at a minimum it would require a computer, exhaust with oxygen sensor, fuel pump, injection and air filter systems, wiring harness.....and the tabs on the chassis to mount this stuff.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
J C Stokes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/26/12 at 12:20:26

Specs definitely say Suzuki Fuel Injection, picture seems to show a carb. Very interesting

IP Logged
Coaxial

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reply #3 - 09/26/12 at 12:23:31

Strange how it still says rated at 63 MPG from the previous 2012 model to this new fuel injected model.

2007 Suzuki Boulevard S40 Black. K&N Air Filter, Jardine Rumbler Exhaust, Raptor Petcock.

145 Main Jet, 45 Pilot Jet, 1.5x
  IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #4 - 09/26/12 at 12:29:46

I wonder if it's a closed loop system with an O2 sensor?  It'll probably be cheaper to buy the new bike and sell your old one, than to try to convert an old bike.  Now the real question....were they able to shut off fuel on decel and get rid of the popping/backfire, as well as on shutdown? Lips Sealed

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 09/26/12 at 12:37:46

It's alive!.... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Borracho

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #6 - 09/26/12 at 12:41:13

Welcome to the 21st century! Well, this solves the petcock issue. And the jetting, brass plug removal, decel pops, etc...

2004, Jardine muffler, K&N drop-in, Corbin seat, Raptor petcock and Sportster handlebars with phony ISO grips.
  IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #7 - 09/26/12 at 12:42:42

Serowbot wrote on 09/26/12 at 12:37:46:
It's alive!.... Huh...

For better, or for worse? Undecided  That is the question.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #8 - 09/26/12 at 13:47:23

Don't count on solving "popping" on deceleration. If you look a little you will find a lot of bikes with fuel injection and some sort of air injection mechanism in the exhaust, as well as forums asking how to remove it.

I have a 2007 Yamaha Majesty 400, which is fuel injected. At low altitudes it is quite docile and quiet. But I took it across Trail Ridge Road, and it does quite a bit of popping on deceleration at high altitudes. Ran just fine otherwise.

Some bikes retain the old carburetor for use as a throttle body, and I suppose they could mount the injector in there as well.

It is pretty usual for fuel injected bikes to mount the fuel pump in the tank, where it can be kept cool by being submerged in fuel. The fuel petcock usually goes away, and so does the reserve. Instead you get a "Low Fuel" light, which on the S40 could perhaps go where the old "Check Sidestand" light used to be.

Another fun "quirk" of fuel injection is the shutting off of fuel on deceleration. This works quite well at reducing emissions, as with no fuel there are no emissions. But there is a transition when the throttle is opened, or when the engine reaches some predetermined speed just above idle. It goes from no fuel at all to fuel at some mixture that will burn, and this often results in a jerky throttle transition just as the throttle is moved. It feels like a lot of drive train lash. It happens with cars, too, but power-to-weight is a lot lower and you don't notice it especially with automatic transmissions and torque converters.

I guess, along with all the jetting threads for older machines, we'll now have threads on how to program the injection and which version of Power Commander to buy.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #9 - 09/26/12 at 16:40:33

I thought it was discontinued. I'm glad it's still alive because parts are gonna stay cheap.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #10 - 09/26/12 at 16:43:18

Coaxial wrote on 09/26/12 at 12:12:08:
http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product%20Lines/Cycles/Products/Boulevard%20S40/2...

Is this the first model to do so? and forgive my ignorance as I am not mechanical: Would we be able to convert our current?

My guess is you would be much much cheaper to go with an aftermarket fuel injection system if you are really set on going efi on your savage.

I found one not to long ago that was about $600 for the complete kit to convert thumpers upto around 750cc  I think it was.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 09/26/12 at 16:48:28

Charon wrote on 09/26/12 at 13:47:23:
Don't count on solving "popping" on deceleration.

Yarp...  I'll stick with the carb,.. even if I got a new one, I'd swap in a carb...
Way cheaper to fix,.. and easier to troubleshoot... I hate all those pricey, sensors... (MAP,O2,TPS,...)... plus having to have a fuel pump...
Yuck... Huh...

If they do add a Low Fuel light,... that might be cool to adapt to a carbed bike...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #12 - 09/26/12 at 18:24:49

Heck, My 05 V Star 1100 has carbs  with all the sensors and fuel pump and such. Wonder how long it will take people to figure out how to tweak the fuel map on it

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #13 - 09/27/12 at 03:14:00

Wow!! I never in a million years expected Suzuki to keep the LS650 alive going forward ... yet they have and with EFI no less!! Awesome!! Now c'mon Suzuki ... give us a TU650X and I am selling my Kawi!!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #14 - 09/27/12 at 05:24:34

This all sounds great......but somebody needs to let the dealerships know! So far I've talked to 5 different dealers and they all are still waiting for the Zuki model lineup from the factory!

Go figure!!!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 22:29:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 2013 Suzuki S40! Fuel injected?!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.