Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Counter-steering explained... (Read 446 times)
Spamy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Counter-steering explained...
Reply #30 - 09/25/12 at 13:34:59

IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #31 - 09/25/12 at 13:36:50

I think teaching a kid to ride a bicycle has some good examples in it, but the thing is that there subtle.  It doesn't take much counter-steering to make a bicycle roll (lean) and turn...it doesn't have much mass, compared to a 300+ lb motorcycle.  Wink  

I think part of why some people don't realize they are counter-steering is because of learning the skill on a bicycle...since it takes much less force, you just don't realize it.

In fact, we usually tell a kid "lean to turn", right?  If you watch a kid lean on a bicycle, what auto-magically happens?  They unintentionally turn the handlebars slightly to the left when they lean their body right, and vice versa.  True?   Grin  I think counter-steering is much more subtle on a bicycle, but it's definitely still happening.

Just some thoughts.  Wink

Dave

IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #32 - 09/25/12 at 13:39:53

Spamy wrote on 09/25/12 at 13:34:59:

I'm glad our license tests in the US aren't that difficult!  Grin

Dave

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #33 - 09/25/12 at 13:41:48

Dave Sisk wrote on 09/25/12 at 13:30:48:
Quote:
Wrong.  If you are not moving the point where the tires contact the earth, and keeping that point underneath the CG of the motorcycle, you will fall over.  This is called countersteering.

No, it's not.  That's not what we're even talking about.  That's not called "counter-steering"...that's called "balancing".  Grin

Dave

What we have here is a failure to communicate!   Grin
You're both leaving a few conditional statements left unsaid.
Going straight, CG over points of contact = balance
Turning, CG over points of contact = asphalt facial

WWW   IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #34 - 09/25/12 at 13:42:52

verslagen1 wrote on 09/25/12 at 13:41:48:
What we have here is a failure to communicate!   Grin
You're both leaving a few conditional statements left unsaid.
Going straight, CG over points of contact = balance
Turning, CG over points of contact = asphalt facial

Grin

IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Reply #35 - 09/25/12 at 13:45:47

Here is what Wikipedia has to say on the subject (though I know they aren't always right).

"At low speeds

At low speeds countersteering is equally necessary, but the countersteering is then so subtle that it is hidden by the continuous corrections that are made in balancing the bike, often falling below a just noticeable difference or threshold of perception of the rider. Countersteering at low speed may be further concealed by the ensuing much larger steering angle possible in the direction of the turn."

So like I was saying before, with the demo the instructors gave, you always countersteer, even at a dead stop. The issue is that because it is low speed, you are having to balance the bike(i.e. you aren't going fast enough to keep that angle on the front wheel so you steer into the turn to balance) but either way, you countersteer even at low speeds.

'97, k&n airfilter, bcb pipe, custom leather seat, monoshock, custom bars
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #36 - 09/25/12 at 14:22:59

Spamy wrote on 09/25/12 at 13:34:59:

Now I understand why the young Yakuza in America ride their scooters so well...

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #37 - 09/25/12 at 20:45:53

CalisOsin wrote on 09/25/12 at 13:45:47:
Here is what Wikipedia has to say on the subject (though I know they aren't always right).

"At low speeds

At low speeds countersteering is equally necessary, but the countersteering is then so subtle that it is hidden by the continuous corrections that are made in balancing the bike, often falling below a just noticeable difference or threshold of perception of the rider. Countersteering at low speed may be further concealed by the ensuing much larger steering angle possible in the direction of the turn."

So like I was saying before, with the demo the instructors gave, you always countersteer, even at a dead stop. The issue is that because it is low speed, you are having to balance the bike(i.e. you aren't going fast enough to keep that angle on the front wheel so you steer into the turn to balance) but either way, you countersteer even at low speeds.

You and I may be the only ones around here that understand this.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #38 - 09/25/12 at 21:00:13

Quote:
You and I may be the only ones around here that understand this.

You are correct. The rest of us are total dumb-a$$e$ who couldn't possibly understand anything so esoteric.  Thank you so much for gracing all of us with your highly intelligent presence and omniscient understanding.  I for one could not sleep tonight if I did not know that a very subtle and undetectable amount of counter-steering is required at even a whopping 1mph.  Thank you so very much for clearing that up! You are indeed correct, and that is highly useful information that I will rely on to keep me from having fatal crashes every time I find myself zooming along at 1mph.

Grin

Dave

OF  .....    now now boys, play nice or we'll countersteer your topic on over to the deep hole where the stinky stuff goes.

« Last Edit: 09/25/12 at 22:41:34 by Oldfeller--FSO »  
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #39 - 09/25/12 at 22:48:53

I can't believe you guys are still on about this. Just ask someone who races motorcycles and they'll tell you how it works.

You can always tell the guys that don't understand counter-steering because every time they come up on a hard curve, they slow way the heck down.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #40 - 09/25/12 at 23:05:44

I saw a video of a guy steering using strings once...  pull the left  bar, go right...   ... pull the right bar, go left...

If you watch closely,...
Lean right,.. the bars will shift to the left to rebalance,... and you'll go right...

So,.. the argument isn't "Countersteerer's vs leaners"...
It's about, those that initiate countersteer, with their arms vs their ass...
Either one, initiates countersteer...
Arms are faster... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #41 - 09/26/12 at 03:31:12

The counersteering process may very well be operating during slow-speed (walking pace) maneuvers on a motorcycle, but is barely perceptable ... we still instruct students to turn the bars in the direction in the direction they want to go during the slow-speed exercises and this works ... the physics involved are interesting for sure, but newbs generally do not want or need to clutter their brains with this info to learn how to steer a motorcycle! Same goes for higher speed turns during which the physics of coutersteering is much more perceptable ... we have found that Students really do not want or need a detailed explanation of the forces involved in order to learn how to do it, other than the oft repeated phrase, "push left, go left. push right, go right"

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #42 - 09/26/12 at 03:49:43

I think I now see part of the problem with this discussion.  

Some think countersteering happens only when you yank (or push) the bars one way to get the bike to rapidly tilt the other way.  This is, in fact, countersteering.  Deliberate countersteering.  So, their definition of countersteering is: forcefully moving the handlebars one way to make a bike tilt the other way.  

Some folks who understand deliberate countersteering don't realize the bars are always being manipulated back and forth to balance the bike, anyway, whether you are in a turn or not.  

Some folks, like me, see countersteering as mere physics, whether done intentionally or not.  Anytime the contact patches on the tires pull the bottom of the bike one way to make the bike tilt for natural balancing (just riding along in a straight line), or balancing in a turn, or getting leaned down in a turn in a hurry, THAT is countersteering.  Simply a result of physics,... either done subconsciously or deliberately.

So, I could care less how much or little anyone restricts or expands their definition of countersteering.  
-- I know deep in my heart, it is simply physics, and that no one can ride a motorcycle without the bottom of the bike being moved around for balancing and/or rapid maneuvering.  
-- If anyone wants to think that countersteering occurs only when the bars are deliberately yanked to get the bike to hunker down in a turn, that is just wonderfully fine with me.

Maybe we could have own expanded definition of countersteering, done in two parts:
-- Deliberate countersteering.  Yank the bars one way to get the bike to rapidly lean the other, e.g., turn the bars to the right to get the bike to lean left.
-- Inherent countersteering.  Moving the bars around simply to keep from crashing.  
    --- Moving the bars back and forth tiny amounts to keep the CG of the bike over the contact patches of the tires while riding in a straight line, usually done subconsciously.
    --- Moving the bars back and forth in a turn while they are turned a bit off of center in the direction of the turn to keep the bike steady and balanced in a turn.

it's all just countersteering to me.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #43 - 09/26/12 at 04:48:50

When teaching newbs, we don't tend to use the term "counter steering" as some "over-thinking" types amongst Student Motorcyclsts will interpret the concept as being counter intuitave ... which can be confusing for them ... the term "push steering" seems to work much better for the explaination part of the lesson.

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 19:29:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Counter-steering explained...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.