Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
"Acting Up" Like a Clockwork Orange (Read 424 times)
Mr.Orange
Ex Member

"Acting Up" Like a Clockwork Orange
09/25/12 at 18:12:00

my bike is acting like its having trouble getting gas. did petcock vac test, tried new vacuum line, the carb, fuel filter, and petcock filter are spotless. so now what?

« Last Edit: 09/25/12 at 22:23:06 by Oldfeller--FSO »  
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Re: acting up
Reply #1 - 09/25/12 at 19:10:22

Is your throttle cable binding up? Since you ran through all the basic trouble shooting for gas delivery, that would be my next guess.   Shocked

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Mr.Orange
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 09/25/12 at 20:16:49

I did install new bars and rerouted the cable. Would that make it feel like it was losing power unless I give it all the throttle

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 09/25/12 at 21:05:23

6 words describing your problem ain't gonna cut it.
what year is your bike, how many miles, what have you done to it?
no need to go anywhere but the engine.
you say it's loosing power?  not getting enough gas?

How does it idle?
when are you loosing power?

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 09/25/12 at 21:16:42

When is acting like that? Have you shut it off & drained the bowl to see if its full?
Have you leaned over & watched the carb while you twist the gas?

Describe " having a hard time getting gas"..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 09/25/12 at 22:04:31

FIRST STEP, you gotta verify Mr. Orange did the Serowbot's Test correctly AND FIND OUT EXACTLY WHAT RESULTS HE GOT FROM DOING IT.

"I did the petcock vac test ...." coming from a newbie generally means he didn't understand the test and/or he likely didn't do it correctly.  

There is no "petcock vac test" but we do have a Serowbot's Test that you can tell us all about how you go about doing it and what sort of results you got from doing it.

Start talking Mr. Orange -- talk a lot, talk so much you convince us you actually did the tests you mentioned and talk to much you tell us the in detail the results you got from doing the tests.

==================================

He mentions redoing his bars -- has he ever checked to see that his repositioned throttle actually opens up his carb butterfly all the way?  

He can do that by watching the cable unwind over the half circle -- does the unwinding throttle cable open the half circle as far as his fingers can open it?   If not, he's screwed ....  the throttle cable should open it just as far as his fingers can.

==================================

Beware, helper people, he has taken his entire throttle and fuel system into ittly bitty pieces, including the carburetor.    

Lots & lots of room for oopsie in doing all that.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 09/25/12 at 22:25:16

Well,.. if the petcock and carb have been thoroughly tested,.. you must be getting gas...
So,.. check for air... filter,.. filter boot, intake manifold... is something restricting, or leaking air?...

Believe OF,.. there are no shortcuts to testing parts... a complete test, eliminates one possibility, but it must be a complete test and elimination...
Petcock test,.. good
vac line,.. good,..
carb,... good... ( a lot of possible's there)...
Getting fuel,..
Air filter,... filter boot,.. intake manifold,...
Getting air...

Hope you found it...
Because what's left, sucks... spark and compression...

If you get past fuel and air,... (be sure....)
We'll guide further... just pop back with results...

There are also several safety cut-outs... .. but they don't usually mimic, fuel shortage...

Don't give up... keep testing, be thorough,.. post results,.. and we'll follow and help...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Re: "Acting Up" Like a Clockwork Orange
Reply #7 - 09/25/12 at 22:42:50

He mentions redoing his bars -- has he ever checked to see that his repositioned throttle actually opens up his carb butterfly all the way?  

IDK,, But I asked,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 09/25/12 at 22:55:08

Yep, you did ask.

Orange has "done all the tests" and "fixed all the problem areas" but he still has a bike that is acting like it needs fuel.

This one will be fun to watch as it develops along.

I think he really hasn't "tested" and "fixed" as much as he thinks he has.

But, we shall all see now won't we?

Orange, did anyone mention you are supposed to LEAVE YOUR PETCOCK IN SEROWBOT TEST MODE THE ENTIRE TIME YOU ARE TROUBLE SHOOTING IT?

Serowbot, you wanna tune your Tech Post words to that effect as we are having newbies "do the test" then immediately throw all the plumbing back into stock configuration and then find out 5 weeks later they weren't supposed to do that  --  to temporarily eliminate all the vac petcock ill effect symptoms YOU HAVE TO LEAVE YOUR PETCOCK IN SEROWBOT TEST MODE DURING THE ENTIRE TIME YOU ARE TROUBLE SHOOTING IT.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 09/26/12 at 08:45:10

Exactly when did this start? If it was running okay, then ya messed with the bars, & then it wasnt okay,, what would be the first thing to do?

Its hard to help people if they dont explain, step by step, the timeline.
KNowing what was done & when a problem surfaced can help solve a problem,
\

Drop the whole story on us, just start over & tell it all.

IP Logged
Mr.Orange
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 09/26/12 at 20:37:21

ok here goes. 2001 with 20k miles. cone filter, jardine exhaust, mixture screw 2 1/2 turns out, cam chain tensioner modded.  got on bike to go to work and when Im in 1rst giving it gas she acts like no gas is getting in. i have to really pull back on the throttle to get it to go. on the hwy she feels jerky like there is something blocking the fuel from completely getting to where it needs to go. even in N throttling up it spits and sputters unless i give it a lot of throttle. carb was clean, the petcock and fuel filter are debris free. I did replace bars with a set of broomsticks but cable is not in bind and the throttle moves the half circle as much as my finger will. carb bowl is full of fuel, vac line is fine (although there is a faint smell of gas in it) spark plug is light tan and free of smut.  SEROWBOT TEST was completed...correctly.... and there was no change.  anything else yall need to know????

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 09/26/12 at 20:52:38

Is there anything you did 10 minutes before it changed? Did it suddenly do this or did it build up slowly?

I would want to pull the air inlet off the carb & watch the slide move up when the giggle stick twists.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 09/26/12 at 22:13:45

Mr.Orange wrote on 09/26/12 at 20:37:21:
... cam chain tensioner modded.

any chance the cam is outta time?

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #13 - 09/27/12 at 05:48:52

"vac line is fine (although there is a faint smell of gas in it) spark plug is light tan and free of smut.  SEROWBOT TEST was completed...correctly.... and there was no change.  anything else yall need to know????"

You are still making the assumption that "doing" the Serowbot test just once is enough and you say it is "fine" although you got a sniff signal that your diaphragm is in the early stages of failing and is starting to weep a little gas down the vac line.

During your current trouble shooting phase you want the vac petcock OUT OF PLAY as it can shift and confuse the symptoms of the other systems issues, "muddy up the water" if you prefer that phrase.

Put it and LEAVE the bike in Serowbot Test mode until you have identified your trouble areas and have fixed it.   Doing otherwise can test your sanity.

================

Next question:   How long has your bike been modded with all the stuff you list?   How many of these things are current mods?

You do realize that all that stuff that you did when taken together lowers your system vac level considerably to the point where a vac petcock becomes really debatable as an serviceable fuel delivery system?

Undecided

But hey, you can keep that stock vacsucker on your heavily modified bike until the cows come home -- and we will watch you struggle and struggle and struggle with all the misc strange new "issues" that will come visit you in an ongoing fashion.

Hells bells, you got people getting ready to send you in to check your cam timing.   How much fun is that little piece of muddy water ???  

And the one that comes after that will be even more fun.

I own a 2002 with 20 grand total on the clock and my vac petcock failed at 14,000 miles with a symptom set about like yours, not long after I reduced my systems vac level with a full set of mods.  So yeah, you sound right familiar to me.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Mr.Orange
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 09/27/12 at 19:15:38

only mod I myself added was the filter. so your saying get rid of stock petcock and check diaphragm?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 08:24:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › "Acting Up" Like a Clockwork Orange

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.